PDA

View Full Version : Wallis Update

Crittercall
23rd February 2007, 05:15 AM
We took Wallis back for a recheck of blood and another U/A today. I think things are getting worse instead of better and I know just enough to make it all confusing (and it makes my head hurt!!)

The bloodwork showed that most of the levels that were high before (ALKP, BUN, Creatinine) are down somewhat but still high. Her hematocrit, RBC, and platelet count are all low. She had no blood in her urine (which is good) but there was a lot of protein (which is bad) and it is very dilute (again bad). So it still looks more like early renal failure than an infection.

We are having an Echo and EKG done next week to see how her heart seems to be doing. This will determine whether she will be able to be put under general anesthetic for the anal gland tumor, although that tumor has now dropped to the bottom of the list as far as her health is concerned.

The first issues are her kidneys and heart. The next issue is the tumor on her side, which is a fibrosarcoma. These tumors spread out into the adjacent skin and muscle (and not inward toward the internal organs). If the tests go well the vet is going to remove it giving her ace, morphine and local lidocaine. He will have to remove a fairly large area of skin, as the tumor is a pretty good size (maybe the size of a small walnut).

In the mean time we have to keep an eye on the tumor to make sure that it doesn't burst and start draining. Depending on the tests next week he may be putting her on anapril for her heart.

The good news is that she has lost 2 pounds. Only 8 more to go!

Thanks for listening. We are going to Chatt late next week and I will stay there until the following weekend (probably the 10th). Hopefully we will be able to have her surgery done when I get home. And the girls won't be staying in the kennel this time! A very special person is going to keep them in her home and she will keep a much better eye on Wallis than the kennel people would.

Tessa
23rd February 2007, 05:29 AM
That makes my head hurt too, but it's because I don't understand anything except, good, bad and EKG... :sl*p:

I do get the idea though (I think) and hope that all goes well for your poor baby. Sounds like she's goind through a lot.

:hug: for you and another for Wallis :flwr:

Remali
23rd February 2007, 05:36 AM
Oh gosh, I hope your little Wallis will be OK....is it kidney failure that she has then? I'm glad that the tumor is not internal. Let us know how she is doing, how old is she?

Crittercall
23rd February 2007, 05:42 AM
Sorry. I worked with all that stuff long enough to be familiar with it so that's the way it comes back out. My husband always has to ask me to explain it to him. (I think it's kind of a way for me to divorce myself from it by becoming more "technical" instead of personalizing it.)

Basically, she is in the early stages of kidney failure. She has a Grade 3 heart murmur and a slightly enlarged heart. She has a cancerous tumor on her side which is in the skin and not attached to her body (you can put your hand on the tumor and move the skin around). That tumor will grow outward - like tentacles - through her skin. Her anal gland tumor, which has a 90% chance of being cancerous, is now at the bottom of the list of her health problems. Because of the other problems she may not be able to be put under general anesthetic to remove it, OR we may discover that the cancer has already spread to other organs inside her body.

And to top it all off she's overweight.

Thanks for bringing me down to earth with my "update". I think my first one was a subconscious way to keep from dealing with it.

Renee - she's in the "Old Timer's Club" - she's 12.

Molly's mom
23rd February 2007, 05:47 AM
So sorry to hear that Wallis is not doing well. :(
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

molly
23rd February 2007, 06:13 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Wallis. Hugs to you both.

Joanne M
23rd February 2007, 06:34 AM
Donna, I'm so sorry. Poor Wallis, poor you. I'll pray for the best outcome. It doesn't seem fair that Wallis has all these issues at once.

matties mum
23rd February 2007, 08:39 AM
Donna will pray for the very best out come :xfngr: ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney----Sam)

casshon
23rd February 2007, 09:20 AM
:hug: from me and my girls. I hope everything goes ok for you and Wallis :flwr:

Vickie
23rd February 2007, 09:41 AM
:hug: 's from over here.

I'm thinking of you and Wallis, I know that you will do what is best for her and to make her as comfortable as can be.

I know that this is such a hard time for you, take care of yourself :flwr:

coconut
23rd February 2007, 11:17 AM
oh i hope that she is ok and comes out of it all in great health!!

Ur a brilliant mom so just stick in there!!

Wallis will be in our thoughts :flwr: :flwr:

Caraline
23rd February 2007, 11:26 AM
:hug: I am so sorry to hear that. I'll keep Wallis in my thoughts.

