• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavies move up in AKC ratings...

Linda'nQuincy

I thought you all might find it interesting to note that the San Diego Union-Tribune reported this am that our wonderful breed has moved up from No. 31 to No. 27 on the Kennel Club chart. The article went on to say that the cavs have increased in popularity enormously in recent years. "In 2000, they were No. 54 and barely heard of by the general public. Kim Thornton, pet book author, says she understands their rise on the KC list, " They're small and people want small these days because small is portable. But they're not fragile. They're a spaniel and love to play fetch." Of course we all know that our furbabies to love to play ball. Wonder if this increase in popularity will spur on the puppy mills to produce more pups? I sure hope not............

Yes, the Cavalier is definately gaining in popularity. And, yes, I am worried that as they gain in popularity, the mills and the BYB's will also increase.

I recall quite a few years ago that there was talk about doing a live remake of Lady and the Tramp using a real Cavalier for Lady. There were sure a lot of discussions after the shows among the Cavalier breeders about this. We all held our breath and hoped it wouldn't happen because we were so afraid of the rush there would be for Cavaliers and how that would encourage the mills and BYB's out to make a fast buck.

When I got Jake, 4 years ago, I pretty much knew every Cavalier in the area. Nobody knew what kind of dog he was and I never saw any. Now...they are all over the place.

Bruce all of your avatars are wonderful! The new one is so fun. you are great to catch those shots with your camera.

i'm glad to hear they're getting more popular because i do love to see them so much. but i know that means more will be showing up in pet shops and on the internet, coming from the puppy mills. that's sad and scary.

i still very rarely see one.

Fraggle said:
Is it just America where the breed is increasing in popularity? How about for the KC UK?

The stats are available on the kennel club , cavs registered was 13022 in 1997. Dropped down to a low of 9984 by 2002 & has now risen to 11411 registrations in 2006

Strangely charlies also started with a high in 97 then dipped to a low in 2002 & have now risen again.
There's a similar pattern in other breeds. Wonder what happened in 2002 :shock:

I agree with Bruce, increased popularity = more bybs and puppymill Cavaliers = bad news for the breed overall.

P.S. Not to offend anyone, but I have a HUGE pet peeve about the term "Cavie"...a cavie is actually a guinea pig!

I'm in the same boat with Goodrun and Bruce. But I had a lot of training from my breeder in the late 1980's. At that time most of the cav breeders were fighting tooth and nail to keep the cavaliers OUT of the AKC registers - because of the increased exposure and popularity resulting, as Bruce said, in more puppy mills and BYB's. They fail to keep the quality in the breed and you begin to get more genetic problems, less standards as far as size, etc.

I personally am really glad when no one knows what kind of dog my Cavaliers are. I want to see them kept special.

Top 10 dog breeds in UK:

1. Labrador Retriever

2. Cocker Spaniel (English)

3. English Springer Spaniel

4. German Shepherd Dog

5. Staffordshire Bull Terrier

6. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

7. Golden Retriever

8. West Highland White Terrier

9. Boxer

10. Border Terrier

Top 10 dog names in the UK: