PDA

View Full Version : Shedding!

Erika
10th February 2007, 04:37 PM
:shock: Murray is shedding now! I wouldn't think they would shed in the winter. But we have dog hair everywhere!

Any advice on the shedding? I am trying to brush him every couple days or so. Is there anything I should be doing to help control the shedding better? Any kind of brushes seem to work better than others?

Yesterday my son and I were making cupcakes and as I was stirring the batter I noticed a ruby colored hair mixed in. :yuk:

Is this typically a time when they shed? Any advice?

Cathy Moon
10th February 2007, 05:51 PM
I find that a slicker brush (used gently) removes lots of loose hair. And vacuuming often... :v*cuum:

Barbara Nixon
10th February 2007, 06:15 PM
Your heating could be making him shed. Hairs in all sorts of places are the mark of a doggie home.

I think someone on my local Freecycle site may have a dog, too. They are giving away a set of interior doors, which are in good condition except for some scartch marks and nibbled edges. I suppose they could have a violent toddler ? :lol:

Nicki
10th February 2007, 08:12 PM
Something like a stripping knife will help to remove the dead coat - we use the Mars Coat King, a bit expensive to buy but they last forever!!

It's the Coat King - Stripping Rake - 20 blades Ex. fine (Ref. 2449)

There's an image here

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Coat_Kings.html

They look vicious but actually if you pull it across your arm it doesn't hurt at all. They only take out the dead hair - the first time you use it you will be amazed!! When they are moulting, I use it a couple of times a week - normally just every couple of weeks or so.

I would brush every day as a matter of course anyway - it's easier to keep the coat in good condition that way. I use a slicker with soft tips, a comb with rotating teeth to remove any knots, and finish off with a Mason Pearson natural bristle brush.

Crittercall
10th February 2007, 08:36 PM
I am so used to tumbleweeds of dog hair it's pathetic! I tried to brush Wallis' ears the other night and she couldn't wait to get away from me. So I just continue to pick up the wads of hair and go about my business. (Having all hardwood or tile makes it a bit easier to wrangle tumbleweeds than carpet would!)

Alison_Leighfield
10th February 2007, 09:17 PM

There's an image here

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Coat_Kings.html

It works like magic, we loved it for our girls! well worth the purchase :flwr:

Alison.

Fraggle
10th February 2007, 09:26 PM
We use a Furminator on Bella and it helps cut down the shedding considerably.

With 2 cats as well we need a Dyson Animal to finish off! :v*cuum:

Lani
10th February 2007, 11:18 PM
How is the coat king different than the Furminator?

I just bought a furminiator after reading such great reviews on this site ...

Lucky is almost 8 months old now and definitely getting some real spaniel hair!!!

Erika
11th February 2007, 12:30 AM
Lani, Murray is about 7 months old now, so our little rubies are about the same age! Do you think it is his adult coat coming in? I may look into some of the brushes/products you are talking about to help. We had Yorkies before our Cavalier, so we are not used to shedding. I am interested in the Furminator, I've heard some good things about it.

Crittercall
11th February 2007, 02:35 AM
I have what we call a matt comb and is called a de-matting rake on the website. One of the things I like most about mine is that I was able to turn all the blades around so that works well for a lefty!

StacyC
12th February 2007, 04:52 AM
I use a shedding blade on these two (it's u-shaped looking thing, I got it at Target) and save your $$ and get a dyson!!! The shedding drives me nuts! It is everywhere!!! Gross. I'm so worried when I make something for someone that they are going to pull a big dog hair out of it!!

Caraline
12th February 2007, 05:10 AM
I've been using a slicker brush and yeah, the vaccuming often as well. :v*cuum:

Hey Nicki, I have been considering getting one of the Mars Coat Kings, but wasn't sure if it was okay to use on a Cav coat. Does it actually cut any of the hair, or does it just pull out the loose ones?