View Full Version : Wesley might get a big sister!!

My Wesley
12th February 2007, 01:09 AM
I've been contacted by an owner who may not be able to keep her 7 month old Blenheim girl. I'm sad for her but excited for me!

I will keep you updated when I hear more, but it sounds like a great fit!

Cathy T
12th February 2007, 02:00 AM
Keep us posted!!

My Wesley
12th February 2007, 04:39 AM
Well sure enough her pup was from a pet store and she paid a bundle to bring home a puppy that had kennel cough. :(

Backyard breeders are REALLY starting to p*ss me off.....

Anyway.... I told her to make sure she's making the best decision for herself and her pup, as she just can't give her the attention she needs. And we'll be talking more in the morning.

So far....

7 month old Blenheim female
Needs to be spayed
Needs to be microchipped
Needs to be potty trained

I hope it works out, because at least I'd be able to put in the work this dog needs. I just hope she understands that there's no way she can get near the $2000 back that she paid for her, whether it's with me, or with any other potential buyer....

Which brings me to start a new topic....

12th February 2007, 01:36 PM
I'm going to move this thread to the general section as this particular case isn't a breed rescue situation. :thmbsup:

My Wesley
12th February 2007, 01:52 PM
Thank you Karlin! Woops!

12th February 2007, 01:56 PM
Good Luck!!! Let us know how it goes. Sounds very exciting. :-)

My Wesley
12th February 2007, 01:57 PM
Ok, so she's really interested and would like me to come by tonight.

Seeing as Lady isn't spayed and is 7 months, should I immediately schedule it if I get her? Wesley is 4 months and will be neutered at 6 months.


12th February 2007, 01:59 PM
I would take her into the vet for an all-over check out and get advice on when she should be spayed. I think it would be a complete dog-by-dog basis. I hope all works out! I know you have been wanting another doggy so bad! :flwr:

Barbara Nixon
12th February 2007, 02:16 PM
As she has a possibly dodgy background, my first call would be the vet. Many think a spay before a first season is beneficial, anyway (reckoned to reduce the chances of mammary tumours). I'm not sure how early a boy is sexualy mature (ie producing active sperm), but there is always the exception, who matures earlier than normal.

On one of the many vet programmes, over here, was a 'sick' Blenheim, only very young, who gave birth, at the vets, to three puppies (luckily healthy, but tiny ) , when she had been bought from someone who only had puppies together , so Dad was a baby , too.

12th February 2007, 02:59 PM
I agree about seeing a vet 1st. I don't see why you should pay her, you're doing her a favour. I'll look at your other thread again to see what everyone else thinks.

12th February 2007, 03:56 PM
Oh congrats and keep us posted. I agree with a general vet check up to make sure everything is in order. Why cant she keep the pup out of curiousity?

My Wesley
12th February 2007, 04:37 PM
Ok, so we made the ultimate decision that it wouldn't be the best idea for us. As we are still working on potty training Wesley, we don't want to take on the task of having two that need to be potty trained.

This whole time I've been wanting an older rescue Cavalier. Preferably 2-5 years. I don't really want to stray from my first goal.

So anyway, I've told her we can't do it. But I actually do have a friend that I've gotten interested in Cav's and I'd refer her to her if she wanted me to.


My Wesley
12th February 2007, 04:42 PM
Oh, and she was getting rid of her because she doesn't give her the time she needs during the day. She pretty much saw the puppy in the window and went for it, realizing later it wasn't a good idea.

As far as how we got in contact, I had made a post on craigslist that I was looking for an older Cavalier to home, in case any owners had found they couldn't keep theirs for some reason. I made the post because I had just missed out on a perfect 2 year old tri girl that was just posted on there. Yet the owner must've picked first come first serve. Where she should've (in my opinion) let the e-mails come in and sort through to find the best. She only had a $200 fee. I feel had she waited, she would've seen mine.

So, I figured in order to not miss out in the future, I'd put myself out there first. That's when I came into contact with the girl with the 7 month old that has been going back and forth about keeping her and wanting a good home for her.

My husband just has no patience to have to potty train two puppies. Which is again, why I wanted an older Cav. Wes just needs a buddy! :)