• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye Infection?

hdishmon

How do I know when my Cavalier has an eye infection. His eyes always seem to have a slight discharge which I thought was normal. The past few days they look a little cloudy. Is this an infection?

Hello!

Well I dont know much about this, but I can say that sometimes one of Frodo's eyes will become irritated when he gets a hair in it, or when he gets a limb in the face while on a walk. Sometimes he wakes up in the morning and they are irritated as well. They will be red, cloudy (like you obvserved) and have discharge. Our vet told us this is normal, and because it happens to Frodo maybe twice a month, I've grown to think its normal. So I say your pup is probably fine :)

Does anyone else think differently?

Hmmm, how old is he? Is this something new? Or have you seen it before? What color is the discharge when you wipe it? Are the whites of his eyes pink? Is he rubbing his eyes?

My Louis is 1 1/2. He's been treated for an eye infection before and I didn't even know he had it, the vet told me during a routine exam. His eyes have been very watery lately too. I've been wiping them several times a day. I'm sure he's fine but I worry about my Louis all the time. Thanks for all the advice.

You might want to take him to the vet to have his eyes checked. It could be several different things.

One of my cavaliers had watery eyes, and the vet said it may be from teething. When she was 1 yr old we took her back to the vets because she was rubbing her eyes. It turned out to be entropian, where some of the eyelashes are turned inward and rub on the eye. The vet did a laser procedure on her eyelids to make the lashes turn out how they're supposed to. Entropian should be treated by a vet, because it can cause corneal scarring.

Other cavs just have slightly 'buggy' eyes, and they need eyedrops to clean their eyes to remove irritants. Or it could be an infection. The best thing to do is have the vet look at him. Good luck :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Coloured discharge would indicate infection, as would red or pink 'white' areas. Also a tendency to close the eye or even scratching the ear. Monty scratched his ear, but, in fact, had a slight graze on his cornea.

Back