• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coco is in heat!!!

pamela

Hi all,

just thought i would share with you Coco is in heat :? My other half just called me in work to say she has ruined his t-shirt while watching TV!! I cant believe my little girl is now a woman!! hee hee
does anyone have any tips for me on how i should deal with this? is there anything in particular i should do, other than watch her like a hawk and keep all the boys away?! Also, i live in the Dublin area - does anyone know where i can find the little underwear i have heard people talking about in other threads?

Hi Pamela.
Poor Coco. I'm sure she's a bit confused.
I think you can get the pants in the petstore in blanch.
I had holly spayed at 6 months so I didn't have this problem.
Have you thought about getting her spayed?? Cuts down on future problems like mammary cancer.
good luck though. :)
Yvonne

How old is Coco now? Lily is 6 months and I expect her to go in heat any time. My Vet has recommended letting her go through one season before spaying her becasue she has an inverted vulva, and he's hoping this will correct the problem. Otherwise, I would have already had her spayed. I am not looking forward to her going into heat, but I will take my Vets advice. Good luck with your little girl, I mean eer, woman. :)

Thanks for the reply Yvonne. I really dont know what to do about getting her spayed - I have heard so many different opinions regarding letting them have a litter etc. It's so hard to know what is best. I will check Blanchardstown petstore -thanks for the tip :flwr:

Hi Shay,

Coco is just over 7 months now - and I have to say I have been expecting this for the last few weeks as she has been very cranky and hormonal! Do you think i should take her to the vet to see what he thinks and to give her a check-up?

Do you mean about getting her spayed? I don't know if they can spay her if she is already in heat, forgive my ignorance. I would just watch her very carefully when she goes outside to potty. That is the real fear that I have about letting Lily go through one season. I don't have a fenced in yard, and I take her out to potty on a leach. Most of the people in my neighborhood all keep up their animals, but you never know. I am so afraid that a dog from blocks away may come over, and I'll have a fight on my hands. I really do not want her to go in heat. I have never heard that they should have one litter before being spayed. I have always been told by Vets they should be spayed before ever going in heat. It's healthier for the dog, and they really should not have a litter. Only reputable breeders should be breeding. I'm sure some of the breeders on the boards can give you more information about this.

Pamela,

You can get some doggy diapers for her. They're very common so you shouldn't have any trouble finding any.

Also, I totally agree with Shay about the whole litter issue. Breeding of this breed and any pure bred dog should be left to the professional breeders ONLY. I know it sounds harsh but irresponsible and casual breeding can destroy the health and longevity of a breed. So please, please, please don't breed your sweet little girl. There are sooo many reasons not to breed her including the fact that she and all her pups could die during the birthing process. Scary stuff but true...just ask any of the breeders on this board.

Okay...I'm off my soapbox now. Get her some doggy diapers and then get on the phone and schedule an appointment with your vet to have her neutered!

Hi Pamela.
We used to have a german sheppard and our vet recommended her having one litter.... which we did. God that was about 15 years ago.
At that time, vets did recommend it. I don't think many of the younger vets do now.
I think now the debate is whether to let them come into season or not before getting them spayed. My vet in celbridge (whom Karlin would recommend) told me it was better to do before, so I took his advice.
Ask your vet when you visit him/her. They'll be able to offer more advice.
She's a gorgeous dog. :)
Yvonne

Shay said:
How old is Coco now? Lily is 6 months and I expect her to go in heat any time. My Vet has recommended letting her go through one season before spaying her becasue she has an inverted vulva, and he's hoping this will correct the problem. Otherwise, I would have already had her spayed. I am not looking forward to her going into heat, but I will take my Vets advice. Good luck with your little girl, I mean eer, woman. :)

This problem (inverted vulva) was just talked about on a cavalier list. I believe this problem "may" be fixed by doing what your vet said-- let her sexually mature and the issue can resolve

oh nooooo!!! now i wish i'd had her spayed already! I will certainly bring her to the vet and have it done now, my poor little angel,i hope this is not too traumatic for her!

NO i will wait until she is finished this heat, i will just arrange it when we go to the vet this time :?

The vet will no doubt recommend that you leave it for about 3 months after her first season has finished as ours did, as you have to make sure they don't have a phantom pregnancy, as this can result in psychological damage due to the mind set that they experience during phantom pregnancies.

Sorry for the silly question but i have heard people talking about phantom pregnancies before but i am not sure what they are?

My work will spay dogs in heat, but would recommend waiting till they've finished the cycle as the uterus/tubes etc become enlarged and bloody so they bleed a lot more if spayed during this time. Wait till she's off heat then do it, much safer ;)

i hope she's ok i am also like you shay dreading when lady comes in to season all the vets i have spoken to keep telling me to let her have a first season and refuse to spay her. We have a fenced garden but i am still worried about a dog jumping the fence and getting to her. I was also told to wait till 12 weeks then book her for the spay. Do dogs really come to the front door and try to get to the bitch? Or is that just a roumour.

That I don't know, but when I had my Old English, this was many many years ago, Vets then would not spay before they had one season. I had her outside to potty one day on a leash, and a dog came from who knows where, becasue I had never seen it before in my neighborhood. This dog was trying to attack me to get to Heather, it was a very large dog. I was only 17 at the time and terrified. Needless to say the dog got to her. When my parents got home they immediately took her to the Vet. They gave her something to abort if conception occurred. We brought her home and 2 or 3 days later, can't remeber exactly, but she became very ill. We brought her back to the Vet and she was there for almost 2 weeks. It was touch and go, and they didn't think she would make it. She had gotten some kind of infection, they had to do an emergency hysterectomy, it was really bad. She did pull through, and lived to be 14. This is why I would never let a dog go in heat and I know the Vets now say spay before they have a season. This is why I was so torn when my Vet said to let Lily have one season becasue of her inverted Vulva. I will be a complete nervous wreck every time I take her out.

Don't take her out unless you absolutely have to. If you don't have a garden to let her go the toilet bring her somewhere away from your house to go. The scent in her urine will attract dogs from far and wide and as Shay said they may attack you to get to her.

Don't let her out of your sight when she is not in the house. It's a very anxious time when they are in heat - I'm so glad my girls are all spayed.

Good luck :flwr:

Back