• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yesterday Was Scary!

Shay

Hi All.....Thanks to everyone who posted and PM'd me to see If we were o.k., Lily and I went to my Mom's yesterday morning becasue I didn't want to be in the house with just me and Lily, and I didn't want my Mom to be alone. Hubby has been in Atlanta all week. We were under tornado warnings all day yesterday until about 8:00 last night. I hate this time of year. We got lucky becasue it was not as warm here as it was further south. About 7:00 last night, we had to get in the closet becasue one was headed straight to my Mom's house. It never touched down, thankfully. The most scary part of yesterday is that my niece, (my brother's daughter) and her husband and 2 little ones live in Enterprise(about 3 hrs south of Birmingham) where the tornado hit the school. I didn't know until it was on CNN about 1:00 yesterday. I called my brother who lives here and he didn't know about it, he was at work. At that point they were only talking about the school and we didn't know whether the whole city had been hit or not. I was freaking out. My brother finally got in touch with them about 3:00 and everything was fine. My niece's husband used to teach at the high school, but went back to school and got another degree in engineering. He is now the city engineer for Enterprise. Needless to say he will be pretty busy for a while. All and all it was a pretty scary day, but all is well.

Edited to add: Sorry, I didn't see Joanne's post. I had posted this in Dog and Bone, so I moved it here. Thanks Jo, for posting for me!

I'm so glad your safe and sound. I couldn't imagine such a scary thing happening!

Give your Lily another extra hug when you get home from Sadie!

I am so glad you are safe! I grew up in the midwest and we had horrible storms and tornados there too - we don't really get anything like that here in the northeast. I remember having to do the tornado drills all through school. Luckily I never had to actually experience what you did.

So sorry you had to go through that and mostly just thankful that you, your mom & Lily are okay and came through it okay. :flwr:

Glad your family are fine.....I knew you had gone to your Moms' place with Lily!

Scarey stuff! :flwr: :flwr:

Hey Shay glad to see you back here. I would have been petrified, I cannot recall ever having to take cover in a closet. I cannot imagine how scary that must have been for you, your mother and Lily. Just how big was that closet??? I don't think one person could fit in mine they are so small.

How did Lily handle all the confusion?

Thank God your family were not injured in Enterprise. The scenes on the news from the devastation in that town are frightening. I'm sure they lost people they know as it said on the news that this is a small town and everyone knows everyone else. How very sad.

Hugs to you and Lily

so glad you are ok shay!!!! i didn't hear about the tornados until today and enterprise is all over the news here.

i'm petrified of tornados after a couple of close calls in georgia but yesterday sounded horrific!

k :flwr:

Hello Shay!!
I hadn't read the other post - saw this one first - but I know that terrified feeling. We had tornado warnings here until 2 a.m. (not actually the county we live in but too close for comfort). The pool is full of leaves and we had some thunder but that's it.

I'm glad you guys are okay. And I hope all is well with your family in Enterprise. I'm not sure which is more frightening - this or the hurricanes.

Joanne M said:
Just how big was that closet??? How did Lily handle all the confusion? I'm sure they lost people they know as it said on the news that this is a small town and everyone knows everyone else. How very sad. How did Lily handle all the confusion?
It was a walk in closet. We had pillows in there to cover our heads. Lily thought it was a game, she handled it all well. As long as she is right next to me, she is fine ;). It was hard taking her out at my Mom's with her being in heat, but she was a really good girl. I'm not sure if my nieces husband knew any of the kids or teachers. When my brother talked to them yesterday, they didn't know who any of the people were yet. He was born and raised there, and having taught at the school, although it was probaby 15 years ago, more than likely he did know someone. So sad :(

Pauline wrote: So glad you are safe. When are you going home?

I came home about 11:00 this morning. My Mother spoils Lily to death. It is so sweet. Lily didn't want to leave. I usually say 'let's go' and I unzip her crate and she jumps right in. I couldn"t get her to go in until I acted like I was leaving without her. :lol:

Thanks everyone, for all the prayers and warm wishes. It means a lot to me. Hopefully this will be a mild tornado season. :xfngr:

Glad you are all OK Shay, you too Donna. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place where you get tornados as I am petrified of high winds :yikes :roll:

Stay safe during the tornado season all of you in affected areas :flwr:

only just catching up with this thread i am so relived that your ok, shay we were thinking about you and your family. :p

Thanks Nat......I really appreciate yours, and everyone's concern...We were lucky here in Birmingham. It is just heartbreaking to watch the news about the kids at the high school in the southern part of my state who were killed. It has consumed the news here since it happened, as you can imagine.

Back