• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dog arthritis

I'm not a subscriber, so cannot read it.

Does it say anything about greenlipped mussels or Chinese herbs? I found those to be very effective with my last dog. The vet prescribed thoem, and they worked!

that's great that you have a vet who's knowledgeable in that kind of treatment.

I just read the article, it mentions green-lipped mussels several times. Apparently they are a source of glucosamine and/or condroitin. The article doesn't mention Chinese herbs but does mention some Western herbs. It's a typically (for WDJ) comprehensive article, covering a full range of options, and pros and cons.

Diet is covered--according to the article, many people find improvement for their dog with a grain free diet, and also, the article mentions avoiding nightshades which include tomatos, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. EVO contains tomato and potato so it might not be a good arthritis solution.

That's interesting about nightshades. I should probably subscribe to WDJ. I haven't seen that kind of information in my other dog magazines. Now that Chocolate is turning 5 in March, I want to start paying more attention to aging related info.

Do you know if sweet potatoes are a nightshade? I'm looking at this food called Pinnacle as something I might switch them to for awhile. It has trout, oatmeal, sweet potato, etc.

no sweet potatoes are not a nightshade. i used to hear that people who avoid tomatos, potatoes, peppers and eggplant see noticeable improvement in arthritis. Tobacco is another nightshade.

I've heard of Pinnacle, it sounds good. i'd love to hear your experience.

I got 6 sample bags of Pinnacle at a dog show, and my 3 love it. Now I just have to find a place that stocks it. :)

Back