• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Freezing Canned Dog Food

Kodee

You pro's most likely already know this.. but for those slow like me, I emailed Merricks how long. I was told at one store I could keep it open in the fridge 72 hrs only, the other store 7 days! So I asked Merricks as Kodee eats only a tsp with each meal . They replied 3-4 days but I could freeze in bags the left over - ah ice cube trays will be made useful again!

Debbie,
Great idea! Even with 3 cavaliers, I might not get through one 13 oz can in 3-4 days. I'm going to try the ice cube tray idea. :)

I freeze canned dog food for Merry as treats, because she is allergic to most everything but the dog food the dermatology vet has her on. So 1 can fills two ice cube trays and I top of the cubes with water and freeze it. She loves it.

I do the same with pumpkin in ice cube trays with water.

These are her 2 treats, that don't make her scratch like a maniac.

Charleen said:
I freeze canned dog food for Merry as treats, because she is allergic to most everything but the dog food the dermatology vet has her on. So 1 can fills two ice cube trays and I top of the cubes with water and freeze it. She loves it.

I do the same with pumpkin in ice cube trays with water.

These are her 2 treats, that don't make her scratch like a maniac.
It must be something about the freezing. Kodee thinks frozen green beans are chocolate - what she will do for them!

Question: I noticed in the pumpkin thread you said you top it with water. Is there a special reason you do this or is it because your dogs like a bit of ice and find it an extra treat?

I top it off with water to make it more solid and harder for that extra crunch that a treat should have.

Charleen said:
I top it off with water to make it more solid and harder for that extra crunch that a treat should have.
Thanks! Well since Kodee loves these frozen green beans, I think I will try it adding water to the pumpkin!

I don't see why it wouldn't freeze, though, like friut, it may be more sloppy afterwards. This is something I never need to consideras my boys get through a 1.2kg tin in two days.

Back