• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cage/Crate

hi,

the largest you have room for,

Harry was crated for the 1st year of his life, and he loved it my son is very hyperactive and having the crate gave Harry somewhere to go for some "leave me alone" time

just noticed you live in Durham, i'm not that far from you (south shields)

The crate should be as big as the dog will be able to use when he/she is full grown. When the dog is a puppy, you can take part of a cardboard box, etc., to block off the back part of the crate so that the puppy can't soil part of the crate then get away from it - that's a bad habit. 8)

I thought that sentence was going to finish with ''means i have somewhere to put him too''

:oops:

Ha ha ha ha ha i didn't have to lock him in there, he used to go in and play with Harry, but understood when Harry was asleep to leave him alone.

But believe me, there were (and still are) days when i could lock my son up lol

Thank you, lol I thought you were going to say the crate was for the bairn as well.

Yep we are not too far away from each other, small world

:D

I have a crate that is large enough for a boxer (it was given to me by a friend) and my three cavies all snuggle in there together and just love it. If your cavie is full grown then get one large enough for your dogs to be able to stand erect and move around.

If you are getting a puppy, then I would get one that could be blocked off (like Donna mentioned) because it will make potty training very difficult if they can potty on one side and sleep on the other. Dogs instinctively like to keep their sleeping quarters clean and will try to hold it if the crate is small enough (yet still large enough for them to stand errect and move around normally).

Good luck!

Not ready to get one yet. I'm still saving hard for one, not really sure how much I will need. Seen loads advertised at around £450 but I don't want to make a mistake, so not sure if this is what they normally go for or a few hundred more? Just reading up about them and trying to find out as much as I can.

Looking at training, insurance, that sort of thing.

Didn't know about the scratching thing, until I came on this site (sorry cannot remember the name of it) so I'm picking things up.

When I'm ready to buy one, I hope the vet or some of you nice people can point me in the right direction for one.

:D

Ideally, if Kodee (12 wks) were to continue using her crate as an adult I would have preferred the 24" x 30". I have the 18" x 24". It fits perfectly where I need the crate to go. It will also fit an adult for travel - just maybe too small should she still want to sleep in it instead of a bed when she is older if she ends up on the larger average size. (personally I will motivate her to switch to a bed at about 1yr and save it for travel only). If you have room for the larger I think its the best bet. Also do a search, someone on here posted nice pictures of a grate my size with covers showing a 1yr old and her older dog in it to give you an idea.

We thought maybe a 36" but not sure if that's big enough, so how about a 48"

It's going to be a while before I get a puppy but we have chosen a name already. My youngest who is 12yrs has even been asking her friends, she is so excited about it all. When we get her she is going to be called Bella. :D

The crate I have for my guys is 42" x 26" x 27" but I do admit it is a hand-me-down from the Boxers. It really is huge for the Cavaliers but they love it. There is plenty of room to walk around, roll over, pick a different spot to lay in, and to snuggle up to a couple of others in there as well.

I think you need to look at the spot you will be putting the crate in. There is no point having a huge crate if it is so big that it is a nuisance in the room, but on the other hand if you do have the room, it is nice to have a large one.

I'd forget about the house crate doubling as a travelling crate. It just isn't practical in my opinion. For my car, I just got the biggest plastic one that would fit on my back seat and it is considerably smaller than the house crate, but still big enought that 2 CKCSs would be comfortable in it.

Some people will tell you to buy a small crate for a puppy as it is easier to toilet train them in it, but that has not been my experience. No matter how big the bed, my guys just don't like peeing in it. If this did become a problem then it is easy to divide the crate up into smaller sections by sliding some boards through the bars. These can easily be removed when the puppy can be trusted not to pee in his bed (if in fact he does).

We just got a 24x30 for Molly to recoop from her SM surgery in and it's a great size for her, plenty big. She's approx 14lbs and almost 2. There's room for blankies, a couple toys and we have a water dish attached.

405818244_d345f43972_m.jpg

Molly's mom said:
We just got a 24x30 for Molly to recoop from her SM surgery in and it's a great size for her, plenty big. She's approx 14lbs and almost 2. There's room for blankies, a couple toys and we have a water dish attached.

405818244_d345f43972_m.jpg
Oh seeing how comfy your dog is makes me wish I could have fit that size where the crate needs to be! Hopefully Kodee will make the switch to a bed once she is older or be on the small size of a cavalier! I only use hers for night and long (over 1 hr) car trips (she has a smaller plastic one for in-town travel). IF I had to do it over starting out, I would get the 24x30 crate and one size up in the plastic one for the car too (I got petmate intermediate, should have gotten large).

Did I read that right? £450 for a crate? Argos do a fantastic medium sized one for £36 or so. I have that one as it is perfect for two Cavs, as well as another that the breeders lent to me which is bigger again :yikes . I would really recommend the Argos crate for the house, and an ordinary plastic crate for the car. The one I currently use for Amber is from Petsmart and cos t £21 or so.

Ste said:
Harry's mom said:
hi,

my son is very hyperactive and having the crate
I thought that sentence was going to finish with ''means i have somewhere to put him too''

:oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ste, I have a stitch from laughing now! My eldest son has the same 'disorder' as Heather's little man and believe me, they are such hard work that sometimes you feel like getting in a cage and shutting the door yourself! Fortunately, they do tend to get easier as they get older ;)

Heather, I wonder, do you find the same as I did with my eldest that animals actually soothe them and calm them down? At my youngest's high school, the SEN co-ordinators offices are in a building that is attached to the outside of the school. Very often the kids who need extra help and get frustrated etc are sent over there for some 'quiet time'. One of the co-ordinators was telling me that sometimes the kids go in and are really kicking off but now a neighbourhood cat has taken to going in and visiting. She really calms the kids down too so they welcome her with open arms :flwr:

I mean, it is a well documented fact that dolphins have an effect on humans but other animals are obviously good at sensing things too :flwr:

I've seen this in several schools. During my first teaching placement, the school had such a unit, only in this case it was primarily intended as a supporting unit for those kids who had Asperger's, but I think it was also a general SEN resource. They're generally better at differentiation in England than they are here in NI (hum, DfES might have somethng to do with that...). During my second placement I remember asking the HoD what the differentiation protocols were and he looked at me and said, "You don't need differentiation. They're already streamed..."- in England that would have caused screams of protest!

On the other hand, do NOT get me started on one-size-fits-all integration. Grrr.

Back