PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Cavalier React to Thunder, other loud sounds

goldcountryrose
23rd February 2007, 10:49 AM
The Ellie and the Rotti reminded me of this. My Toby thinks he is a Rotti.
Any sound of any kind and he jumps off the couch or the bed and rushes toward the sound and barks his head off.

Today we were having a huge thunder storm and my twice as big as Toby adoptee ran and jumped in my lap and buried her head in my armpit. Toby on the other hand, jumped off my lap and ran back and forth through the house trying to find that thunder thing and bite it. He was growling and barking and growling and barking like crazy.

I tried to get him in my lap and comfort him, but he wasn't having any part of that. He was going to get the bad noise, period.

Are most Cavs good "watchdogs"? I'm telling you, a frog can't jump on my deck without Toby going nuts. Wind, rustling leaves, anything, and he goes off. I don't mind.....well, I do mind at 5AM when he is barking at the leaves rustling, but mostly I think it's pretty brave of him.

Oh, and in reality, he doesn't bite anything. He is not the least bit aggressive when he can see the "thing" that had him barking.

Oh, and he saw his first snow today. I let him out and he went straight for the steps, saw the snow and turned around and came straight back in the house. My other dog, Moonshine, also went straight for the steps, saw the snow, and ran to the other end of the deck, and sure enough there was snow there too, so she ran back in the house.

That was exactly the same thing that my dog, Cedar, did the first time he saw rain. I have a covered deck, but the covered part ends about 3/4 of the way on one end of the house.

I let Cedar out and he ran for the steps which aren't covered. Stopped. Looked at me like, What the Heck is This? Then he ran to the other end of the deck, ran out of cover, saw the rain and gave me that same look, I was totally laughing and said, Yep puppy, it's raining on that end too.
He just looked disgusted, and ran back into the house and peed on the floor.

moniechris
23rd February 2007, 02:25 PM
My Wesley is the same way. If we are watching tv, and a doorbell rings in the show, he goes BALISTIC and runs to the front door barking like a crazy dog! We don't even have a doorbell!!! :sl*p: I can't watch any type of animal show without him stalking the creatures from the couch. :lol:

We live on a golf course and people are constantly walking down our street or riding in golf carts. Welsey barks at every single one. The windows in our sunroom are right at his level so he can look out at the world going by...which means defending the house from the ducks by barking and slobbering up our clean windows. :yuk:
He can get pretty fence aggressive (he would never bite, just bark like a maniac), but if I were to put him over the fence, he would run up to the person (or critter) and lick them to death. :roll:

Cathy T
23rd February 2007, 03:35 PM
Loud noises in general don't phase mine. We have the Blue Angels flying over our house once a year...and boy oh boy are they loud!! My windows shake and I can't talk on the phone they are soooo loud. Jake and Shelby will sleep through it no problem. On the other hand....let the doorbell ring and they are off like maniacs :roll:

Joanne M
23rd February 2007, 03:56 PM
Thunder scares Tucker he cries and whines. He gets startled if something falls over, usually we knock something over while we're playing catch in the house and he barks at the object for a good two minutes till he's given it a piece of his mind for startling him.

arasara
23rd February 2007, 04:23 PM
My Wesley is the same way. If we are watching tv, and a doorbell rings in the show, he goes BALISTIC and runs to the front door barking like a crazy dog! We don't even have a doorbell!!! :sl*p: I can't watch any type of animal show without him stalking the creatures from the couch. :lol:

Kosmo freaks on the animals of TV and the doorbell too!! Last night we had solicitors come to our front door and I didn't answer the door. I don't answer the front door ever anymore, LOL. I stalk the walkway from upstairs and when they leave if I wanna talk to them I'll open the window and call them back icon_whistling Anyways Kosmo was barking like a mad man at the door and the rude people started banging on the window!! If I don't wanna answer, I don't have to! What if I was taking a shower or something? :yikes

Kos has gotten pretty "protective" lately although if someone walked in I am sure he would lick them up one side and down the other. He's just 'that way.' I think he is under the impression that he weighs 200lbs and nobody can stand in his way! ahh it's ok to dream, right? :flwr: Faith on the other hand.. Kosmo barks at the noise and she barks at him!! LOL She thinks it must mean playtime.. :roll:

Yvonne117
23rd February 2007, 04:54 PM
My big old Harvey is petrified of fireworks whilst little old Alfie is typical cavalier and frightened of nothing, including all noises and very large dogs!!

matties mum
23rd February 2007, 06:19 PM
The dogs I got now just bark the worst one with thunder was Mattie we always new when it was thundery before we could hear it he use to go has high as possible ---Aileen and fhe gang (Jazzie---Barney--Sam)

