• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Storing Pumpkin

Shay

This may sound stupid, but how do you store you canned pumpkin in the fridge. Is it o.k. to keep it in the can with a cover? How long can you keep it in the fridge, before it goes bad, if it goes bad? I don't want to male Lily sick :flwr:

I wouldnt keep it past 3 days - but why not freeze it in ice cube trays. That is what everyone here told me to do and its great! I just pop out one and leave in the fridge and use throughout the day (ok so one is small but my baby is still small!). Merricks replied to an email I sent them and said I could also freeze unused portions of canned dog food this way. I dont keep any food in a tin - I always transfer to plastic or glass.

GREAT idea about the ice cube trays. I too don't store food in the tins...I'm not sure if it's not safe in this day & age or if I hear my mother in law in the back of my mind warning me not to buy dented cans, ect.

I boil a big tray of chicken up for Molly & Max and then chop it fine, divide it up into small portions and store them in zip locks in the freezer. that works very well for us.

GREAT Question Shay...glad you asked.

The ice cube idea is good, but Lily will not eat ice cubes or anything frozen in her bowel. :roll: It only tastes good on my rugs. :lol: But I can still freeze them that way and pop them in the microwave to add to her food. Great idea. Thanks Debbie!

I know Lynn. I keep hearing my Mom's voice. "Never leave anything in the fridge in a can and never buy a dented can" I never buy a dented can, but I wasn't sure about the can in the fridge. Can you girls tell my nickname is not Martha Stewart :lol:

When the weather gets warmer, I will give her some frozen treats out on my porch. That's where we would go to have our frozen treats when the weather was still warm. She is mad for ice cubes.

Shay said:
The ice cube idea is good, but Lily will not eat ice cubes or anything frozen in her bowel. :roll: It only tastes good on my rugs. :lol: But I can still freeze them that way and pop them in the microwave to add to her food. Great idea. Thanks Debbie!

I know Lynn. I keep hearing my Mom's voice. "Never leave anything in the fridge in a can and never buy a dented can" I never buy a dented can, but I wasn't sure about the can in the fridge. Can you girls tell my nickname is not Martha Stewart :lol:

When the weather gets warmer, I will give her some frozen treats out on my porch. That's where we would go to have our frozen treats when the weather was still warm. She is mad for ice cubes.
Oh Kodee doesnt eat them frozen - I have a Princess here! Naturally they are warmed up (and her tsp of canned food too) in the microwave! Must be a mother thing because my fear of storing in a can stems from mine telling me too...

Shay...Molly & Max love ice cubes too...imagine their joy when they found their first icicle outside!!!! And even better...ice covered sticks! I need to find a way to make homemade icicles for them year-round.

I keep mine in a tupperware container and use a full can between the two of them in about 5-6 days. We've never had a problem.

I used to store it in the ice cube trays, but with 3 growing boys we have more food in the freezer than we know what to do with.

I have now started putting the pumkin in sandwich ziploc bags, just as Donna mentioned I also boil boneless chicken and chop it up and re-freeze in bags.

We do the same as Cathy. Transfer it to a tight lidded plastic container, and keep it in the fridge. We've been buying the larger cans (28 oz or 822 g) and go thru one a week (she gets a heaping tablespoon twice a day.) It's been fine.

Kodee said:
I wouldnt keep it past 3 days - but why not freeze it in ice cube trays. That is what everyone here told me to do and its great! I just pop out one and leave in the fridge and use throughout the day (ok so one is small but my baby is still small!). Merricks replied to an email I sent them and said I could also freeze unused portions of canned dog food this way. I dont keep any food in a tin - I always transfer to plastic or glass.

Totally recommend storing in freezer in an icecube tray covered with plastic wrap. This is how my friend stores her baby food. I wouldn't store it any longer than 4 weeks. :)

Back