• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How Does Your Cavalier React to Thunder, other loud sounds

goldcountryrose

The Ellie and the Rotti reminded me of this. My Toby thinks he is a Rotti.
Any sound of any kind and he jumps off the couch or the bed and rushes toward the sound and barks his head off.

Today we were having a huge thunder storm and my twice as big as Toby adoptee ran and jumped in my lap and buried her head in my armpit. Toby on the other hand, jumped off my lap and ran back and forth through the house trying to find that thunder thing and bite it. He was growling and barking and growling and barking like crazy.

I tried to get him in my lap and comfort him, but he wasn't having any part of that. He was going to get the bad noise, period.

Are most Cavs good "watchdogs"? I'm telling you, a frog can't jump on my deck without Toby going nuts. Wind, rustling leaves, anything, and he goes off. I don't mind.....well, I do mind at 5AM when he is barking at the leaves rustling, but mostly I think it's pretty brave of him.

Oh, and in reality, he doesn't bite anything. He is not the least bit aggressive when he can see the "thing" that had him barking.

Oh, and he saw his first snow today. I let him out and he went straight for the steps, saw the snow and turned around and came straight back in the house. My other dog, Moonshine, also went straight for the steps, saw the snow, and ran to the other end of the deck, and sure enough there was snow there too, so she ran back in the house.

That was exactly the same thing that my dog, Cedar, did the first time he saw rain. I have a covered deck, but the covered part ends about 3/4 of the way on one end of the house.

I let Cedar out and he ran for the steps which aren't covered. Stopped. Looked at me like, What the Heck is This? Then he ran to the other end of the deck, ran out of cover, saw the rain and gave me that same look, I was totally laughing and said, Yep puppy, it's raining on that end too.
He just looked disgusted, and ran back into the house and peed on the floor.

My Wesley is the same way. If we are watching tv, and a doorbell rings in the show, he goes BALISTIC and runs to the front door barking like a crazy dog! We don't even have a doorbell!!! :sl*p: I can't watch any type of animal show without him stalking the creatures from the couch. :lol:

We live on a golf course and people are constantly walking down our street or riding in golf carts. Welsey barks at every single one. The windows in our sunroom are right at his level so he can look out at the world going by...which means defending the house from the ducks by barking and slobbering up our clean windows. :yuk:
He can get pretty fence aggressive (he would never bite, just bark like a maniac), but if I were to put him over the fence, he would run up to the person (or critter) and lick them to death. :roll:

Loud noises in general don't phase mine. We have the Blue Angels flying over our house once a year...and boy oh boy are they loud!! My windows shake and I can't talk on the phone they are soooo loud. Jake and Shelby will sleep through it no problem. On the other hand....let the doorbell ring and they are off like maniacs :roll:

Thunder scares Tucker he cries and whines. He gets startled if something falls over, usually we knock something over while we're playing catch in the house and he barks at the object for a good two minutes till he's given it a piece of his mind for startling him.

moniechris said:
My Wesley is the same way. If we are watching tv, and a doorbell rings in the show, he goes BALISTIC and runs to the front door barking like a crazy dog! We don't even have a doorbell!!! :sl*p: I can't watch any type of animal show without him stalking the creatures from the couch. :lol:

Kosmo freaks on the animals of TV and the doorbell too!! Last night we had solicitors come to our front door and I didn't answer the door. I don't answer the front door ever anymore, LOL. I stalk the walkway from upstairs and when they leave if I wanna talk to them I'll open the window and call them back icon_whistling Anyways Kosmo was barking like a mad man at the door and the rude people started banging on the window!! If I don't wanna answer, I don't have to! What if I was taking a shower or something? :yikes

Kos has gotten pretty "protective" lately although if someone walked in I am sure he would lick them up one side and down the other. He's just 'that way.' I think he is under the impression that he weighs 200lbs and nobody can stand in his way! ahh it's ok to dream, right? :flwr: Faith on the other hand.. Kosmo barks at the noise and she barks at him!! LOL She thinks it must mean playtime.. :roll:

My big old Harvey is petrified of fireworks whilst little old Alfie is typical cavalier and frightened of nothing, including all noises and very large dogs!!

