PDA

View Full Version : Canned pumpkin?

Remali
11th February 2007, 11:40 PM
I've been reading about loose stools, and it was suggested to try canned pure pumpkin. So, I am wondering, how much of it to feed the first time?

Cathy T
11th February 2007, 11:48 PM
Start with a scant teaspoon. I feed both of a mine pretty much a full tablespoon with their meals. It helps combine the probiotic, enzyme and missing link.

WoodHaven
11th February 2007, 11:49 PM
We use about a tablespoon-- it seems to work on loose stool and constipation. I think it just helps balance the water level in the bowels. Just make sure it is pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. sandy

Remali
12th February 2007, 12:25 AM
Thank you so much! I did use a bit more than that, like a couple of tablespoons (I should have waited for the replies here, and I didn't have luck searching for the amount online), I mixed it in with the chicken and rice, so I hope I didn't over-do. I checked the label to make sure it was 100% pure pumpkin, and not just the pie filling. It sounds like pumpkin is good for a lot of things.
:?

Cathy T
12th February 2007, 03:00 AM
I say I use a tablespoon but I bet if I actually measured it it's probably more.

LauraD
12th February 2007, 03:13 AM
Riley used to have diarrhea problems (from eating the parts of the Camphor tree that fall into our yard :sl*p: ) and I added the pumpkin to his food. First time it was about a 1/2 teaspoon per meal, now I use about 1 teaspoon per meal every day. Firm stools all the time now. I think it has really helped.

Karlin
12th February 2007, 03:45 AM
It doesn't matter if you feed more. It is just another vegetable in one sense, and I regularly give mine winter squash of various types, cooked. It is really just the roughage as far as I know that helps with the runs. Don't know if there's actually anything within pumpkin.

Remali
12th February 2007, 04:21 AM
Thank you so much for all the great advice, this has been sort of a daunting thing this diarrhea/loose stools problem. So far this afternoon and this evening Bentley hasn't had any more troubles, so I am hoping we're getting back to normal now. I am still going to take in a stool sample though, and give a call to my vet in the morning though.
:)

Zippy
12th February 2007, 04:36 AM
Okay folks, I've been looking for plain pumpkin for a while and can only find pumpkin with spice added or pumpkin pie filling (with spices).

Where in the supermarket do you find plain pumpkin?

Thanks very much. :flwr:

Caraline
12th February 2007, 04:56 AM
Could you just use home made soup? It is so easy to make. Just boil with water & whatever flavouring you want (chicken or vegetable stock) & then purée

Cathy T
12th February 2007, 05:02 AM
Okay folks, I've been looking for plain pumpkin for a while and can only find pumpkin with spice added or pumpkin pie filling (with spices).

My grocery stores have it in eithe the baking section or the canned vegetable/fruit section.

Kodee
12th February 2007, 05:22 AM

Since your in my neck of the woods - I got mine at IGA but have also seen it at A&P. It is in the pie filling aisle - but just check the lable for 100% pure Pumpkin (the one with spices etc was right next to it).

Jen
12th February 2007, 04:12 PM
Ours get it with every meal, we don't really measure--just a large glob works. We also use it to "seal" their Kongs--and then pop them in the freezer so they last even longer. I've filled an ice cube tray with pumpkin and they love a cube as a treat.

Remali
12th February 2007, 06:23 PM
I found the Libby's pumpkin in the canned veggies section of my grocery store. I was just walking along and there it was, I didn't even have to dig around for it like I thought I would. Maybe another grocery store might have it if your local one doesn't?

Hey, neat idea! Pumpkin cubes! I love it! I should try that.

Well, Bentley is VERY much better and back to normal stools, yay!

:flwr:

moniechris
12th February 2007, 06:57 PM
If you can't find the pumpkin, canned yams will do the same. They are both really high in fiber and my boys (and little one) love them ;)

I find that the pumpkin in some stores is a seasonal item, so I stock up when I find it!

Remali
12th February 2007, 11:55 PM
Well, I just can't get over how the canned pumpkin has helped Bentley, I am so happy, and amazed at how quickly it works! His stools are back to normal!

Jen
13th February 2007, 03:45 PM
cl*p That's great!

Lani
13th February 2007, 03:56 PM
Lucky loves the Pumpkin, but I was finding when I put it in with his food he wasn't eating his regular food unless I had the pumpkin on it ... (spoiled!!!)

So now I just feed him his kibble and then he gets treats throughout the day - usually a half of a Sam's Yam and some Carrots, a few chicken chips. He LOVES the Sam's Yam's as a treat and it seems to have the same effect. (I'm knocking on wood now because his stools been good & firm for several months now ....)

The plus side of the Sam's Yams is he doesn't boycott plain kibble because of them ...

sramirez
13th February 2007, 06:48 PM
I feed all of mine a dollop of pumpkin and fat-free yogart on both meals/day. I was feeding them probiotics, but figured the yogart does about the same thing for the stomach flora. My grocery store actually has their own brand of non-spice pumpkin at a much lower cost, so you might check that out. The last time I bought it the check out guy looked at me funny (I had 24 cans) and I told him I really don't bake that many pies icon_whistling

Sheri

Kodee
13th February 2007, 09:51 PM
I feed all of mine a dollop of pumpkin and fat-free yogart on both meals/day. I was feeding them probiotics, but figured the yogart does about the same thing for the stomach flora. My grocery store actually has their own brand of non-spice pumpkin at a much lower cost, so you might check that out. The last time I bought it the check out guy looked at me funny (I had 24 cans) and I told him I really don't bake that many pies icon_whistling

Sheri
If someone would bake that many pies, my daughter would be their slave for life! How she loves pumpkin pie!

Remali
14th February 2007, 05:45 AM
I'm hungry for pumpkin pie....! :lol:

creavis1
15th February 2007, 08:18 PM
I started using pumpkin when Kaelin started having problems with her anal glands. She's only had problems once since. She used to be a picky eater but she loves pumpkin. :wggle: It made dinner time a lot easier.

Remali
16th February 2007, 04:22 AM
It's really fabulous isn't it?! Both of my dogs are doing so much better now, and have even gained a little weight (they were a bit lean and I was a bit worried about that).