• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poo eating

Jen

Gus has developed this disgusting habit of hauling around his poop...if he beats us to it before we've picked it up. He started doing this as it got colder--it's like a nice little frozen toy for him apparenlty. Abbey even gets in on the game and chases him around---until she realizes what he has, then she stops! :lol:
Now he's taken it a step further and eats it after he's done playing with it. :yikes I know this is common, especially for pups, but in reading how to break this, I've come across some advice on using spinach in their food. Apparently after it's processed it makes their poop smell "distasteful" for lack of a better word.
Have any of you with this issue tried this? Aside from picking it up right away, which we try to do, I'm hoping adding spinach will also help.

I think I've tried everything (sprinkles, pills, spinach, etc) and the only thing that works for me...picking it up before Shelby can eat it :roll:

Jen, I just noticed the same thing! None of mine ate poo, but I happened to glance out the window and saw Chocolate doing it. Now we are accompanying the dogs outside to clean up after them immediately. I used to clean up once a day.

I've also increased their calorie intake, as I thought she may be hungrier from burning off calories to stay warm. She has had 1-2 opportunities to eat poo and has not done so. I really do think they need more food when it's so cold out!

i have heard that giving a dog a chunk of pineapple a day stops them eating poo .....somethng to do with when they poop the pineapple comes out very bitter tasting and it puts them off

worth a try :flwr:

Cathy Moon said:
Jen, I just noticed the same thing! None of mine ate poo, but I happened to glance out the window and saw Chocolate doing it. Now we are accompanying the dogs outside to clean up after them immediately. I used to clean up once a day.

I've also increased their calorie intake, as I thought she may be hungrier from burning off calories to stay warm. She has had 1-2 opportunities to eat poo and has not done so. I really do think they need more food when it's so cold out!

This morning when I was out with them there were 2 piles that he didn't bother. He seems to go in streaks with it, and it didn't start until it was super cold--so maybe you're right. He loves the spinach, so we'll keep doing that and see what happens. He eats mulch in the summer time, maybe poop is his winter favorite! :lol:

funny---not that this is any help to you jen, but indy has a great love of horse poop!

indy gets very excited whenever he hears the mounted police come through and i have figured out that it's like a dinner bell to him :lol:

apparently grass is not something that will keep dogs from eating poop so good luck with the spinach and pineapple.

they can be so strange sometimes..... :sl*p:

k

Back