The dogs I got now just bark the worst one with thunder was Mattie we always new when it was thundery before we could hear it he use to go has high as possible ---Aileen and fhe gang (Jazzie---Barney--Sam)

indy isn't the least bit bothered by fireworks...don't think he's ever heard thunder, but when things fall over it scares the life out of him. an ironing board fell once and he ran to me with his head down, pushed himself under my arms and stayed there for about 45 minutes. he would whine whenever i tried to get up so luckily i was able to indulge him.

he gets very perturbed at dogs and pets on tv as well----last week we had the tv plugged into the stereo and indy ran over and started sniffing the speakers trying to find the elephants on the show :lol: :roll:

the thing that really gets him is high pitched sounds---i think they switch him onto prey drive. i figured out that he comes when called if he wants to, but if i make high owl-like hoots he comes running everytime. obviously this isn't something i do in front of people :lol:

once we were watching a very scary movie---The Innocents if you know it, and he got very upset whenever the scary music accompanying one of the ghosts came on. it was funny but made it all the more disturbing. every time the ghost appeared indy growled....

k

Hi All!
Sofee doesn't really get scared at anything. She may stop in her tracks and stare at something if it fell off the table or happened behind her, but the vacuum, trains, planes, hairdryer, carper cleaner don't phase her at all. When the door bell rings she gets very excited and runs to the door. We live in a 6 unit condo, with one front foyer, so when the other units 'buzz' in a visitor, she waits at our door thinking they are coming to see her. As you know, it's all about HER!!! :D :D
We just got back from two days on vacation in Newport RI and she did fantastic (we gave her an A+++ for a 6 month old!).
Went in stores (dog stores and regular stores) and B & B's and motels without any problems. They are very dog friendly there. Here are a few pix of us and Sofee Marie, we had a blast! :drivecar:

At Sakonnet Vineyards
395232645_355225b4b6.jpg

At The B & B - queen of the hill
395232651_707ef0316c.jpg

On the Cliff Walk
395232653_45b065c031.jpg

awwwwww she's growing up, my gosh, she's adorable. Those are great pictures. Were people stopping you in Newport asking you about Sofee? How was the weekend? I've long wanted to do a mansion tour and stay in a B&B and I've never gotten around to it. Is it quiet this time of year? That looks like a really nice place you stayed in. Great to see pictures of you both along with Sofee and I love her little boots.

Wallis learned to be afraid of thunder from my first shihtzu, who was terrified of storms. When/if we have those storms here I just automatically put everybody in my bed and crawl in with them. Easier than trying to sit in a chair with three dogs!

Soffee looks picture perfect sitting on the pillows in the middle of that bed! Looks like a great place to visit.

Momay, I love your pictures, and yep, sophie looks like she is meant to be on that bed.

I had forgotten all about Toby the TV dog killer. He stands on his back legs, which he does a LOT, seems to think he is a byped, and he growls and barks like crazy at the dogs and other animals on tv.

Ariel is completely oblivious to thunder. I am so glad as our other dog is thunder phobic. Not terribly so, he paces and looks stressed til he can hide in the bathroom.

Sharon 7 said:
My Sophie is the same as well, they are fearless little darlings :D

I have to laugh :lol: , having said the above, we had a doozy of a storm here tonight, and Sophie ran in from outside, as to say "what the?". Our lights went out :yikes , and she started to shake for the first time ever (to do with a storm).

She is asleep now, but she was so scared.

monty is a bit of a "wannabe-tough guy"

some loud noises, he will bark non-stop at - i.e. doorbells, fireworks, etc.

however, once the noise has a face (like a vacuum cleaner), he turns into a big chicken & prefers to be in a different room than the source of the noise :roll:

Have just discovered Harvey is also frightened of the smoke alarm. Have just burnt hubbies dinner and caused the smoke alarm to activate. Harvey is now on my sons lap shivering whilst my son of 11 is finding it difficult to breath with 15.5 kgs on his lap!!

Back