• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another Yam Chew Recipe

Cathy Moon

Last night I was on the internet researching for dog chew recipes, as these bully sticks are getting really expensive. (We're very picky about their bullies and won't buy the kind with coatings on them.)

Anyways, I found a recipe that doesn't require a dehydrator; you just use your oven. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to as soon as I have been to the market. Just to be on the safe side, if you make a large batch of them it might be a good idea to store the chews in the refrigerator.

Here goes:
Wash a yam (the really orange variety) and cut down the middle lengthwise.

Then cut long, lengthwise slices about 1/3 inch wide and place them on a single layer on a cookie sheet. [I would use parchment paper or non stick foil if your cookie sheet isn't non stick]

Put in the oven at 250 degrees for about 3 hours. This leaves them kind of chewy, but you could also bake them a little longer to get them crunchy.

ooh thanks for that Cathy. I have tried drying yams {sweet potatoes} before, in thin slices - it was hard to get the thicker slices properly dried. I think I wasn't leaving them in for long enough....

I'm very wary of bully sticks - pizzles - now, as Rupert cracked a molar on one...

all mine love vegetables, so I will have a go at this soon...

For those in the UK, 250F is 120C...gas mark about 1/2 - very slow.

Thanks for this Cathy, I'm going to try it soon!

ps...your new pic is gorgeous!!

The yam treats are really working out well! As soon as they cooled off, I tossed them in a ziploc bag and I store them in the freezer. Every afternoon they each get a 'yam stick' (and sometimes I munch one too ;) ) This is saving us $$$ :D

Back