• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Iron Rich Foods

Crittercall

Both Cavs were blood tested recently and both showed mild anemia. I personally blame the Hill's diet that they had been on for some time but we won't go into how I feel about Hill's!! I have changed them over to Eagle Pack (chicken) and they just LOVE it.

The vet also suggested that I add some iron rich foods to their diet. Wallis was on an iron supplement for a while but her stomach could not tolerate it. The only ones I can think of are liver and spinach. I'm not sure how to prepare the liver for her (Wallis) and think that there are surely more iron rich foods than that but I'm brain dead.

Any suggestions?

I'd boil the liver (open your windows lol) for a doggie.

Any organ meat is good for increasing iron.

Chicken giblets are good, if the liver is too strong for their tummies.

I like liver & onions but had to cover it with Ketchup for my kids! ;D

Zippy - somehow I acquired a taste for liver and onions when I was a kid even though no one else in my family will eat it!

I was reading a bit more about iron rich foods and have come to the conclusion that what may be the best thing for me to do is buy liver in the baby food section of the store and mix that with her regular food.

One article I read mentioned "haggis" (shudder) and another mentioned "faggots", which took a bit of searching to find that word in connection with food!! It's pretty gross sounding to me, too.

Thanks for the advice -

Cathy Moon said:
:lol: Critter, I've tried haggis, and it's really very tasty! :lol:

ewwwh-- it is traditionally made in a sheep pluck (stomach and made from organs). I am scottish and can't stomach the thought (lol).

Critter,

When I purchased my newf the breeder has a packet of information about every newfoundland and puppy. When I got to the food section it said 'feed science diet at your own risk". I thought that was interesting.

Back