Justine
23rd February 2007, 07:02 PM
alfie is fantastic he is not scared of anything

KimNIndy
23rd February 2007, 07:16 PM
indy isn't the least bit bothered by fireworks...don't think he's ever heard thunder, but when things fall over it scares the life out of him. an ironing board fell once and he ran to me with his head down, pushed himself under my arms and stayed there for about 45 minutes. he would whine whenever i tried to get up so luckily i was able to indulge him.

he gets very perturbed at dogs and pets on tv as well----last week we had the tv plugged into the stereo and indy ran over and started sniffing the speakers trying to find the elephants on the show :lol: :roll:

the thing that really gets him is high pitched sounds---i think they switch him onto prey drive. i figured out that he comes when called if he wants to, but if i make high owl-like hoots he comes running everytime. obviously this isn't something i do in front of people :lol:

once we were watching a very scary movie---The Innocents if you know it, and he got very upset whenever the scary music accompanying one of the ghosts came on. it was funny but made it all the more disturbing. every time the ghost appeared indy growled....

k

Kelz
23rd February 2007, 07:18 PM
Harvey does not get scared but he does get very yappy and will run round in circles.

momay
23rd February 2007, 08:15 PM
Hi All!
Sofee doesn't really get scared at anything. She may stop in her tracks and stare at something if it fell off the table or happened behind her, but the vacuum, trains, planes, hairdryer, carper cleaner don't phase her at all. When the door bell rings she gets very excited and runs to the door. We live in a 6 unit condo, with one front foyer, so when the other units 'buzz' in a visitor, she waits at our door thinking they are coming to see her. As you know, it's all about HER!!! :D :D
We just got back from two days on vacation in Newport RI and she did fantastic (we gave her an A+++ for a 6 month old!).
Went in stores (dog stores and regular stores) and B & B's and motels without any problems. They are very dog friendly there. Here are a few pix of us and Sofee Marie, we had a blast! :drivecar:

At Sakonnet Vineyards
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/395232645_355225b4b6.jpg
At The B & B - queen of the hill
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/395232651_707ef0316c.jpg
On the Cliff Walk
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/395232653_45b065c031.jpg

Joanne M
23rd February 2007, 10:52 PM
awwwwww she's growing up, my gosh, she's adorable. Those are great pictures. Were people stopping you in Newport asking you about Sofee? How was the weekend? I've long wanted to do a mansion tour and stay in a B&B and I've never gotten around to it. Is it quiet this time of year? That looks like a really nice place you stayed in. Great to see pictures of you both along with Sofee and I love her little boots.

Crittercall
23rd February 2007, 11:14 PM
Wallis learned to be afraid of thunder from my first shihtzu, who was terrified of storms. When/if we have those storms here I just automatically put everybody in my bed and crawl in with them. Easier than trying to sit in a chair with three dogs!

Soffee looks picture perfect sitting on the pillows in the middle of that bed! Looks like a great place to visit.

goldcountryrose
24th February 2007, 01:17 AM
Momay, I love your pictures, and yep, sophie looks like she is meant to be on that bed.

I had forgotten all about Toby the TV dog killer. He stands on his back legs, which he does a LOT, seems to think he is a byped, and he growls and barks like crazy at the dogs and other animals on tv.

Sharon 7
24th February 2007, 02:09 AM
My Sophie is the same as well, they are fearless little darlings :D

huesiemama
24th February 2007, 03:35 AM
Ariel is completely oblivious to thunder. I am so glad as our other dog is thunder phobic. Not terribly so, he paces and looks stressed til he can hide in the bathroom.

Crittercall
24th February 2007, 04:14 AM
Sorry I messed up the spelling of Sophie's name so badly. Can I claim a mental pause moment for that?

Sharon 7
24th February 2007, 09:12 AM
My Sophie is the same as well, they are fearless little darlings :D

I have to laugh :lol: , having said the above, we had a doozy of a storm here tonight, and Sophie ran in from outside, as to say "what the?". Our lights went out :yikes , and she started to shake for the first time ever (to do with a storm).

She is asleep now, but she was so scared.

Montster
24th February 2007, 05:50 PM
monty is a bit of a "wannabe-tough guy"

some loud noises, he will bark non-stop at - i.e. doorbells, fireworks, etc.

however, once the noise has a face (like a vacuum cleaner), he turns into a big chicken & prefers to be in a different room than the source of the noise :roll:

Yvonne117
24th February 2007, 07:17 PM
Have just discovered Harvey is also frightened of the smoke alarm. Have just burnt hubbies dinner and caused the smoke alarm to activate. Harvey is now on my sons lap shivering whilst my son of 11 is finding it difficult to breath with 15.5 kgs on his lap!!

