• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

camping

lily

hi

do many of you go camping with your cavs?? lily will be 1omths when we are considering our camping trip & wondered how we'd cope. icon_whistling

Rather you than me! I camped for the 3 days at the V festival. Won't be doing that again. Depends on the weather really. A cavalier wouldn't have been enough to keep me warm that weekend! :shifty:

We haven't tried that yet, but I would like to take them on a short weekend this summer if we could find a grassy site. I think bringing along some xpens could make it more enjoyable. :)

camped last year with 4 :yikes

great fun but came home more tired than when we went :oops:

Hi,

yeah, we went camping for the first time last year - it was fab!!!
The only problem I had was Car Sickness with Belle (see other post)

But the camping was fab Belle really loved it - it was great to have a holiday where she wasn't put in the kennels and we were with her the whole time in fact it was that good we are going camping again this year about 3 times.

My advise give it a try it'll be great fun!!! :lol:

xxx

The x-pen is a great idea, just make sure not to leave her unsupervised because of wild animals. Wesley came with us on a camping/kayaking trip onces and he did great. We had taken him on some nature walks leading up to the trip to get him used to being in the woods. He slept in the collapsable crate in the tent with us and did really well. WE all had so much fun together :D :yikes

Wesley was quite funny in his life jacket sitting on hubby's lap in the kayak. I was terrified of gators so I don't know if we will do that again, but we live in Florida so it is a bit different. :yikes

I would think it would depend on the type of camping.

My hubby's idea of camping is tents and such.

My idea of camping is in an RV or Motorhome. I grew up with a family of RV'ers. We all have had our dogs at the campsite and traveled with them in our Moblie Homes. This was of camping is a breeze... basically just like you are at home!! We just made sure our dogs were always on a leash outside.

Now, as for the pitch a tent and "rough-it," imho... I wouldn't do it (although that may be more of the human in me). I think it would be difficult to do everything you need to do, while worrying about the dog (i am not one to "stake" a dog).

DH and I are going camping here in Ohio at a place called Hocking Hills, it is a really neat little area about an hour or so away from Columbus... and we are taking Cicero with... but it is camping in the sense of ... little camping cabins and such. This way we can either take or leave Cicero when we go horseback riding and such.

Here is a link to my idea of "camping" (i am not a fan of tents, I backpacked for a week in Kentucky and that was my last "tent" trip :) )

http://www.getaway-cabins.com/cabin_rentals.htm

and this is the cabin we are renting

http://www.getaway-cabins.com/cabin20.htm

Yeah, that is about as close as I get to camping... well that and the Motor Home :)

But... my hubby says it's fine... seeing as we still get to enjoy hiking, climbing, going to caves, and horseback riding (and maybe a little fishing). He would be happy in a tent (he was an ES), but I say no way!

Also be sure you have needed safeguards for the region you go to to go camping. May be risk of things dog isn't at risk for at home (eg lyme disease, lepto, general tick problems). Often you'll get ticks from being out in woodsy area.

Also as noted be sure the dog is secure and cannot wander off. A dog will have no idea where it is and can more easily be lost. So just take some extra and common sense precautions for the new circumstances.

If you like camping, then your dog probably will too!

i hope jason doesn't see this thread he always threatens to take me camping and making me walk round looking at tents and camping stuff. I have a solution me and lady can stay in a cabin and jason can sleep in a tent outside that's compromise right!

We've camped many times with Merlin - he loves it and its especial;y nice when he gets inside the sleeping bag to be your personal hot water bottle! and this year I'll have Oakley the head warmer :D

WOW ...... so not so many happy campers after all?? thought with all you dog lovers, their would be loads who camped. :oops: well we started the last 2 years & love it & am sure lily will to this year.... think she'll definatley be my sons water bottle as i dont fancy the chances of an in tent crate like some campers use.... its her holiday to to i think a sleeping bag will be more favourable...

Yep, we love going camping and love taking the dogs. Only problem with cavs is they run off at any sign of a bird. We have them on 20 metre ropes so they can wander around the whole campsite, sit on peoples laps and explore without any chance of losing them. Fergus loves going swimming in the creek. At nigh they sleep with us in the tent althoug last time we went we had a hot water bottle with us to kkep warm. Fergus thought that was his to lie on sohe could keep himself warm! They do get heaps of burrs in their fur though, especially in the hair btween their paws. I suggest giving the hair there a trim before the camping trip.

We first took Fergus when he was about 18 months.

We always take our Cavi's camping with us. We have an RV, so they stay cool when it is hot outside. I recomend you keep them up to date with flea and tick meds. They will get ticks very easy if they aren't taking something for it. I actually take my dogs out on our jet ski's also and the LOVE IT! The wind in their face, swimming... they love every minute of it. But make sure they wear thier doggy life vests for this!!! :lol:

We go for about 3 weeks every year plus a few weekend trips here and there. We also have a motorhome and it works out perfectly for us.
Now last years trip was by far the hardest, we did enter into a tick infested campground and we had to deal with these. Plus we later found that there was poison oak there as well.
Not a good combination if you have to spend several times everyday removing ticks from the dogs when they have poison all over their coats. Yes with in a few days I looked lovely.....
This has not tainted us though and we will continue with our trips. We do keep them leashed while outside and only let them off the leash if we are in an open and safe area.
Be sure to bring plenty of food and water.

We camp all the time. Hence, my name on the board. Libby went with us a week after we had her. We do camp in an RV now though. Used to have a tent camper, but that miracle grow is amazing stuff. lol

Here's a picture of her

2006CavPuppyPictures001.jpg

Back