• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

He's looking a little puffy....

nlg679

Teddy is officially on a diet starting today. I gave him his bath yesterday, as I do every two weeks, and his coat is quite poofy so after his wet-down I had to be honest. He is a little puffy.....
Went to the market and picked up frozen green beans, made more pumpkin ice cubes, and now have to hide the dog treats.
I think he needs to lose a good pound and a half maybe two to be on the safe side. Too sedentary during these winter months altho I am out and about with live wire Katydid....
Can't wait for the thaw so I can get him out and running the soccer fields.
Any diet tips? ;)

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Nancy - what I try to do with Shelby is give her half of what I usually give her. If I'm giving them a biscuit...I'll just give her half. I also like to substitute Charlee Bears....she doesn't care since she doesn't chew anything anyway.

I'm with Cathy. If meals are otherwise healthy (ie not fatty), rather than cutting anything out, I halve it, including the main meal. Treats should be included in the calorie intake, so if they get extra treats on any given day then you must cut back on main meal food for that day.

You might also like to up the exercise. It doesn't have to be anything extreme. Even an extra 5 minute run (throw the ball or frizbee) every day, over & above the normal will make a difference to fitness & metabolic rate.

she doesn't care since she doesn't chew anything anyway.

:lol: That's Lily too.

When Lily lost her 5lbs, she got about a third of a dog biscuit -- thirds or halves of everything. And lots of exercise! But do watch the treats -- one or two a day becomes three or four then even more -- and suddenly you are easily feeding the same again in treats that the dog gets in a meal.

YUP! That's exactly it, Karlin! A treat for Katy for peeing outside and I see Teddy's face and gotta give him one, too!
I will continue to feed him his two meals a day at the same amount...1/4 measured twice a day...feedings are not the problem. It's the TREATS!!!
So....only frozen green beans, pumpkin ice cubes, plain ice cubes and the occasional carrot for now on.
Hopefully warm spring weather will get him going again for our long walks on the soccer fields.
Katy is always on the go then crashes...total puppy.
Teddy will chase and play tag with her but she is definitely more active!

Thanks for the nutritional advice everyone!

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Back