• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Strange Behaviour... ** VETS UPDATE **

Kelly

I wonder if anyone can help.

Over the last few days I have noticed Chester has started fighting with his back paw. I know this sounds strange but it is always on his left side and he seems to get quite aggressive.

He is usually a really gentle little fella but this seems to really wind him up, his face changes and his teeth come out. We have been trying to take his mind off it when we see him doing it but am just concerned as to why this has started.

I had thought it only happened when he was tired but he did it again this morning. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes a dog can get a tick right between the toes, have a good look. Maybe take him to the vet, he might have a splinter or a little cut which is annoying him. :flwr:

Hi Kelly

Whereabouts in Herts are you? I was wondering where you got Chester from, was it local. We got Harvey and Alfie in Waltham Cross.

worth checking for seeds or even knotts on the paw

he may have something between his toes

Yvonne: We actually got Chester from a lady in Reading as the breeder in Waltham Cross didnt have any tri-colour boys at the time.

I know a couple of people who got their furbabies from a breeder in Waltham Cross. When Chester is a little older we are going to get him a playmate and will probably go there as we have heard good reports.

I have booked Chester in to see the Vets tonight so hopefully they can have a good route around his foot. He doesnt yelp or seem to be in any discomfort when I touch it though.

Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious. You can't help but worry about them can you.

hi Kelly,

If you are happy with Chester you should stick to the same breeder.

We love Harvey but he is extremely large for a cav, he is not overweight but weighs 15.5 kilos and is the size of a cocker.

Alfie came from the same place and is really small weighing only 5.5 kilos and the vet says probably wont get much bigger. They look like litle and large together. Whereabouts in herts are you?

For some reason the site seems to be having trouble with posts. If you look in the upper right hand corner of your post, there is a little x buttom that will allow you to delete it. I've had to do this twice today ;)

After every post I make, I am getting a notice of "debug". Don't hit send again, because it has already posted your comment (y)

Strange Behaviour.... ** UPDATE **

We live just outside Ware.

We went to the Vets last night & it doesnt sound too encouraging really. They have emptied his anal sacs & put him on some anti-inflammatory tablets to see if this stops him. Apparently he could be associating the pain of his bottom with his foot.

But then they have also asked me to keep a note of all scooting, digging, chewing as they think it may be SM. I have got to give them a call back in 2 weeks to go over it & then they will decide whether to refer him then. The Vet was wonderful, I had gone armed with all the info off the website but she actually brought the SM subject up first.

Am very upset about it all, it just seems so unfair. He is only 7 months old and such a wonderfully happy little fella. Fingers crossed it is his anal sacs but with some of the other things he does, I am not that hopeful. :(

I didn't think I would ever wish an anal sac problem on one of our little babies but heres hoping :xfngr:

I feel very sad for you and your dog but will pray that is not SM.
This will be a tuff few weeks for you, not knowing is very hard. I am sending lots of positive and hopeful healing thoughts your way. :hug:

Hi Kelly,

I too hope it's not SM but this is something Maxx does with his SM. I find it helps him if I massage his back feet. It stops him biting them and making them sore too.

Let us know when you get your appointment and I really hope that is is 'just' anal sacs that is causing the problem. I do know of other dogs who have bitten their back paws when they have had sore anal glands.

Give Chester a big :hug: from us :hug:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I will keep you updated.

How severe is Maxx's SM? How old was he when he was diagnosed? If Chester has SM, is it likely to be quite severe as he is so young to be showing symptoms? Sorry for asking so many questions, my head is buzzing at the moment.

This site is fantastic. I love reading everyone's post & I have learnt so much.

Hi Kelly....I am so sorry that you fear it may be SM. I will be thinking of you and Chester and hoping for a positive outcome. Please keep us posted. :xfngr:

Not good news Kelly. I'm so sorry to hear this. Yes, it's not normal for us to wish for anal sac problems....but in this case we're hoping that is what it is. Please keep us posted, we'll be thinking of you.

Kelly does Chester scoot a lot. Alfie has done this since he was small and still did it after his anal sac was emptied. Also he turns to bite his back very suddenly when he is walking. He does have food allergies so I think maybe he itches. Is your vets in Ware as this is also my vets and it would be good to know if it is the same place as they seem to be up on SM. Alfie is to be castrated on Friday so maybe I will mention it to them then. Does Chester scratch a lot as well. Hope everything is fine with Chester he is such a handsome boy.

Yes ours Vet is in Ware, we go to Chestnuts. The Vet (Fiona) was very up on SM and mentioned it to me before I got the chance to mention it to her. I have got to keep a diary for a couple of weeks and then give her a call back.

Yes he does scoot a lot. He always has. Emptying his anal sacs & worming him doesnt have any effect. The Vet I saw previously said he may have got into a habit of doing it but I think it is more than that.

I am not aware of him scratching a lot, he has his moments but I just thought that was "normal". He has taken to rubbing his ears with his paws over the last couple of weeks though.

It's all so confusing. I know some of it can just be classed as normal dog behaviour but the more I read the more convinced I am.

Back