• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Number 2 in the kitchen

Hi all,

I am wondering if you can all offer some advice on a training issue and how best to go about it. Roxy often wanders through into the kitchen to get toys or a dink but last night I found that she had been for a number 2 in the kitchen. We don’t normally have accidents as we let her out every few hours. What I want to train her to do is too either bark at the door or scratch at it. How am best going about this. She responds well to clicker training. I really aren’t sure how to start though. Any hep and advice would be great.

I am wondering if you can all offer some advice on a training issue and how best to go about it. Roxy often wanders through into the kitchen to get toys or a dink but last night I found that she had been for a number 2 in the kitchen. We don’t normally have accidents as we let her out every few hours. What I want to train her to do is too either bark at the door or scratch at it. How am best going about this. She responds well to clicker training. I really aren’t sure how to start though. Any hep and advice would be great.

Thanks

TLE

Many people tie a bell at the back door & train their dog to hit it when they want to go out. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds great and I intend to give it a go when I find a suitable bell.

Hi

I had the same problem with Harvey, so every time we put him outside we said quick quick to him and if he did something he got a treat and now we just say quick quick (or any command you want)and he goes on command. Harvey still does not ask to go out but we never have any accidents anymore, he waits for the quick quick command. He has stopped having the treats now, he gets them for other training that he is doing (he is 6 months old now). I hope this is helpful, i know it sounds a bit silly but it worked for us. Good Luck

Anna

A good piece of advice that I got when I first had Kosmo was to keep a schedule. I knew that he pooped 4 times per day when he was about 10 weeks - rain or shine he was gonna go. I fed him at the same time as well so I had more of an idea of when he was gonna need to go. If he didn't go then we would spend LOTS of time outside until he did. It was a pain in the butt but it really got us some results. Also how old is she?? You may be giving her too much freedom thus far. I let Faith (13 weeks) run throughout my house but I am watching her constantly 100% of the time. You would be surprised at how short of a time it takes to sneak off and do a poop. Cavaliers are SMART - they know how to get around stuff. ;)

I also need to teach Kosmo to bark at the door. I was told to take him to the door and since he knows speak make him speak before I open it up to let him out. Usually our communication now is "Kosmo, do you have to go potty outside?" If he has to go he gets up and makes a beeline for the door but if he doesn't he just ignores me. :roll:

Good luck! :flwr:

The bells will be stocked in our shop next week :)

Anyone who wants to order them outside of Ireland I can get a shipping cost.

Scout 'snuck off' twice after she was six months old and took a poop on the dining room floor. I knew it was her and not the cats because she wasn't eating it.... :yikes

I just had her outside on both occasion, but apparently not long enough. Puppies go alot more than an adult dog. Also, like the posts before me, I know when and how much both of my dogs go to the bathroom. For example when I get up for work in the moring at 4:30 am, I know that she is due for a poop. So we wander around the yard, usually she is pretty fast maybe five minutes. I can't tell you how many times I've stood outside with an umbrella, or in the howling cold wind waiting. She pretty much goes on command now. She knows the routine. She will be 11 months old on March 5.

Just keep being consistent. That's the most important part. Remeber they are very fast.

arasara said:
Usually our communication now is "Kosmo, do you have to go potty outside?" If he has to go he gets up and makes a beeline for the door but if he doesn't he just ignores me. :roll:

Good luck! :flwr:

I use this technique too. Only Holly runs and hides under something if she doesn't need to go, eyeing me suspiciously all the while.... great thing is that Amber is starting to catch on too! I like this method as it's nicer than regularly chucking them out every few hours regardless and it's more secure than leaving the back door open all the time when I'm in the house.

Back