• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Star the Wonder Dog In Her New Home!

Barb B

My daughter and I picked up Star yesterday morning, and she was perfect on the drive home. One little whine after a couple of minutes, then she just lay right down and went to sleep. It was only a 30 minute trip, so we had it quite easy compared to some of the recent trips to pick up puppies on this board. (Note to Ruby and Sydney - so very sorry, but Bruce kept an eagle eye on us throughout the pickup, and there was no hope of smuggling extra puppies out of there, I'm afraid...)

The first couple of times we brought Star out to go to the bathroom, she looked at us like we were nuts - I think the high temp yesterday was 18F. But, she seemed to realize that this nutty new family expected her to do her business on the frozen tundra, and she has gone exclusively outside. No joke! Of course, it's only been two days, but what a nice way to start out, at least!

Star is quite a cuddle-bug. She certainly fits the Cav temperament of wanting to be with her people. In fact, I think some velcro will be helpful in the coming days, I could just latch her on to my shirt and get some work done. But that's why we picked a Cavvie, so no complaints here.

Here's a few pictures:

"Well, this place is okay so far, at least there are toys"

394806335_b7536f395f.jpg

"Excuse me, I don't think you understand. If there's a lap available, I'm supposed to be in it."
394806342_cd9f98b929.jpg

My sister-in-law and husband drove from 1-1/2 hours away to meet Star, and introduce her to her "cousin" Chaucer. He's three years old.
394806345_925952e60a.jpg

"Man, you can tell we're cousins. We look just alike!"
394806349_b1c30e249c.jpg

"Okay, I think I'll stay. They've figured out the lap thing pretty quickly. I think I can have them fully trained in no time."
394806354_f675e30e08.jpg

I haven't done a very good job of commenting on other people's photos, but I really love seeing them! Hope everyone continues to show us their pictures.

Barb

So glad she was OK on the ride home. I always worry about that because she has only been in a car a couple times and is was a short drive both times.

Sounds like she is fitting in. It was really nice that you were able to come visit her as much as you did, I am quite sure that made her transition much easier. How long did it take her to get comforable in her new home? Good news, too, that she is using the outdoors; because of the extreme cold weather we have had the last 3 weeks, we were not able to get her out as much as we would have liked.

How did she and Cousin Chaucer get along? She was used to being around our adults a lot and was in the process of figuring out which ones had the patience for puppy playfulness and which ones didn't.

Is she eating OK? Wouldn't be unusual for her to go off her food for a bit while she adjusts to her new home. While she was here she was what I would consider an average eater.

Sorry for all the questions, just can't seem to help myself. I'm sure she will do fine with you watching over her. Thanks for the pictures. Have fun with your little girl.

She looks like an adorable little love sponge, and what a clever girl doing all her wees outside. :flwr:

Congratulations !!! She is a doll baby !! Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy !

and Bruce .........you sound like a worry wart grandpa :lol: :lol: :lol:

congratulations!! Star is beautiful! :) So glad you had a wonderful trip.. sounds like she's well on her way into your hearts! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! Star is keeping up her good record, with all pees and poops outside (are you sure you didn't train her, Bruce?!). Oh course, we keep a very close eye on her, so that helps. She has also done great in her crate both nights, a few tiny whines for less than a minute, then she is off to sleep.

Bruce, she settled in right away - she is either bouncing around with her toys or in a lap. If you'll notice the last two pictures above, she is sitting on the hairy legs of my 15-year old son, who didn't even want to visit Star before she came to live with us. She works fast at charming everyone!

The cats have done pretty well, better than we expected. They certainly keep their distance, but are fascinated with her and are always lurking about, watching what's going on. On the first day, Dusty got pretty close, then Star nonchalantly walked up to him. Dusty hissed at her, which startled Star, since she's used to her cat, Buck, who I'm sure never hissed at her. Star let out a loud yelp that you probably could have heard out your way, Bruce. That scared the heck out both cats, who flew up the stairs with bushy tails. They are coming closer and closer to Star all the time, but there have been no more hisses!! So she's got them trained, too.

She got along fine with her cousin, Chaucer. She walked right up to him; he's a little shy, not having been around many other dogs. But they did fine together. We even went out to lunch, and had their two crates facing each other. So Chaucer had his first babysitting job! When we came back, they were both perfectly content.

As for food, she is eating, but often isn't interested in food yet. Drinking lots of water after play sessions.

We just feel so lucky. She is in love with all of us! And anyone who's visited! And she has been making a great transition. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything continues to do so well. Bruce and Kris, you obviously do a great job of socializing the puppies! Thanks.

Roxanne, Star's snuggle puppy arrived in time for her first night in the crate. Thank you!

Hooray....Star the Wonder Dog is home!! And she's getting right to work getting you all trained!! Good girl. Her pictures are adorable. What a doll.

What a BEAUTY Star is!!! And I love the photos you posted! Nice to see her with her cousin....i am sure one day you will treasure those photos of the two dogs together when Star is so young. Congratulations and enjoy every second!

:flwr:

Star is beautiful. It sounds like she is settling in great! Isn't funny how they know when someone is not sure about them. They try to make-up to those people first!

congratulations! what a sweet and beautiful little girl! I love the name Star, and it fits her so perfectly.

Chaucer is a beautiful young man too. That was such a funny story about your cat hissing and Star letting out a yelp. that would've been good on Funniest Home Videos! :lol:

I'm curious, how old is Star? She is doing fantastic with the indoor/outdoor pattern, thanks to your careful guidance--not easy in that weather! This morning we just had a little light rain, not even a drizzle, when i let belle and zack out this mornnig. belle peed but zack just stood around, finally i gave up.

what are you feeding her? she looks so healthy and a perfect size.

looking forward to more stories and photos. I love how Bruce is so paternally concerned and protective!

Hi Judy, Thanks for your kind words. Star is 11-1/2 weeks old; she'll be 12 weeks old on Friday. I think this doing her business outside stuff is just freaky good luck, but I'll take it! Maybe she figures that the faster she does something, the faster she will be brought back in! :lol: And who knows? Rain might be a deal killer for her...

She was being fed the Royal Canin puppy food, so I have just continued that. This is her third day with us, and she hasn't been eating very consistently, yet. But she still manages to deposit a fair number of packages in the yard...

:yikes

To Barb and Star,

:yikes We've been sitting by the window now for almost a month awaiting for the new arrival of 10 brand new brothers and sisters and now we find you post that they aren't coming . Okay, but instead of relying on humans, that means we will have to come up with a much sneakier Cavalier way of increasing the size of our household. Look out Bruce, Ruby and Sydney are on the case and on our way.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Back