PDA

View Full Version : Getting our 2nd Cavalier tonight!

My Wesley
26th February 2007, 06:37 PM
Well..... after much discussion of a third child or a 2nd Cavalier, we've decided that right now getting a Cavalier will be best for us. My husband seems adament on no third child, so Wesley will get a buddy. I don't want to get into the whole long drawn out version. But anyway, there is a family out here with a 2 yr old female tricolor that is spayed and looking to place her. We're going to meet her tonight, and if all is well, she's coming home with us! Her name is Daisy and she's such a cutie. We're going to have an agreement though that if for some reason she doesn't work out in the first week, then they want her back. ie... the dogs not getting along, etc. But that's more than ok with me because I'm sure she'll be fine. I put some pictures of Daisy up. She has a longer snout than normal I think, but what a cutie! She's also used to being around a young baby, so that's perfect with the kids. How exciting!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy1.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy2.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy3.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy5.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy6.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy7.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy8.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/MyWesley/daisy9.jpg

moniechris
26th February 2007, 06:47 PM
Oh she is just lovely!!! Congratulations!!!!!

She does have a longer snout, she looks like my Wesley!!! ;) She is beautiful, how wonderful that worked out. The timing is perfect :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Harley & Carley
26th February 2007, 06:47 PM
She is beautiful! Good luck tonight.

Yvonne117
26th February 2007, 06:49 PM
She looks lovely, please dont expect too much in a week. When I got Alfie Harvey sulked for about a week and a half, then ignored him for a further week and I thought they would never like each other. 2 months down the line they are inseperable. Good luck for tonight.

Mary
26th February 2007, 06:50 PM
Congrats! She is a cutie. Hope all goes well.

nangel519
26th February 2007, 06:52 PM
She is just beautiful! Congrats on getting a buddy for Wesley. She looks like she will fit in perfectly with your family! Good luck tonight!!!!! :jump:

My Wesley
26th February 2007, 06:57 PM
From what I recall they said she is really good with other dogs and that she's more in the submissive roll. They are the ones who set the one weel time frame. But I'm more than sure she'll be ok. Plus she'll have her own crate and toys from there so she'll have familiar items around. I'm sure she'll take some time to adjust, but we'll ease her in as well as we can.

And she's a tiny one too! They said she's about 10-11lbs. And that's what Wesley is right now at 4 1/2 months, so that will be neat. Time to order another Puppia!!!!!

-leah-
26th February 2007, 07:52 PM
Shes gorgeous :)

merlinsmum
26th February 2007, 07:53 PM
Congratulations! Wesley has a new big sister - he'll love you forever now he has a playmate!

Lisa_T
26th February 2007, 07:55 PM
Are you sure she's 2years old? Just from what you say about her size and her coat does look quite puppy like- tris often have very profuse coats, just like B/Ts. Of course, maybe she's just been extremely well stripped, but her coat does look rather like Amber's now at seven months. Feathered, but not excessively so.

Kelz
26th February 2007, 08:04 PM
congratulations she is wonderful, would of chose the 2nd dog rather than other child too haha

My Wesley
26th February 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm wondering if they maybe had her groomed that way. Not sure. He said they got her from a breeder and have all her paperwork and everything. I'll look at it all tonight and check it out. Good point though on the coat. They've never said anything about her being a possible mix though. Hmm....

matties mum
26th February 2007, 08:25 PM
Oh she is loverly hope she soon feels at home when we had Sam he was as good as gold and so was Jazzie and Barney so good luck with your Daisy -----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie ---Barney---Sam)

My Wesley
26th February 2007, 08:28 PM
Now that I think of it, she looks like she could be related to Sydney as in Ruby and Sydney from VA. :)

Kodee
26th February 2007, 08:32 PM
She looks like a very easy going, calm dog. My breeder's cav's (6, 4 being tri's) were split 2 having coats just as smooth and silk like Daisy and the other 2, thicker and longer. Kodee already feels like her Mom, thicker and longer but that is what a King Coat was invented for!

