• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Polycystic Kidney Disease

PawTrails

Hi Everyone,

Our new puppy came home this week from the Breeder. We were all very happy and she quickly captured our hearts. We brought her to the vet this week and found out that at least one of her Kidney's are enlarged. We then brought her to the Breeders vet who did an ultasound and discovered that she has Polycystic Kidney Disease. On at least one of her kidney's, she has several cysts.

We are not sure what will happen next as we await the blood test results and some research on the part of the Vet.

If anyone has had experience with a CKCS or other breed with a Renal function disorder, I would appreciate hearing from them, especially in terms of what is realistic and humane options/treatments.

She seems quite normal, very playful, sleeps alot and has what I would consider a normal urinary and bowel movement cycle. Her appetite is just so so but that could be a transitionary issue as she is only 10 weeks.

Wish I had better news. :(

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. :( I don't know much about kidney disease, but any illness such as this is very worrying.

The members here are very caring and supportive, so know that we are here. I hope you will keep us updated on her condition and what's happening. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I'm glad her breeder is staying involved, which can be very helpful at a time like this.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, I do not have any direct experience of kidney problems in dogs. I thought there was a Yahoo group for this, but have just been looking and I can't find it.

It might be worth posting on this list though, http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Kitchen/

If you look in the files section of that group, there is some information about kidney disease. It does mention polycystic kidneys.

I'm so glad that the breeder is being supportive :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: that's lovely to hear.

I really hope your puppy can be helped, please keep us posted with any news. Sending positive thoughts and prayers. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks for this. A quick read of a few files suggests that catching this early and having a low phosphorus / low protein diet may help to extend the dogs life. Apparently there is a prescriptive diet from Hills called K/D for this purpose.

Apparently, this is an uncommon disease for CKCS.

:|

I am so sorry to hear that your new puppy has PKD. It sounds like your vet is being very supportive and performing all routine renal tests.

There has been research done which has shown that nutrition can play a key role in improving quality of life and life expectancy and slow the progression of renal disease in dogs. I'm sure your vet will talk to you about a special diet similar to the low protein/phosphorous diet you mentioned.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for you and your little one :flwr: :flwr:

i just wanted to say how sorry i am that you have had such devastating news.

it's worth spending a lot of time googling the condition (i'm sure you are) and also doing research to see if there are other vets in your area with experience of this condition or a veteranary school for example that could provide you with additional support.

please do keep us updated and we'll all be thinking of you. give your pup lots of love for us all :flwr:

k

So sorry you are having to deal with this. It's so hard to be faced with a disease like this in a new puppy. I know nothing about it...but wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. There are so many people who read this board...hopefully you will get more input and suggestions.

Back