PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Canned Dog Food

Kodee
19th February 2007, 11:21 PM
You pro's most likely already know this.. but for those slow like me, I emailed Merricks how long. I was told at one store I could keep it open in the fridge 72 hrs only, the other store 7 days! So I asked Merricks as Kodee eats only a tsp with each meal . They replied 3-4 days but I could freeze in bags the left over - ah ice cube trays will be made useful again!

Cathy Moon
19th February 2007, 11:36 PM
Debbie,
Great idea! Even with 3 cavaliers, I might not get through one 13 oz can in 3-4 days. I'm going to try the ice cube tray idea. :)

Remali
21st February 2007, 02:18 AM
Ice cube trays....what a great idea!!

Charleen
21st February 2007, 02:21 AM
I freeze canned dog food for Merry as treats, because she is allergic to most everything but the dog food the dermatology vet has her on. So 1 can fills two ice cube trays and I top of the cubes with water and freeze it. She loves it.

I do the same with pumpkin in ice cube trays with water.

These are her 2 treats, that don't make her scratch like a maniac.

Kodee
21st February 2007, 02:29 AM
I freeze canned dog food for Merry as treats, because she is allergic to most everything but the dog food the dermatology vet has her on. So 1 can fills two ice cube trays and I top of the cubes with water and freeze it. She loves it.

I do the same with pumpkin in ice cube trays with water.

These are her 2 treats, that don't make her scratch like a maniac. It must be something about the freezing. Kodee thinks frozen green beans are chocolate - what she will do for them!

Question: I noticed in the pumpkin thread you said you top it with water. Is there a special reason you do this or is it because your dogs like a bit of ice and find it an extra treat?

Charleen
21st February 2007, 02:36 AM
I top it off with water to make it more solid and harder for that extra crunch that a treat should have.

Kodee
21st February 2007, 03:13 AM
I top it off with water to make it more solid and harder for that extra crunch that a treat should have. Thanks! Well since Kodee loves these frozen green beans, I think I will try it adding water to the pumpkin!

Barbara Nixon
21st February 2007, 06:06 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't freeze, though, like friut, it may be more sloppy afterwards. This is something I never need to consideras my boys get through a 1.2kg tin in two days.