• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

UPDATED>UPDATED GOOD NEWS!! CICERO UGH VENTING!

Would this make you upset as well or am I crazy?

• Yes, I would be upset.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, You are Crazy.

• Why do you care, at least you are still getting the dog.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicero's Mummy

Okay... so the In-laws finally got on the ball and called our breeder about Cicero coming home this weekend... and get this... she said it would be about 2 more weeks or so before he was ready!!! We found out she has a really hard time of letting go of her pups that she sells, this is the only reason she is holding onto them all for 2 more weeks.

My fil (the vet) spoke to her and told her about the situation and that since he was already 12 weeks, that it should be fine for him. But, we haven't heard back from her (she is to call if she changes her mind).

So... all in all... this really sucks... looks like we have another 2 weeks to wait. I was so upset that she just changed her mind on how old he had to be because of her separation issues. The father-in-law is still working on getting her to "let go."

Bruce, maybe you might be able to offer some advice that will give me some sympathy towards her?? Last night I spent 2 hours crying because she isn't delivering like she promised... it just is so annoying!!

Needless to say, we are all pretty peeved' on this end. Including my mil and fil... they had already arranged plans and such for flying and traveling (they are 3 hours from SLC). My father in law is the most upset because she is not listening to what we are saying. I mean we have already arranged for me to take off Friday and Monday and then hubby has taken off the entire week of the 26th!! This is something you can only do once in med school per year... and now it is wasted!!! She just isn't listening that 12 weeks is old enough to go home (again the attachment issues) and that we have made scheduling perfect to introduce Cicero into our home and environment... I mean we did everything on our part and she is doing nothing!!

IMHO... My breeder should be very happy at this point that we can't mention names here because we are very very upset (and are not going to use her when we get our second cavie -- in about a two years, yes we already have it planned in our long term plans -- we're geeks).

HELP!! I NEED SOME CONSOLING WORDS AS I WAIT THESE EXTRA 2 WEEKS!!

** I added a poll so you could all be anonymous with your opinion on this if you wish. **

I feel for you Raven. How horrible given all the planning that you have been through. You'd think as a professional breeder she'd be used to letting the puppies go. Especially when she knows they are going to a home as good as yours, which is so evident given all the planning you've gone through to make things perfect for her.

On the plus side, you ARE still getting the dog, but I would be upset too that you have to wait and that all the planning you and your family has done and your husband taking that week off.

:hug:

I know it should have been a little bit of a red flag when we went to visit her, because she still had a few pups from the last litter and they were all about 16 weeks old... :roll:

Stupid me... stupid me...

oh raven i feel for u!! I have my fingers crossed that ur father in law will change her mind!!

I think your breeder is being really selfish by keeping the puppies until all the puppiness is virtually gone. Twelve weeks is long enough to keep the pups. I totally sympathise with your situation and I would be livid if it were me. The novelty of a puppy is something a breeder gets more than any of us and she should not be depriving you of these precious two weeks.

That is annoying for you but you can be sure of one thing - Cicero is obviously very much loved by the breeder so in 2 weeks time you will be sure to get a happy bundle of joy.

You never know, she may change her mind when she hears all the trouble and planning you have gone through ;)

sorry to hear of this Raven. :( And when I just sent you an excited PM yesterday asking about when Cicero was coming home!!

There is two ways to look at this situation, as you already know. I mean, yes it makes you angry and it's a pain in the butt.. Logically speaking if there aren't any medical issues with the pup he should have been ready at 12 weeks, but you can also look at it from the other side. He'll be getting 2 extra weeks of socialization, that's 2 less weeks of potty accidents (and hopefully your breeder is diligently working on PT at this stage.)

If it were me, I still would want Cicero at 12 weeks. I got Faith at 10 weeks and I don't regret getting her at the age that I did for anything. We have had a few accidents, but that's to be expected. By the time she was 12 weeks she knew sit and she no longer nips when getting treats.

I dunno Raven, hopefully you can get her to change her mind :flwr:

Oh that is just terrible, I would be so upset! After all the planning you have put in, I hope she changes her mind, she is very selfish :x

Yes Raven, I think it's perfectly natural that you are upset. You, your husband, your MIL and FIL have all made specific scheduling arrangements that are difficult to change, and have made a financial investment in tickets (don't think there are any plane tickets anymore that you can change without incurring a large penalty?). These facts trump just about any reason to re-schedule the "pickup" date unless Cicero was ill.

I certainly hope that you'll be able to work this out. Like Sara, I've been wondering when Cicero would be going home; almost started a thread on it last night! Will be thinking of you and hoping for the very best.

Barb has about said it all.
You have made plans to help the pup acclimate to your home and lifestyle and she seems to have just ignored all that for possibly no good reason. I would want her to tell me why she thinks they have to be held for a longer time. (she may have a valid reason)
Thank goodness you don't have children who are also being disappointed. Sandy

Oh Raven,

How annoying (to be polite!) I personally think that she is being so selfish, if there is nothing preventing Cicero's healthwise, from letting him go then it is really unbelievble.

As has been said, you have made all of the preparations and scheduling for the pick up to work in the way that was planned, does she know that all of the arrangements were set and that your DH had scheduled an unchangable week out of med school to help little Cicero settle into his new home, does she not realise that this wont be possible if she puts the date back? Surely she would be happier knowing that he was being settled into his home in such a caring way that you have been planning rather than just thinking about having him around her for another 2 weeks?

:oops: sorry got onto a bit of a rant there!

