• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

fretting

shardylan

Can anyone suggest anything to help my newly adopted dog to settle.I have kept pretty much to his routine and this is his 3rd day with us but today he seems really unsettled.Hes been off his food but today he hasnt touched it at all and wont drink ,Hes just lying around and im starting to get worried .Any ideas?Thanks

just keep playing with him and inter act!! when we got freddie at first he was like that but he has come out of his shell, the nights were the worst for us, so we got a snuggle puppy and it really helped!

Please read the links on the top of the rescue section. There is a lot of advice about how to handle rescue dogs which basically means any dog going into a totally strange and new situation. It can take days or weeks for them to relax into a new home -- everything is totally strange to him right now. There's good advice there and from links on my rescue website.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1705

This is normal behaviour for a new adult dog.

Is he doing any better? I bet it is all just so new and scary for him, it may take some time for him to feel at home. Just give him lots of love, and if he goes for very long without eating or drinking maybe talk to your vet. Maybe something tasty in his food, I recently started feeding my dog some boiled chicken and plain white rice, along with about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin, and I now mix a little of that in with his dog food.

Hey Shardylan

I've heard people talk about the "3 week new home blues" and I think there is probably some truth in it. About 4 weeks ago we adopted a 2 year old, and though he didn't seem distressed, I knew he was a little flat. Then around the 3rd week he was a changed boy with all of his confidence there. Just give him time and indulge him a little.

If he is otherwise well, don't get too concerned about his refusal to eat. Again, our little guy was terribly picky and actually went for 3 whole days without eating. Just stay calm, don't get caught up in the "I'll try every food imaginable" trap. If he is drinking fluids, then just sit back & he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat.

I know it can be worrying, but he will settle. Three days is still very early days.

Hi Shardylan, it's scary isn't it! they won't eat, they wont drink, you think they are sooo miserable and you worry and worry and worry some more.
Minnie hid in our garden the first night she came to us and I was immediately terrified. Then she wouldn't drink and I thought that she would dehydrate and again I was terrified.......why isn't she happy? why is she afraid? why?...... why?..... why?.....

Truth is they are scared. Everything is new and they need time to settle in and get to know the layout of their new home. I let Minnie look into every nook and cranny in the house , I let her smell everything and as far as the not drinking goes, I gave her an ice-cube and she was quite happy to take it to her bed (her safe zone) and lick it lustily. The one mistake I did make was FUSSING too much; you can overwhelm them with love....so hard to resist petting them and cuddling them.
Minnie has been with us just over a month (I had to look it up) and Cara is only here a week and a half but, right now as I type this , they are both lying on the floor behind me chewing on their raw hide bones and are both very happy.
Just give it time and in a few weeks you will look back and wonder what all the fuss and worry was about....

:flwr: :hug: :hug:

I found a lot of holding and soft speaking really helped - I was fortunate enough to stay with her at all times she was awake.

Most people are going to disagree with what I did, but she got over her nervousness mighty quick, bonded really well. I dealt with the problems excessive holding and handfeeding throughout the day brought in the second wk when it was obviousl she enjoyed being here and was alot more confident.

Now she is very confident, quite happy, so loving and why yes quite the little devil at times too!

Back