PDA

View Full Version : rapid breathing

ann
2nd March 2007, 12:55 AM
Ellie is 14 weeks old. She eats well and is full of energy. But we have noticed that usually about 9 oclock at night when she is asleep or resting she pants a lot and her breathing seems fast. I suppose our room is quite warm..... She had her heart checked at 11 weeks when she had her jabs and the vet said she was fine.........Is this common in cav pups?? or should I be worried?

Lisa_T
2nd March 2007, 01:33 AM
Do you mean actual open mouthed panting? Or closed mouthed fast breathing whilst sleeping? If the latter, I think it's normal. I remember worrying about the same thing when Holly was tiny, and then noticing and recognising it in Amber. However, if you're really worried, bring her to the vet-is this your first Cav pup?

arasara
2nd March 2007, 02:02 AM
Kosmo breathed really fast when he was small.. I remember freaking out about it and the vet saying that he was probably just perspiring a bit.

Faith also breaths really quick when she sleeps.. I think it's cute :flwr:

Cathy Moon
2nd March 2007, 03:23 AM
When Geordie and India were pups, his respiration rate was always higher / faster than hers. I asked the vet about it several times, and nothing ever came of it. As an adult, his respiration rate has slowed to be about the same as hers when sleeping. Geordie has always been a bit nervous and high strung when compared to India. His rib cage is also not as 'well-sprung' as hers, either. I really don't know what to make of it!

If you feel concerned about it, you might want to discuss it with your vet. :flwr: :flwr:

Cathy T
2nd March 2007, 04:12 AM
Both of mine breathed very rapidly as babies. I remember hearing how breaths there should be per minute and panicking..sure that Jake was sick. Nope, he was fine. Shelby still breathes rapidly when she first falls asleep. Jake also does the panting thing...not sure what that's all about...but then settles down fine.

ann
2nd March 2007, 10:33 AM
Somtimes she is fast asleep when she does it, and other times she is just lying there awake. She sticks she tongue out a bit too. Its funny but it always seems to be around the same time at night....If I put her down on the floor, she stops. That is why I was thinking she gets too hot.
Yes Ellie is our first Cav pup. I suppose I have got it into my head about the heart problems they can have..... :? I worry too much :?
She has to see the vet next week , so I will mention it to him.
She is so FULL of energy :shock: I doubt their is anything wrong with her. We new Mums worry too much :sl*p:

Lisa_T
3rd March 2007, 02:36 AM
Remember she's only a baby. MVD- if that's what you're worried about- is a degenerative condition and practically unheard of in a young pup. Although pups can have murmurs which then sort themselves out as they grow- I don't think the two are related.

But yes it's scary when you're not sure and they're breathing so fast.