• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eyes tearing

Sharlea

My 20 week old Ava has started having red stains under her eyes and almost all the way across the top of her nose from the tearing. Her eyes have always teared alittle , but this past week it seems to have gotten worse and the staining has started. I tryed the apple cider vinager this week, and today I bought the Petgold tear stain remover. It says to use 3 times a day at first. I hope it works. It is starting to distress me. She does have a vet appt. on Wed. and I can have them check them to make sure nothing else is going on. I have read on here that this might just be a cav thing. Please tell me it will get better!!!!
Thanks.

I will tell you guys what REALLY works on the tear stains!!

Karlin told me when I posted on it ... Renu - the contact lens solution. The kind that is a one-step solution and safe to put in the eyes.

I cut off a corner of a new kitchen sponge ... moistened it with warm water - wrung it out and added some renu until it was wet ... in a day and a half, the tear stains are GONE!!!

No kidding. It's like a miracle!!!

(And that said ... he's still tearing so I am taking him to the vet on Monday ... I've also noticed him blinking a bit and that has me concerned ... not sure if it is just the dry air in the apt or something else ...)

Like with humans, dry air will cause excessive tearing, as will wind or very cold air .

Monty tears in cold air or wind, but only izzy stains alot. Having tried many commmercial products, I gave up and resorted to plain water, which keeps him clean, but the stain remains, though it does vary in intensity. His eyes were vet checked, but no problem was found.

I think tearing may be inherited, as the breeder said that Izzy's mum was prone to tears and stains, too.

That's good you're taking her to the vet.

Sometimes cavaliers get clogged tearducts and a veterinary ophthalmologist needs to flush out the tear ducts. It could also be an infection or entropian, where some of the eyelashes turn inward. All of these problems can be fixed.

Hope she's doing better soon! :flwr:

You all know that I'm of the "See Your Vet" school of thought!

Both my cavs get what we refer to around here as "eye goobers". And Wallis has issues because of her small eye. We had a cat who was wonderful about standing on his hind legs and holding her face to clean her eyes, but unfortumately we lost him so now Bubba has to do it. No, he doesn't lick her face but he does take a Kleenex and clean out the yuck. She doesn't stain very badly and we don't notice it on the Ruby.

It can be anything from allergies to just part of the dog's nature. First rule out anything major then go from there! :D

Back