Zippy
24th February 2007, 10:11 PM
Our Charley used to hate thunderstorms...needed Rescue Remedy.

That was our fault, when he was a pup we rented a cottage at Thunder Bay Beach and guess what??

Loads of thunder ricochetting (?) off the bay!!!

The whole cottage shook and even my kids were frightened. :?

Never went back but we had scared the daylights out of Charley!! :shock:

Nisha
25th February 2007, 10:40 AM
monty and milo just bark their heads off when they hear thunder or fireworks or something like that...im happy about that because my last dogs was FREAKED to like the point of madness whenver fireworks or something like that went off.....

murphy's mum
25th February 2007, 11:20 AM
Murphy definately THINKS he's tough, he barks a the slightest noise, or if he spots someone going past the window. Things on TV tend to set him off too, lions, dogs horses. But we know he's all talk, if the hoover comes near him he's off like a shot :lol:
When we were out walking yesterday he started barking at these two labs, but when they ran towards him, not aggresively, his tail was between his legs and there was not another peep out of him :roll:

Charleen
25th February 2007, 12:22 PM
Poor Pippin is terrified of thunderstorms after...

In June 2005 (he was 2 mo. shy of 2 years old) we had a micro-burst storm come through the area. The storm came from the west and the dog room is on the west side of the house. The wind was so storm it pushed open the dog door flap and water was shooting into the room and the thunder and lightning was right over the house.

Merry and Pippin were in the dog room. I think Pippin was frantically scratching on the door to the house and somehow pushed it open.

I had just drove home and I was sitting in the driveway waiting for the worst of the rain to subside, but finally decided to make a run for the house. The rain was extremely heavy and a lot of wind. When I got into the house I saw that Pippin and Merry were in the house proper. Pippin was so frightened. I started cleaning up from the water that had gotten into the house. Both in the dog room and other areas where there was an open window.

When I got that done I looked out the front window and couldn't believe it. That storm had broken over 2 baby trees and picked up my dad's trailer (that he pulls behind his ATV) and moved it across the driveway and filpped it upside down in the middle of the lawn.

Next I noticed we must've had a direct lightning strike. The phones were out, the Dish TV was out and the internet. All dead. I had no idea the storm was that strong.

Merry carries no memory of this event. To this day, Pippin WILL NOT go outside if there is thunder and lightning. But who can blame him after that storm.

Cathy Moon
25th February 2007, 02:14 PM
Fireworks don't bother my crew after the first few pops. I tell them its ok and give them several treats. Storms don't bother them either.

Chocolate is afraid when the wood makes loud popping noises when we have a fire in the fireplace. She used to go hide out in a crate I have set up in the kitchen, but now she cuddles very close to me whenever we make a fire.

Geordie is our alarm system - he monitors the front windows for passersby and barks at them. :roll:

Darby's Mom
26th February 2007, 07:03 PM
Darby is completely oblivious as well! She was 12 weeks old when she experienced her first 4th of July fireworks. Fireworks are allowed in my neighborhood, and we always have a big block party where everybody "combines their resources," so-to-speak! It's great! Anyways, I brought Darby out to sit on the grass with me for a few minutes, figuring that was all she could handle - I didn't want to force her to be exposed to something scary for over an hour! Imagine my surprise when the first fireworks started to pop and bang - she wanted to go and chase them! It didn't phase her at all! She actually fell asleep about 15 minutes into them! And the kids were even shooting off M-80s & such!! These guys can be SUCH troopers!

nursejess80
28th February 2007, 03:16 AM
Although Ruby is still a baby and almost all noises are new to her, she's really funny about what scares her. She jumps if something falls, but the loud closing of our patio gate when we go outside doesn't phase her. (It sometimes makes me jump, though!) I'm a bit of a clean floor freak, and she loves to chase the dust buster when I'm cleaning. She freaks out more about things like water bottles. Put one of those on the floor with her, and she barks like crazy! We had a pretty nasty storm last weekend, and while it didn't thunder all that loudly, she paid no attention to it. She was more concerned with staying dry when she went out to potty!

momay
28th February 2007, 03:20 PM
Crittercall - no problem with the mis-spelling of Sofee's name! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! It is different, my husband thought of it, very cute I think!
;)

*Pauline*
28th February 2007, 04:03 PM
momay, I love those boots, where did you get them from? :flwr:

momay
1st March 2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Pauline,
I PM'd you with the details, they are called Little Lily boots. Aren't they cute! :p