• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coller or harness??

ann

What is best for my 13 week old puppy who can now go out for a walk. She wears a coller and is used to it. but is a harness better for them when going out for walks??? Also any tips for getting her to move :? she just sits down when I attach her lead and chews it and refuses to get up........I am trying food tip bits and she will move a couple of feet , and then promply sits again........I have a back problem and the bending is making it worse :( all advise very welcome :flwr:

we use a harness for walks it doens't pull on their necks and a collor for id only. Could you try shouting her name when you walk with her or take a fav toy and keep it in front of her so it encourages her to walk. Puppies arn't very good at walking lady still sits down on walks we just walk on and she follows us straight away. If she's sitting down a lot she could be tired how long do you walk her for? We walk lady a max 20 mins a day. then carry her the rest of the walk.

Mine wear collars and when we go on walks or in the car they wear their puppia harnesses ;)

I would suggest using harnesses. Their necks are very fragile right now and it's much more comfortable to be wearing a harness. Plus if she's pulling or you're pulling her you take the risk of having something happen to her trachea which can be life threatening and you'll have to deal with it forever. :(

As for getting her to move, go on walks with squeaky toys and food.. LOL :) I squeak a ball and make Faith follow it or I take a piece of food and make her follow that.. the trick is to be more interesting than whatever is around you so that she'll keep on a movin' ;)

Good luck! :flwr:

I just wanted to comment on this, even though the message was posted a while ago. My puppy went through exactly the same thing between 3 and 4 months old. He plonked himself down on the ground and refused to move an inch. Everyone advised me never to pull him and rather to give him treats and toys and to sit it out. But even with all sorts of favourite treats and with waiting for him to come for over half an hour, he was not budging. And it just got worse - I ended up spending several weeks sitting on the pavement each day with him gripping the ground.

In the end I realised that it was a game of wills for him, rather than him actually being afraid of anything. I had to show him that I was in charge and he simply was not going to get to stay there.

So, I got him a harness instead of a collar so that I wouldn't hurt his neck. Then I did a brisk, determined march up and down the street, without even looking at him. Everytime he stopped behind me, I pulled him quickly to my feet and kept marching at exactly the same pace. The problem stopped immediately and he started trotting around, sniffing and wagging his tail like a normal dog on a walk. It's never been a issue since, and of course I don't have to march like that anymore.

Of course, it's important to find out your dog's reason for refusing to move, and I'm not saying that this approach is right in all cases. But, for me being overly sensitive actually made things much worse. When I was more sure of myself and less careful, Sam also seemed more confident about walking with me.

Another point is to try walking with another dog-friend and its owner. If the puppy is afraid of being outside, having a companion might help to put her at ease.

laram said:
Another point is to try walking with another dog-friend and its owner. If the puppy is afraid of being outside, having a companion might help to put her at ease.

Yup, that is a good point... and have the adult/experienced dog walk in front. The puppy will be just itching to catch up. (y)

I was shown the same method as laram but my first dog was a similar age as hers - 4mths when we got her. I must admit, it worked great. But for a 13 wk old puppy I'd do the food, squeeky toys. As well try tying a toy to an old leash and drag it behind you till they follow (treat when they catch up) first for a while.

definitely harness for all the reasons above...but its a good idea 2 use the collar for ID

Back