Kodee
26th February 2007, 08:35 PM
She looks like a very easy going, calm dog. My breeder's cav's (6, 4 being tri's) were split 2 having coats just as smooth and silk like Daisy and the other 2, thicker and longer. Kodee already feels like her Mom, thicker and longer but that is what a King Coat was invented for!

If I get another dog (hmm just maybe..) it will be an older one too. I love and I mean love training from puppy! Especially because we got our lab at 5mths and I have not experienced this before. But do to my lifestyle (ok age...) if I do get another I will be looking for a 6mth plus one that fits well.

Lindsay
26th February 2007, 09:00 PM
I think she is gorgeous! Congrats on the new addition! :flwr:

molly
26th February 2007, 09:17 PM
Daisy is a very sweet adorable dog! I sure hope that she will come home iwth you tonight. She looks perfect for your family. Can't wait to hear what happens!

Charleen
26th February 2007, 09:30 PM
Congratulations - can't wait to hear more. She is really adorable.

Maxxs_Mummy
27th February 2007, 12:45 AM
She is completely adorable, how on earth can they bear to be parted from her?

Cathy T
27th February 2007, 01:21 AM
Oh isn't she a sweetie?! Look at those beautiful eyes. As far as the coat...Jake and Shelby have totally different coats. Shelby's hair in general is shorter, not nearly as feathery as Jake's. I think she's going to work out great!!

Nisha
27th February 2007, 06:31 AM
wow she adorable!!! and her coat is beautiful!!!! hopefully all goes well! good luck with everything! will be waiting to hear more news

Cathy Moon
27th February 2007, 11:43 AM
She looks like a very sweet girl!!

Sydney
18th March 2007, 02:16 PM
To Daisy,

You are absolutely beautiful and you do look a little like me. You have one more white spot on your back that I don't have and I have a little wider stripe on my forehead, but other than that we are just alike, BEAUTIFUL. As for your snout, its not too long. Remember, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed standard says the snout should be AT LEAST 1 1/2 inches from the base of the stop to the tip of the nose, so I think you are just about right. I hope you get along with Wesley but I think you are going to be very, very, happy with your new home and new family. Keep Ruby and I updated on how things are going and if there is advice we can offer to help.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

freesia
18th March 2007, 02:23 PM
Awww, she is lovely, she has gorgeous big eyes. Given time she will soon settle.

debjen
18th March 2007, 04:20 PM
Hope everything is working out with the new addition

Karlin
18th March 2007, 06:03 PM
As for your snout, its not too long. Remember, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed standard says the snout should be AT LEAST 1 1/2 inches from the base of the stop to the tip of the nose, so I think you are just about right.

Actually this isn't quite right. The base to tip should be ABOUT 1.5 inches -- that is how the standard is interpreted by judges. Longer than that is getting to be a fault. If you check show dog pics the muzzles are quite short.

UK breed standard (the original!):

HEAD & SKULL: Skull almost flat between ears. Stop shallow. Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 1/2 inches.

AKC standard:

Muzzle - Full muzzle slightly tapered. Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 1/2 inches.

The CKCSC standard is the only one that says a 'minimum' of 1.5 inches, but no judge would allow for much longer than that for correct breed conformation. Longer nosed dogs are referred to as being 'snipey' which is undesireable in a show dog but of course makes NO DIFFERENCE in a pet. :) However I think it is important for anyone who loves the breed to understand the breed standards, as breeders offering dogs well outside such standards are to be avoided. All three breed standards are in the Library section in 'Buying a Cavalier'. :thmbsup:

Mom_of_2_Cavies
18th March 2007, 06:38 PM
Aw, she looks beautiful and very sweet! I had the same thought as someone else above--how could any family give her up??? But lucky for you that they are! And lucky for her that she's getting your family!

I am sure that you will give her the necessary adjustment time (could be longer than a week, and she may need some time to adjust to a new place and how to ask to go out, etc., depending on what she's been used to) but in a few days you should be able to see that things are on track to work out well. (Having just gone through this recently myself!)

Oh -- and here is the big plus to another Cavalier as opposed to a third child: you don't have to start a college fund!