• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating Sticks

Yvonne117

Do all cavaliers eat sticks and wood whilst out on walks. My two are a nightmare and trying to get the sticks off of them is really hard.

:roll: :roll: :roll: i had to elevate my ficus tree to keep indy from eating its branches and he also ate the dead blueberry bush on my balcony. it's not a big problem on walks but that's probably because there is gum and other stuff to distract him. maybe it's because we live in the city and he doesn't have much access to grass? yvonne do you have a garden or is it city walks for yours as well?

k

Sticks to go

Alfs likes to eat sticks,chewing gum and rabitt pooooo.if i catch him in time he will drop it.I find tiny stones are the worst,they do find there way out agian.

We'll at the moment we don't have too many sticks on the ground as they are all covered with snow.

But Dudley is terrible for picking up bird feathers, the wee one will pick up anything and everything.

The Hunting instincts in them.
;) ;) ;) ;)

Yep, sticks and stones :yikes are considered a treat in these parts and certain little fluffy boys I know will sneak away when and if they manage to thieve one to enjoy them just incase their mammy finds them and snatches it away.

GREAT question...I was wondering the same. Molly & Max eat sticks all the time and it's very hard to keep them from eating them!

We partially heat the house with a wood stove and I am constantly trying to sweep up the extra bits of wood that end up on the floor from filling the stove. The pups will race right over to eat it up. My dh doesn't think it's a big deal to let them eat it!!!!!! I think it's not good at all, especially since Max let out a yelp of pain when pooping one morning...I checked the poop out and there was a 1" piece of wood...cross ways....must have hurt the little guy. I can only imagine that this is NOT good.

I do my best to keep them from chewing sticks.

We have an open wood storage thingy built in next to the fireplace...Jake likes to jump up there and help himself to wood slivers. He is also like to graze on the wood chips in the potty area. Drives me absolutely batty. Shelby prefers abc (already been chewed) gum....gross!!

My three will eat anything and everything that is on the floor. One of my favorite saying's is in dog ...the phrase "What have you got" means "SWALLOW" :sl*p:

I learned that with Reggie and it holds true with all of them..

Makes for alot of yard cleaning . :D

You are not alone - and it isn't just the Cavaliers. There is a section of our fence where the girls just love to go chew. We have jasmine growing on the fence along with other assorted prizes. And Wallis brought in some gravel last night and was chewing it.

Sasha loves styrofoam peanuts and paper napkins.

Eternal two year olds. You just go with the flow!

My boy loves to eat wood but my girl does not. My boy is also quite rambunctious and my girl is very prim and proper.

We had an ice storm this week. Kodee got to jump through huge snow banks and then eat the fallen branches. I spent 1/2 hr picking up 2' branches and piling them up - she was getting :x because she couldnt get them out as fast as I was putting them in.

Spring will be FUN! I put cedar chips around the ENTIRE perimeter of my backyard in the garden. The odd one that pokes through the snow makes it to her mouth :sl*p: I cant stand to think how much money I am going to be turning over to bury then. That or its going to take an awful lot of Bitter Apple Spray :yuk:

Thanks everybody I feel much better now. Mine eat every stick and branch they come into contact with. Our park has wood chips at the entrance and they would rather stay and eat the wood chips than go for a run!!

Kim we are lucky we do have a large town 5 mins away but in the other direction we have countyside and woodland (full of bits of wood). My husband calls the dogs for a walk by telling them its wood snack time.

I forgot to mention, when the kids have biscuits and sweets they are not interested but if the have ice lollies the dogs pester them for the lolly sticks.

oh indy loves to sneak off with his sticks so i can't see him.....yesterday i realised that he's learned a new trick. he now knows that if he holds something in his mouth without moving/chewing it while he walks past me then i won't know to take it away. he points himself away from me and drops it into his paws so i think he's grooming. he pulled that little move with a pistachio shell yesterday.

they are so clever with their little ways :roll:
:lol:
k

alfs was at the vets over christmas he had to have the stones taken out of his bum,as they were stuck he did yelp.but he hasnt learnt his lesson yet .

Eating sticks and stones might not break their bones......

....but it drives me nuts!! :yikes I'm kind of relieved to read that it seems to be a cav trait to eat sticks and chew gravel loudly. Our little 8 month girl Maisy sometimes goes into overdrive and just vacuums everything up that she can potentially chew/swallow either on town walks or country walks. I am at a loss as to work out how to stop this behaviour as it cannot be good for them. Does anyone here know if they grow out of this or is it for life and we should just accept it? :yuk:

Best regards Maisy's Mom & Dad :D

We are now monitoring Harvey very closely as over the weekend he ate half my wicker laundry basket. It made him sick the next day and he bought up loads of bits of wicker. We told the vet and we have been told to watch him carefully. He has not been sick since but every poo he does is full of bits of wicker. We will have to take him staright back to the vet if he stops eating or pooing. What a worry they are!

I'm so glad you all brought this up. Sofee picks up woodchips and small stones everytime she goes out for a pee. I have given up trying to get it out of her mouth, too much racing and growling :? . So now I simply trade her for a Cheerio as soon as we get back into the house. It's much easier for both of us!!! :D
Also, Sofee has eaten two pistachio shells herself and threw up both of them the next morning. I can't even take the nut bag out of the closet without her whining and begging!! I've had to scare my husband into not ever dropping another shell again! :yikes

Dylan keeps eating grass and leaves. He threw up today. It's a shame because he loves being in the garden but I have to keep calling him in every 5 minutes. :?

Back