PDA

View Full Version : As few as 7 raisins or grapes can be toxic



Nancy
21st February 2007, 05:22 PM
A warning to everyone, a vet synopsis of dealing with a dog who ate raisins.



(Below written by a vet)

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
Tuesday.He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog
in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the

doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids at 1 ?,?? times maintenance and watch the kidney values for
the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was
over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

Karlin
21st February 2007, 06:59 PM
This is already posted permanently in the health section on poisoning but thanks for the reminder, which we can all use. The letter from this vet is actually quite old -- has been going around for at least a year or two now.

Barbara Nixon
21st February 2007, 06:59 PM
Don't let this worry you unduly. Raisins and grapes are not good for dogs, so shouldn't be given, but most have no ill effects from the odd ones picked up or stolen.

Before knowing about this a few chocolate covered raisins were a regular treat for my springers and the two older cavaliers have had lots of grapes over the years (one at a time only).

There are lots of foods listed as poisonous to dogs, so they shouldn't be fed, as it's not worth the risk , but in most cases, it's only an excess of these things that causes trouble and some dogs can even eat lots with no ill effect.

Nisha
2nd March 2007, 09:29 AM
thanks for the warning.! i had no idea as little as 7 grapes could be bad

.just the other day i caught my mum giving the dogs grapes about (15 on the floor) ...i totally FLIPPED and started shouting at her and gave her this huge lecture :oops: ...but luckily i managed 2 pick them up before they had eaten more than one each....

i would never dream of giving any dogs grapes.... but what i dont understand is this....my uncle is a vet....and it was only around 4 years ago it was discovered that grapes are bad....prior 2 this their labrador ADORED grapes (she would drool at the site) and she was fed mega amounts of grapes every week.....how come nothing effected her over all those years? :?

CavyGirl
3rd March 2007, 04:51 PM
I have the understanding that it is only the grape skins that are toxic. My parents dog LOVES grapes...but she actually only eats the insides and manages to leave the entire skin!