PDA

View Full Version : 10 Poisons to Keep Away from Dogs

Lindsay
1st March 2007, 02:54 PM
Not that we don't all know these already icon_whistling Just thought this was a handy article on MSN today. :flwr:

http://dogcentral.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3196568&GT1=9170

Joanne M
1st March 2007, 10:38 PM
Thank you Lindsay.

Remali
2nd March 2007, 01:16 AM
Thank you for posting that for us!!

:flwr:

laurenlyn1
2nd March 2007, 04:25 AM
i read that. i wonder why they didn't mention grapes and rasins

Cathy Moon
2nd March 2007, 12:02 PM
i read that. i wonder why they didn't mention grapes and rasins
The list doesn't include everything that is toxic to dogs. Possibly this is a short list of recent poisoning cases seen by a vet? It's a good reminder to watch the medications, etc. and keep them out of reach to our dogs. though.

I noticed that no plants were mentioned either.

Raisons are a fairly recent discovery, so they are missing from many poison lists.

Crittercall
2nd March 2007, 11:04 PM
Lindsay, thanks for posting this list. Everyone is correct in that it isn't a complete list, but I've seen entire booklets devoted to that.

I think the most important thing on the list is the phone number for Animal Poison Control. That's something that we should all keep handy - and be sure to have your credit card in hand when you call them!

Sharon 7
5th March 2007, 03:34 AM
Grapes? I wasn't aware of that one :yikes

Battie4
5th March 2007, 04:12 AM
thanks for the list its a good reminder!

Lani
5th March 2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the reminders!! :flwr: There is also a wealth of info on the ASPCA's website about household toxins:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

I'm sure it's not complete either, but definitely good to know. They also have an email list and send periodic emails and warm of different potential toxins in their newsletter.

Crittercall
5th March 2007, 05:06 AM
Lani, why would they send toxins in their newsletter??? JUST KIDDING!!! I though that was a great list, have saved it to my favorites and sent it to a couple of friends with dogs.

On a similar note, I was just reading in a bird newsletter that I get that hydrolized animal protein, a product found in a lot of lipstick, mascara, hair products, etc., is actually the poop of horses, cows, and pigs that has been boiled then the "scum" from the top used in these products. YUCK. Let's start checking labels!

Thanks for the link for that newsletter, Lani. I really do appreciate it and am going back to read more. :D