PDA

View Full Version : digital cameras???

amia
14th February 2007, 08:53 PM
hiya everyone

i was wondering where to get a decent digital camera and where you guys got yours from?

any advice very welcome!!!!!! :D

Cicero's Mummy
14th February 2007, 10:29 PM
we have a Cannon... my hubby got it for me... very nice camera... in general all Cannons tend to be pretty nice...

Best Buy ran an ad in the paper last sunday for a Cannon that was 6.1 megapixel with a 12x optical zoom... and it was only $149 (on sale).

Mine is one of the more pricey models, but photography is a hobby of mine, so that is why... if you see one you have your eye on, lust after it for about 5 or 6 months and chances are, it will come down in price a bit...

amia
14th February 2007, 10:42 PM
hey Cicero's Mummy,

that sounds like a really good buy!

photography has also become a hobby of mine too :D
i was thinking of getting one from us because they have great prices over there.

if you have any links to any sites that would be great! :flwr: :flwr:

cka
15th February 2007, 03:29 AM
I've had a Canon digital for the last six years and it is awesome--still takes fabulous pictures and is easy to use. I will tell you that amazon.com has some great prices on the digital cameras......granted, amazon in Europe and amazon in the States are different but I bet the prices are similar.........totally recommend Canon....no doubt about it!

;-)

Kodee
15th February 2007, 03:49 AM
we have a Cannon... my hubby got it for me... very nice camera... in general all Cannons tend to be pretty nice...

Best Buy ran an ad in the paper last sunday for a Cannon that was 6.1 megapixel with a 12x optical zoom... and it was only $149 (on sale).

Mine is one of the more pricey models, but photography is a hobby of mine, so that is why... if you see one you have your eye on, lust after it for about 5 or 6 months and chances are, it will come down in price a bit...
OH YOU AMERICANS KNOW HOW TO MAKE A CANADIAN CRY... 4 meg 299 here....ouch. The weekend we got the puppy my husband whipped out a SLR camera - I could have killed him. He tried to rationalize my daughter needed it for college graphic design - um photography class was last semester, nice try dear...

But to answer your question, absolutely Canon is the best, I have one photographer, one graphic artist in the family that swear by them. Dont worry so much about digital zoom, its the optical zoom that you want high for good print pictures. If you focus is mostly to display on line, then good digital zoom is fine. The nice thing about a canon, is the lenses can be added to the digital cameras and will fit their film cameras too. 6 megapixels is plenty for 8x10 photos but one daughter has only a 4 meg 3x optical zoom A30 model which is even cheaper. It got great reviews and her 4x6 prints are great - but if you want larger prints I'd go up to the 6 meg one - also get a good sized memory card.

laurenlyn1
15th February 2007, 05:36 AM
I also like canon. I have an older point and shoot, and also a DSLR (rebel XTI) I really can tell a difference with the pictures I've taken with one camera over the next. I can sit and take 50 pictures of Brady in on sitting (main reason why i got the nicer camera was because of him. I needed a faster response time from when I told the camera to take the picture, and from when the picture was actually taken)

overall, I am happy with Canon, but on the other hand, that's all I've ever had so I don't have much to compare to. Good luck in your search.

Caraline
15th February 2007, 01:42 PM
I've got the Canon EOS350D SLR (single lens reflex) at 8 megapixels. We got it direct from Canon. I love it!

casshon
15th February 2007, 02:10 PM
I have a Canon EOS digital SLR and love it. I also have another 2 smaller digital cameras - they are Casio (one of them literally fits in my pocket!).

It really depends what you're looking to do with the camera and how much you have to spend but you won't go wrong with a Canon.

As said previously the optical zoom is more important than digital. Your pictures will get very blurry if the camera is digitally zooming.

If you want the camera to take pictures of animals you'll want a camera with a good response time. I can't use my Casio to take pictures of the dogs because by the time I have pressed the button and the camera has taken the picture they are bound to be half way across the room! (Its fine when they're asleep though :lol: )

Do your research, ask for the sales assistants help in different stores and then once you have found a camera that you like there should be plenty of bargains either online or in the stores.

Cicero's Mummy
15th February 2007, 07:51 PM
I couldn't find the Best Buy link, I even went in to look at the camera and try to take a photo on my cell so you could see the info, but the one here by my house was sold out...

BUT... I did find a great one at Target... 6megapix 4x optical zoom. Really great price... :) Hope this helps...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-4/qid=1171565090/ref=sr_1_4/601-0085016-7049775?ie=UTF8&asin=B000EMU4HS

and here is a samsung that looks good for just slinging around...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-8/qid=1171565090/ref=sr_1_8/601-0085016-7049775?ie=UTF8&asin=B000DZDNOM

I have 2 digi cams... one is for my "taking photos" and the other I throw in my purse for my "on the go" or "the moment strikes" photos. I put the one in my purse in a sock (clean and cute) so that it doesn't get damaged.

