• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flossies?

frecklesmom

Ended up at noon with Annie at the vet having part of a Flossie removed from her throat. Think she got tired of chewing and just tried to swallow it. I could feel it with my finger but couldn't grasp it. Poor little girl-had just had her rabies vac this am. She'd had a Flossie (part of one) b/4 and done very well with it. She won't get one again, for sure.

Oh no!!! My guys love flossies but I do have to supervise very carefully. Both of mine are prone to choking if they try to inhale things. I usually take the flossies away once they get down to small enough to choke on. Glad Annie is okay!!

But, once again, you have reminded me that I really do need to be vigil and stay with them when they are chewing on them. It only takes a minute to choke.

I have 2 cavalier gulpers. I cannot give my boy raw bones because he grinds and gulps. Today I gave them both phat flossies after their Nursing Home visit because they needed to unwind. My boy chewed it up in less than 10 minutes, and I took it away from both of them. Belle just chewed 1/4 of it. I sit next to them and bribe them to drop them when they get small.

They have always been piggy gulpers. The only bone that I do not sit down next to them when they chew is the extra large nylabone.

I had to look on Google to see what a Flossie was; like a hide chew only tendon.

My springers had huge hide chews (cow's legs we used to joke, because of the size) and so Monty and Izzy got smaller ones too. However, Monty will swallow a chew when it gets to a certain size (rendering the chews, sold by the vet useless, as softening them made them almost immediately swallow size) and gagged alarmingly sometimes, when the soggy item got stuck part way.

I used to assume that , as they were digestible, they were sure to go down (as Monty's did) but later got to know of fatalities.

Now the boys get munchy minty sticks, made from tiny pieces of hide in starch . There are a few rolled up (cigar or wrapped then rolled larger ones-I would never give the bone shapes, whose 'knuckles come away easily, or the novelty shapes) about, which Teddy gnaws on, now and then, but he soon gets tired of them , so they'll be easy to throw out when they get near danger size. Unlike Monty, he only shears off tiny pieces, too small to harm.

Back