• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

All is Well After Surgeries

Lynn

I just wanted to let all the Mommies & Daddies that are worried sick (like I was) about having their pups spayed or neutered that they shouldn't worry so much. Molly & Max had their surgeries last Wednesday and came home Thursday morning. Thursday night Max had diarrhea & vomiting through the night so on Friday morning we went back to the vets and they gave Max an injection of fluids so he wouldn't get dehydrated and some meds to soothe his tummy. (By the way, when they injected the water into him and he had a hump on his back almost the size of a baseball...but it soon went away.) He is now fine, although I am still feeding him just rice and boiled chicken.

The toughest part now is keeping them from jumping. Molly & Max constantly jump on the couch & love seat, so we put the love seat upside down on top of the couch.....it's kept them from jumping on it...but it's also been tough because now we have just one recliner and straight chairs to sit on! BUT it's been a small price to pay to keep them from jumping. I bought more baby door gates to keep them in just one room and away from the stairs. We have just one more week to go and then can put our living room back to normal...and knowing how quickly a week goes by, 'normal' will be here before I know it.

I also bought sweaters for them...Molly's sweater is very long on her body and covers up the surgery area...and has kept her from licking it, and also seems to be keeping the wound clean.

I just wanted to share my experience and also thank all that assured me all would be just fine.....it was.

Have a GREAT day!!!

Lynn

Glad everyone is okay. It's scary to have them put under for anything. Shelby goes in for a teeth cleaning on Wed and I'm nervous. I know I don't really have any reason to be...just a natural mommy feeling.

It is frightening to be on the "waiting for my baby" end of the rope. But from the vet side, they are usually fairly quick, routine surgeries.

Glad your guys made it through and back home again. I love the way you've re-arranged your furniture! The things we won't do for our dogs.

Lynn said:
I just wanted to let all the Mommies & Daddies that are worried sick (like I was) about having their pups spayed or neutered that they shouldn't worry so much. Molly & Max had their surgeries last Wednesday and came home Thursday morning. Thursday night Max had diarrhea & vomiting through the night so on Friday morning we went back to the vets and they gave Max an injection of fluids so he wouldn't get dehydrated and some meds to soothe his tummy. (By the way, when they injected the water into him and he had a hump on his back almost the size of a baseball...but it soon went away.) He is now fine, although I am still feeding him just rice and boiled chicken.

The toughest part now is keeping them from jumping. Molly & Max constantly jump on the couch & love seat, so we put the love seat upside down on top of the couch.....it's kept them from jumping on it...but it's also been tough because now we have just one recliner and straight chairs to sit on! BUT it's been a small price to pay to keep them from jumping. I bought more baby door gates to keep them in just one room and away from the stairs. We have just one more week to go and then can put our living room back to normal...and knowing how quickly a week goes by, 'normal' will be here before I know it.

I also bought sweaters for them...Molly's sweater is very long on her body and covers up the surgery area...and has kept her from licking it, and also seems to be keeping the wound clean.

I just wanted to share my experience and also thank all that assured me all would be just fine.....it was.

Have a GREAT day!!!

Lynn

Just so you know-- they inject hydrating fluid (usually lactated ringers)-- you can't inject just water or it will cause cells to explode. I had to give sub q fluids to this last litter--the pocket of fluid looks weird for a while. sandy

Cathy T said:
Glad everyone is okay. It's scary to have them put under for anything. Shelby goes in for a teeth cleaning on Wed and I'm nervous. I know I don't really have any reason to be...just a natural mommy feeling.

Do you put the dogs on antibiotics before and after a teeth cleaning? I just had my first cavaliers teeth fully cleaned (we usually scale our dogs teeth, but his got bad) and decided to treat him as if he had a murmur, even though he doesn't. sandy

My experience has been that any dog who under goes a dental is put on prophylactic antibiotics after the procedure (usually an injection is given at the clinic). This is because the gums are such a straight line into the blood stream and you want to lessen the risk of infection setting in.

glad to hear that molly and max are safe at home to recover :D

sounds like you had a bit of a scare beforehand and i'm glad everything turned out okay.

very clever with the sweaters!

hope everything gets back to normal soon!

:flwr: k

I always get so worried and upset if I have to take anyone to the vet for any reason. I'm glad that both of your angels are doing OK after their surgeries!

Glad to hear that Molly & Max are home safe & sound. Sorry to hear poor little Max had a bit of a rough night, but all's well that ends well.

Back