• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

E-collar alternatives?

Montster

monty really is not very happy with the plastic e-collar. he's bumping into walls & i just feel terrible for the poor guy.

i've seen those soft e-collar alternatives, but do they work? has anyone used something else that is better than the standard plastic cone?

thanks!

I am actually looking for one for Wesley, he has flea dermatitis and has chewed himself apart because of one bite :( I found this website that has a soft version, that may be more comfortable. I haven't really researched it that much, but it was the first link on google. I would check it out a bit before ordering (I am a bit anal when it comes to online purchases ;) )

http://www.bonafido.com/page6.html

This is the type of e-collar I got for Mia. She seemed to hardly notice it. Didn't stop her from eating, sleeping or playing. I highly recommend it! :)

After Riley's neuter, I used a human neck brace on him. We had one in the house already and it didn't obscure his view or stop him from being able to get in his crate. It did stop him from being able to turn his head enough to bite at his stitches though. Worked well for us. He HATED the plastic cone, so we had to come up with something else. Good luck! :flwr:

Depending on where their "issue" is -- you can use a onsie-- A baby knit t-shirt with a snap crotch.

I've never seen an alternative to an e-collar (even have one for a cockatiel, although I don't have a 'tiel any more!), but we did advise people to take them off when the dog/cat ate or drank. Watch them carefully then be sure you put it back on.

There is also a cream that we used a lot but I'm having a huge mental pause moment and can't think of the name of it. We would use it to keep animals from licking wounds, IV catheters, etc., and it worked very well. If it comes to me in the middle of the night I'll let you know he name of it! You might ask your vet if he's familiar with the product. (It starts with a "C" I think. I've looked in my veterinary formulary and can't find it there - may be a human product.)

Back