• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

best age to remove retained baby canine tooth?

Lucy's mum

Henry is now 7.5 months but still has one upper baby canine in place even though the adult canine is down.

Pups often get this sorted when neutered as they are already under anaesthetic. He has been neutered just before he was 6 months and at that time the vet recommended leaving the upper baby canines until he was about 8 months in case they came out naturally. One did in fact come out (plus the lower ones had already come out straight away as adult canines emerged). But the last one is wedged in tight still - no sign of moving.

Is it about time we saw the vet about it? It seems a pity to have to put him under anaesthetic just for that but I'm worried it might affect his dentition in the long run if we don't.

I would wait until 8 months like the vet suggested if I were you.. I know it's just a few more weeks but even the tightest of Kosmo's teeth came loose and fell out much quicker than anticipated. In the mean time give him lotsa chewy things to hopefully loosen it a little bit. Nylabones, rawhides etc.. good luck ;)

Back