I'm thinking of you, hoping that your fil manages to make her see sense ... let us know what happens :flwr:

Have you put any money down on him to hold him for you? If so, I would have written up an agreement on when and how I could pick him up.

So sorry that this delay has come about. Maybe it will work out after all. :flwr:

okay everyone... here is a cc of the email I just emailed to her...

was it okay to email this?? I hope so!!

Thank you to all those who pm'ed me with encouragement. And for all those who posted, I thank you as well.

Following email was sent to our breeder... I have x'ed out her name and John and Wendy are the in-laws.

Dear XXXX-

We talked to John and Wendy last night and were saddened (i cried for awhile) to find out that Cicero would not be coming home yet.

I am writing to ask you to please reconsider. I understand that you may be a little anxious about it, I am as well. I wish that I could fly out there personally!! The only reason I am asking that you reconsider is that, while flying now is a little shy of the age you recommend, it would be in our opinion beneficial to Cicero in the long run. We also, like you, want what is best for Cicero and would never want to put him in danger or harms way. I belong to a cavalier board and can tell you that I have put tons of thought into whether or not to email you about this topic. I do however have friends on the board that had their dogs flown to them at 8 and 10 weeks, and they said that their cavies were just wonderful. Upon arrival, they bounced out of their cage all ready to play.

Another reason why we think it would be beneficial to Cicero is our schedules. I have off both Friday and Monday to help him adjust (the last days I get off this year until August) and Trevor has off the week of the 26th (Monday) to March 2nd (Friday). We felt this weekend would be wonderful for him to come into a new environment seeing that we would have ample time to work on having him adjust and having us home to watch him progress.

I know that you love each one of your Cavie babies and want what is best for them! I completely understand and respect this. I also have already a special place in my heart for Cicero. I plan to keep you updated and send lots of photos and let you know how he is. I would even keep you posted as to the progress of his flight and his arrival. Anything that would make you feel more at ease or sure of sending him to us.

I was very heartbroken that we have done so much work to make sure that he was coming home into a wonderful and warm environment, and then find out we have to wait 2 more weeks. I am saddened because I will not be able to take off a day to spend with him, like I had already made arrangements for this weekend.

I am humbly asking you to please reconsider sending him home this weekend so that we can have time to bond with him, take him over to his daycare to make sure it is the right choice (yes, we can't bear to leave him at home alone so we have a wonderful daycare for him with a puppy nursery and everything), introduce him to the vet here, and just help him get adjusted to his new home and life here in Columbus. We feel so bad because we are missing out on so much of his "puppyhood" so far.

Like I mentioned, I am willing to call you every half hour and keep you updated on his progress, all i need is your number (i will be tracking the plane all day, no matter what day he flies). I can send you photos of his safe arrival (we are taking plenty for his scrapbook).

Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to having Cicero home with us, whenever that may be.

Sincerely-
Raven

Why is she just now telling you that she is going to keep him 2 more weeks? Did she orginally say that you could have him at 12 weeks? Has she actually said why she is keeping him 2 more weeks? This is just crazy!

Yes, she said 12 weeks is what she feels comfortable for him to fly (any way of flying, with person or not). Now she is saying she meant 14 weeks.

I feel so bad that we are missing out!

He is our puppy... we have already done all the necessary paperwork and everything! That is another reason why I just don't understand!

She at first said he could come home at 8 weeks, so we planned on the end of January... and then got told, no 4 more weeks. We were like, okay we understand. Now it is 4 more weeks and we are getting told 2 more!?!?!?

I really disagree there is any positive in keeping a puppy past 12 wks. Sure you can argue they get the extra socialization with the litter etc. but they loose BIG time on bonding with the new family. 8-12 wks a little bit of 12-16 is the time puppy's socialize and that INCLUDES ACCEPTING THE NEW FAMILY in that scenario as the new pack.

To boot, your family has gone to extensive arrangements that cant and shouldnt be altered. Its important your husband is off work to be there while the puppy bonds in its new home environment.

I am sorry, I am sure my post is adding to your anger/frustration and I dont have any advice - other than to state a breeder like that should find a new hobby/job, she is not cut out for it. She is doing more harm than good for everyone including herself. But, in the end, what can you do. Its not like you can just up and go purchase at another store (this time - next time I wouldnt go back to her or recommend her).

Raven

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this, just does not seem fair.

Both Dudley & Darby came home around 8 to 9 weeks, and my breeder is wonderful and extremely reputable.
She is very into the health of cavaliers, sorry you stated in your email that you don't have her phone number.

That confuses me a little. ?????????????

Was all your communication with her by email.

hi raven---you poor thing!

yes i agree that the breeder is being totally selfish and very unreasonable. i think that the fact that you and your hubby have made so many arrangements to give cicero the best welcome possible means that the breeder is making things worse for cicero rather than better for him. (not that he will have any less welcome of course, but you know what i mean!!!)

the letter is perfect and you should definately send it and follow up with a phone call or two....you have every right to have cicero when you planned and it's not fair on all three of you that the money you have spent and the time taken off will be wasted.

good luck and please keep us posted!

:flwr: k

FIL was our main source of contact other than the emails her and I have sent. FIL is her vet, so he saw her for all the puppy check ups and they have her number.

We did go out there over Christmas and that is when we were told 8 weeks.

All of this is just frustrating... and like I mentioned in the first post... we are definately NOT going to be using her again.

We'll if I were you I would be getting her phone number from my FIL and phoning her.

It is obvious that she is having a hard time letting go, mind boggling and your FIL is her VET.

Call her I would, you have arranged to take time off she should be considerate to your feelings/schedule and not just her seperation anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back