• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wallis Update

Crittercall

We took Wallis back for a recheck of blood and another U/A today. I think things are getting worse instead of better and I know just enough to make it all confusing (and it makes my head hurt!!)

The bloodwork showed that most of the levels that were high before (ALKP, BUN, Creatinine) are down somewhat but still high. Her hematocrit, RBC, and platelet count are all low. She had no blood in her urine (which is good) but there was a lot of protein (which is bad) and it is very dilute (again bad). So it still looks more like early renal failure than an infection.

We are having an Echo and EKG done next week to see how her heart seems to be doing. This will determine whether she will be able to be put under general anesthetic for the anal gland tumor, although that tumor has now dropped to the bottom of the list as far as her health is concerned.

The first issues are her kidneys and heart. The next issue is the tumor on her side, which is a fibrosarcoma. These tumors spread out into the adjacent skin and muscle (and not inward toward the internal organs). If the tests go well the vet is going to remove it giving her ace, morphine and local lidocaine. He will have to remove a fairly large area of skin, as the tumor is a pretty good size (maybe the size of a small walnut).

In the mean time we have to keep an eye on the tumor to make sure that it doesn't burst and start draining. Depending on the tests next week he may be putting her on anapril for her heart.

The good news is that she has lost 2 pounds. Only 8 more to go!

Thanks for listening. We are going to Chatt late next week and I will stay there until the following weekend (probably the 10th). Hopefully we will be able to have her surgery done when I get home. And the girls won't be staying in the kennel this time! A very special person is going to keep them in her home and she will keep a much better eye on Wallis than the kennel people would.

That makes my head hurt too, but it's because I don't understand anything except, good, bad and EKG... :sl*p:

I do get the idea though (I think) and hope that all goes well for your poor baby. Sounds like she's goind through a lot.

:hug: for you and another for Wallis :flwr:

Oh gosh, I hope your little Wallis will be OK....is it kidney failure that she has then? I'm glad that the tumor is not internal. Let us know how she is doing, how old is she?

Sorry. I worked with all that stuff long enough to be familiar with it so that's the way it comes back out. My husband always has to ask me to explain it to him. (I think it's kind of a way for me to divorce myself from it by becoming more "technical" instead of personalizing it.)

Basically, she is in the early stages of kidney failure. She has a Grade 3 heart murmur and a slightly enlarged heart. She has a cancerous tumor on her side which is in the skin and not attached to her body (you can put your hand on the tumor and move the skin around). That tumor will grow outward - like tentacles - through her skin. Her anal gland tumor, which has a 90% chance of being cancerous, is now at the bottom of the list of her health problems. Because of the other problems she may not be able to be put under general anesthetic to remove it, OR we may discover that the cancer has already spread to other organs inside her body.

And to top it all off she's overweight.

Thanks for bringing me down to earth with my "update". I think my first one was a subconscious way to keep from dealing with it.

Renee - she's in the "Old Timer's Club" - she's 12.

Donna, I'm so sorry. Poor Wallis, poor you. I'll pray for the best outcome. It doesn't seem fair that Wallis has all these issues at once.

:hug: 's from over here.

I'm thinking of you and Wallis, I know that you will do what is best for her and to make her as comfortable as can be.

I know that this is such a hard time for you, take care of yourself :flwr:

oh i hope that she is ok and comes out of it all in great health!!

Ur a brilliant mom so just stick in there!!

Wallis will be in our thoughts :flwr: :flwr:

Hang in there, Wallis, you can tackle these things one at a time with help from your owners and kind vets. :flwr:

Poor little Wallis....so many things going on. Thank God she has to you care for her and do what is best. One thing at a time. We're thinking of you!

that is just so much to take on.....i'm sorry that poor wallis has so much to face.

you're both in our thoughts and prayers and i hope that you have a nice weekend in chattanooga---especially since the girls will be well looked after and enjoying themselves.

keep us informed and take care!

k :flwr:

Back