• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Canned pumpkin?

Remali

I've been reading about loose stools, and it was suggested to try canned pure pumpkin. So, I am wondering, how much of it to feed the first time?

Start with a scant teaspoon. I feed both of a mine pretty much a full tablespoon with their meals. It helps combine the probiotic, enzyme and missing link.

We use about a tablespoon-- it seems to work on loose stool and constipation. I think it just helps balance the water level in the bowels. Just make sure it is pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. sandy

Thank you so much! I did use a bit more than that, like a couple of tablespoons (I should have waited for the replies here, and I didn't have luck searching for the amount online), I mixed it in with the chicken and rice, so I hope I didn't over-do. I checked the label to make sure it was 100% pure pumpkin, and not just the pie filling. It sounds like pumpkin is good for a lot of things.
:?

Riley used to have diarrhea problems (from eating the parts of the Camphor tree that fall into our yard :sl*p: ) and I added the pumpkin to his food. First time it was about a 1/2 teaspoon per meal, now I use about 1 teaspoon per meal every day. Firm stools all the time now. I think it has really helped.

It doesn't matter if you feed more. It is just another vegetable in one sense, and I regularly give mine winter squash of various types, cooked. It is really just the roughage as far as I know that helps with the runs. Don't know if there's actually anything within pumpkin.

Thank you so much for all the great advice, this has been sort of a daunting thing this diarrhea/loose stools problem. So far this afternoon and this evening Bentley hasn't had any more troubles, so I am hoping we're getting back to normal now. I am still going to take in a stool sample though, and give a call to my vet in the morning though.
:)

Okay folks, I've been looking for plain pumpkin for a while and can only find pumpkin with spice added or pumpkin pie filling (with spices).

Where in the supermarket do you find plain pumpkin?

Thanks very much. :flwr:

Could you just use home made soup? It is so easy to make. Just boil with water & whatever flavouring you want (chicken or vegetable stock) & then purée

Zippy said:
Okay folks, I've been looking for plain pumpkin for a while and can only find pumpkin with spice added or pumpkin pie filling (with spices).

My grocery stores have it in eithe the baking section or the canned vegetable/fruit section.

Zippy said:

Since your in my neck of the woods - I got mine at IGA but have also seen it at A&P. It is in the pie filling aisle - but just check the lable for 100% pure Pumpkin (the one with spices etc was right next to it).

Ours get it with every meal, we don't really measure--just a large glob works. We also use it to "seal" their Kongs--and then pop them in the freezer so they last even longer. I've filled an ice cube tray with pumpkin and they love a cube as a treat.

I found the Libby's pumpkin in the canned veggies section of my grocery store. I was just walking along and there it was, I didn't even have to dig around for it like I thought I would. Maybe another grocery store might have it if your local one doesn't?

Hey, neat idea! Pumpkin cubes! I love it! I should try that.

Well, Bentley is VERY much better and back to normal stools, yay!

:flwr:

If you can't find the pumpkin, canned yams will do the same. They are both really high in fiber and my boys (and little one) love them ;)

I find that the pumpkin in some stores is a seasonal item, so I stock up when I find it!

Well, I just can't get over how the canned pumpkin has helped Bentley, I am so happy, and amazed at how quickly it works! His stools are back to normal!

Lucky loves the Pumpkin, but I was finding when I put it in with his food he wasn't eating his regular food unless I had the pumpkin on it ... (spoiled!!!)

So now I just feed him his kibble and then he gets treats throughout the day - usually a half of a Sam's Yam and some Carrots, a few chicken chips. He LOVES the Sam's Yam's as a treat and it seems to have the same effect. (I'm knocking on wood now because his stools been good & firm for several months now ....)

The plus side of the Sam's Yams is he doesn't boycott plain kibble because of them ...

I feed all of mine a dollop of pumpkin and fat-free yogart on both meals/day. I was feeding them probiotics, but figured the yogart does about the same thing for the stomach flora. My grocery store actually has their own brand of non-spice pumpkin at a much lower cost, so you might check that out. The last time I bought it the check out guy looked at me funny (I had 24 cans) and I told him I really don't bake that many pies icon_whistling

Sheri

sramirez said:
I feed all of mine a dollop of pumpkin and fat-free yogart on both meals/day. I was feeding them probiotics, but figured the yogart does about the same thing for the stomach flora. My grocery store actually has their own brand of non-spice pumpkin at a much lower cost, so you might check that out. The last time I bought it the check out guy looked at me funny (I had 24 cans) and I told him I really don't bake that many pies icon_whistling

Sheri
If someone would bake that many pies, my daughter would be their slave for life! How she loves pumpkin pie!

Back