*Pauline*
23rd February 2007, 11:47 AM
Give Wallis a kiss from me and a hug for you :hug: I'll be thinking of you :flwr:

Arne
23rd February 2007, 12:00 PM
I am thinking about you and Wallis of course

Karlin
23rd February 2007, 12:59 PM
Hang in there, Wallis, you can tackle these things one at a time with help from your owners and kind vets. :flwr:

Cathy Moon
23rd February 2007, 01:29 PM
Hugs and fingers crossed for you and Wallis! :flwr: :flwr: :hug: :hug: :xfngr: :xfngr:

duncans_ma
23rd February 2007, 04:25 PM
Duncan and Arthur are thinking about you, Wallis...they send snuggles and kisses.

Cathy T
23rd February 2007, 04:28 PM
Poor little Wallis....so many things going on. Thank God she has to you care for her and do what is best. One thing at a time. We're thinking of you!

Lindsay
23rd February 2007, 04:38 PM
I hope Wallis gets to feeling better! :flwr:

KimNIndy
23rd February 2007, 08:36 PM
that is just so much to take on.....i'm sorry that poor wallis has so much to face.

you're both in our thoughts and prayers and i hope that you have a nice weekend in chattanooga---especially since the girls will be well looked after and enjoying themselves.

keep us informed and take care!

k :flwr:

enchantingdragon
23rd February 2007, 09:09 PM
Hope everything gets better real soon for Wallis! :flwr:

George19
24th February 2007, 08:20 PM
You're being a wonderful, caring mum. Hope all goes well.

Zippy
24th February 2007, 08:51 PM
Hugs :hug: :hug: :hug: to Wallis and her family!

Hope things get better for Wallis soon. :flwr: :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
24th February 2007, 09:20 PM
Sending you and Wallis hugs :hug: and positive thoughts and also some licky kisses from my boys.

:flwr: Take care Donna and look after yourself too :hug: :flwr:

Charleen
24th February 2007, 10:56 PM
Wallis sure got the short end of the stick. Really - no fair! How is Wallis feeling?

Crittercall
24th February 2007, 11:38 PM
Wallis doesn't feel well. She's lethargic, sleeps most of the time, can't always make it outside to pee. The only thing she enjoys right now seems to be mealtime. :(

Hopefully having the tumor on her side will help, and maybe starting on the heart medication.

I'm really bummed out about her now, and just can't seem to give in and cry over the entire situation (and I'm a crybaby from way back). Right now I feel like she's just sliding downhill quicly.

Linda
25th February 2007, 04:18 AM
Donna

I am so sorry to hear about Wallis, I am sure this is very emotional for you to watch her like that. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

You know sweetie your tears will come when the time is right, you are a amazing lady and I admire you. :hug:

How are Tibby and Sasha reacting to Wallis being ill, I will pray and keep you in my thoughts. :l*v:

Sorry I meant to post on this thread before and once again got side tracked. No excuses I know, please please giver her a cuddle for me. :hug:

JaneB
25th February 2007, 05:26 AM
Donna,
I'm thinking of you and your sweet Wallis tonight. Hang in there, I know it must be awful to have her so ill. She knows you love her and trusts you to do what is best for her. Hugs to both of you.
JaneB

Shay
25th February 2007, 05:30 AM
Wishing the best for little Wallis. She sounds like a strong girl, and a little fighter. I'll be thinking of you both :flwr:

Joanne M
25th February 2007, 05:45 AM
Donna I'm sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Hugs :hug: to you, Bubba and Wallis. God bless Wallis.

Caraline
25th February 2007, 09:57 AM
Oh boy, you and Wallis are doing it tough right now. Sometimes words & cyber-hugs don't seem to be enough. I'll light a candle for Wallis & ask the guardians of the wild things to watch over her.

Charleen
25th February 2007, 10:07 AM
Donna,
Thank you for sharing with us how you and Wallis are doing. You and Wallis are in my prayers.

Cathy Moon
25th February 2007, 03:25 PM
Donna, we're sending hugs to you and Wallis across the miles :hug: :hug: :hug:

Laura&Lia
25th February 2007, 09:05 PM
Hugs to you and Wallis :flwr: :hug:

Kodee
26th February 2007, 01:17 AM
I have been following this thread for a while and keep checking back. I havent commented because your situation is way beyond my understanding of pet health. But I do want you to know I am pulling for you both. Take care.