• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Signs of Being in Heat???

Zippy

We aren't sure if Mary Alice has been spayed or not.

Can someone please tell me what are the signs to watch for if she's going into heat??

We know they bleed or spot but what sort of behaviour do they exhibit?

She's between 2 and 3 years of age.

Thankyou. :flwr: :flwr:

Her vulva will become red and noticably swollen. She will become very frisky and more energetic and be more eager to go outside. wipe her vulva with a damp paper towel and check for spotting. Be very careful with her and do not let her off leash, even for a second!!

My mother in law's female will crab-walk when she pees to spread her scent around the yard as much as possible, that was always our sign that she was about to come into season. :yuk:

Has she been checked by a vet? Maybe they could determine if she was spayed...even still there is a possiblity of false heats. I had a jack russel mutt when I was younger that was spayed and every 6 months would have a false heat, bleeding and all. She would hump everything she could get her paws on as well. It was quite bizarre! She had several litters of puppies before we got her when she was a stray, so that may have had something to do with it. She actually had two pups with her when we found her crossing the highway :( pooer little thing...

I don't know how a bitch that has had her uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes removed can still have seasons. Women who have had hysterectomies don't have a cycle. Weird.

She's very frisky.....more so than usual. Staying up later, jumping all over the place.

She's also a been growling if we move her from her favourite spots.

This is unusual for her.

She has no apparent scar from a spaying, although the last owner said she had been spayed.

The rescue folks don't necessarily believe them as there was no vets name or paperwork for her.

Thanks very much. :flwr: :flwr:

My last unspeyed girl used to go completely bald before a season , she would come in just as the hair started to grow back.

Our rescue cav is not speyed ( got her over 6 months ago when she was having a phantom pregnancy so she's very over due a season ) & has started moulting like mad so i'm expecting her to come in soon .
Should be fun keeping her away from my entire boy :yikes

She can't be speyed because of her age & very bad heart.

Zippy said:
She's very frisky.....more so than usual. Staying up later, jumping all over the place.

She's also a been growling if we move her from her favourite spots.

This is unusual for her.

She has no apparent scar from a spaying, although the last owner said she had been spayed.

The rescue folks don't necessarily believe them as there was no vets name or paperwork for her.

Thanks very much. :flwr: :flwr:

Is there any way you can get her vet records. We've had two dogs at our vets that were spay without much of a scare--- I would have loved to see the look on the vets face when he can't find "parts".

Unfortunately, no.

The rescue people tried to get a vet name but were unsuccessful.

The woman was "rather vague" apparently. No paperwork either.

Maybe they think they'll have to pay for the spaying.

We were warned that she might go into heat and need spaying after it.

She's been to different vets (rescue and ours) and neither can find a scar.
:flwr:

She's swollen and frisky....scooting out on the ice even!!

Can't tell if it's anal glands or heat.....but you don't get frisky with anal gland problems! :)

My vet is at Westminster....should be back in a few days.

Nina gets very affectionate and bumps me a lot...it's very annoying. I don't think dogs can get seasons that are spayed, they can BEHAVE that way but can't bleed. I say this because I had a dog at 10 who DID spot after being spayed at 6 months. Turned out they left a cel or two in there and it layed dormant for 10 years, and finally emitted enough hormones to create spotting. They had to do a "d and c" on her!

Next time you have her at the vets, ask them how much it would cost to have an ultrasound, because I believe this could solve the mystery. Some of the vets here in Australia have their own ultrasound machine, so the cost is minimal.

As well as many of the above signs of being in heat, our girls also cock their legs like a male when peeing. Very cute!

Oh and re the female previously mentioned that bled during false heats even though she had been spayed... I think the blood would have had to be coming from some medical problem, because spayed bitches do not bleed.

thanks for posting zippy i have been wondering what signs to look out for when lady goes into heat. We had planned on getting her spayed before her first season but no vets in my area wil, they all want to wait till she has her first season.

Back