This is the link to my at home camera, I took a friend's engagement photos with it and they turned out really nice, although I am lusting over a new one already that is 10.1 mega pixels icon_blshing ...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-4/qid=1171565417/ref=sr_1_4/601-0085016-7049775?ie=UTF8&asin=B0007QKMQY

Kdemars
15th February 2007, 09:56 PM
I had a Canon SD450 - I loved it and lost it at a Super Bowl party (umm ... drink much there Kristen?!?) - just today I ordered an SD600 from Amazon $227 by the time it was all said and done. I CAN'T WAIT to get it. Also, I got a 2GB memory card from chief value for $22 - I hope it works b/c that is super cheap!!!

Do not order from access2digital - they are terrible - lots of reasons if anyone wants them but I suggest just take my word for it.

Spencer'sMom
15th February 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm a Canon girl. Right now I have the Rebel XTi and the PowerShot SD700 IS. I love, love, love the XTi. I've gotten some great photos of Spencer and the cats but have found I've spent more money on lenses than I did on the camera! :yikes If you're looking for a point and shoot I'd definitely recommend getting one with image stabilization- you can really tell a difference, especially with shots in low light.

A great site to help you research and narrow things down is www.dpreview.com.

tuna
16th February 2007, 01:56 AM
I also have a couple of canon cameras. They're popular for good reason!

Spencer's Mom: lenses are way more expensive than the camera itself, after all, crap glass on a good camera is just a waste!

amia
16th February 2007, 02:00 AM
thanks for all your replies!! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Cicero's Mummy that canon camera is brilliant and what a great price 2.i dont think they ship 2 the uk so i cant buy it. :sl*p:

im defo going 2 get a canon though as you all say they are very good :D ill just keep looking and when i see a good deal for a canon ill get one.i just hope i can hang on that long :lol:

tuna
16th February 2007, 02:01 AM
I also have a couple of canon cameras. They're popular for good reason!

Spencer's Mom: lenses are way more expensive than the camera itself, after all, crap glass on a good camera is just a waste!

Crittercall
16th February 2007, 05:43 AM
I started out with a real cheap-o camera that I bought on eBay - one each for my daughter and myself. The digitals were just getting a start then (Zoe was a baby so it was almost 9 years ago) so we weren't sure that we'd really use them.

We upgraded to a Kodak that had a few more features, including zoom. Mine broke, I think hers did too.

She followed that with a Canon and I went with a Sony. I lusted after a Pentax for a long time then ended up with a Canon, since we have two Canon film cameras and we could swap lenses. My Sony is still a nice camera and I still use it sometimes. I think that the pix in my avatar were taken with it. I can fit either in my purse - just depends on how heavy I can handle it being! (Very flexible purse - I once put a large sized styrofoam container of chicken wings in it and got it zipped too!)

Obviously the Canon is the camera of choice among Cavalier people!!

Crittercall
16th February 2007, 05:44 AM
I started out with a real cheap-o camera that I bought on eBay - one each for my daughter and myself. The digitals were just getting a start then (Zoe was a baby so it was almost 9 years ago) so we weren't sure that we'd really use them.

We upgraded to a Kodak that had a few more features, including zoom. Mine broke, I think hers did too.

She followed that with a Canon and I went with a Sony. I lusted after a Pentax for a long time then ended up with a Canon, since we have two Canon film cameras and we could swap lenses. My Sony is still a nice camera and I still use it sometimes. I think that the pix in my avatar were taken with it. I can fit either in my purse - just depends on how heavy I can handle it being! (Very flexible purse - I once put a large sized styrofoam container of chicken wings in it and got it zipped too!)

Crittercall
16th February 2007, 05:44 AM

Nicki
16th February 2007, 06:34 PM
Be careful if you are buying a camera from abroad - the warranty will only be for the country you are purchasing from, so this could cause you problems if anything goes wrong...however with the dollar so low against the pound, you may have to weigh this up in your decision, if it's much cheaper.

Also if you import goods in to the UK, you can be hit with import duties and customs charges, worth checking out with the Inland Revenue first...

Have a read through this thread too

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4788&highlight=canon

KimNIndy
16th February 2007, 08:15 PM
hi kim---my hubby has a great digital camera but i'm not sure where it is so i will update hopefully later this evening...

however, in addition to posting here, you can also google 'digital camera reviews' or google reviews for the types of cameras you are thinking about and it will pull up some helpful websites. you might even be able to find comparisons of 2 or three similar cameras. just be creative with your googling. i use this with lots of products and find it works really well.

that's how hubby found his. good luck! :D

k

Jen
17th February 2007, 03:40 PM
I have a Cannon SD600 Digital Elph---Best Buy has them on sale this week for $225.

I just got it a few days ago and love it!!

Kodee
17th February 2007, 04:54 PM

Mine is one of the more pricey models, but photography is a hobby of mine, so that is why... if you see one you have your eye on, lust after it for about 5 or 6 months and chances are, it will come down in price a bit...Oh my gosh! I just saw an ad for this exact camera today - i posted earlier that I thought they were 299 in canada and how its unfair...um the ad said $469 save $50!!!! That is soooooooo wrong :(