• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Which Oil Is It?

Cicero's Mummy

I seem to remember someone saying you can give fish oil (right?) to promote good skin and coat health.

Is this accurate?

If so, which kind and how much do you recommend? Can I mix it with food?

I use DermCaps REGULAR (60 capsules) by DVM Pharmaceuticals for Small and Medium Breeds - 1 capsule for an adult dog and I put it in the dog food bowl with kibble and it is eaten right up.

I started using it when I had a dog with a skin condition, but it works on healthy dogs too to improve their coat.

I use it to: Promotes healthy skin and soft shiny hair coats in dogs and cats. Controls dry, itching skin. Can help reduce scratching. Proven anti-inflammatory activity and proven therapeutic ability. Can decrease the need for steroids to treat skin conditions.

I order it from http://www.healthypets.com/der60capbydv.html

I give mine actual tinned salmon once in a while, as well as fresh cooked salmon at my mum's, and their kibble is salmon and potato with real s&p! I also occassionally give cod liver oil capsules. I really notice a difference in their coats if they've had tinned salmon twice in one week. Very glossy!

Lisa - how much of the tinned salmon do you give? Do you give it in place of a meal or mix it in with their kibble?

I gave Lucky a bath yesterday (for the first time in a while because of the cold outside) and his coat seems to have lost it's shine ...

I just use fish oil, I mean that is what it is called. I give three capsules a day as directed by Harry's dermatologist. It is great for everything not just skin and coat. I also feed sardines or tuna here and there as a treat.

I've been giving Charlie 1000mg capsules (poured in his food) which I bought at the pharmacy (for human consulption) but the vet said that was fine. Both the vet and the pharmacy said that it should say how much EPA and DHA are guaranteed in the fish oil (the one I am using is 180 EPA and 120 DHA)

Dried herring strips are good for them also.

Mary Alice loves to roll on it first, then eat it! :yuk:

Back