• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sick from bully sticks

Jen

Gus seems to be getting sick from the free-range oderless that I purchased last week from Bullysticksonline. He had a bully stick Wednesday night, and on Thursday he had loose stools. Friday he was fine; we gave him another stick, he had about half and nothing happened. Last night, Sunday, he had the other half, and then we were up three times during the night with him vomiting and then the loose stools started this morning. We're going to the vet this afternoon, just to make sure there's nothing else going on, but it's looking like a reaction from the bully sticks, although I don't know why the vomiting started and not just the loose stools. :?

Has anyone else had the same reaction??

Once I bought bully sticks that had a coating of some sort on them - it made the sticks look darker in color. My cavs got diarrhea from that kind, so I will only buy bullies that I can look at before I buy.

I hope Gus feels better soon. :flwr:

Same here...I always make sure King likes a treat in a store before going to look for it online...because most onlien places that I bought treats from sell them in bulk. So I'd want to kno before hand... Plus with the bully sticks the only kind King can handle is the one's from "Cadet" and other brand he gets an upset stomach

Back from the vet. He's on Metronidazole for a gastro. infection of sorts, probably due to the bully sticks or him getting into something he shouldn't have...given we watch him like a hawk, we're going with the bully sticks. He's also on special food for four days, and orders not to give bully sticks for a week. If we decided to give him them again, we'll go with ones from our local pet store that didn't upset him. Maybe I can find out the brand and order them in bulk.
We brought the bullysticksonline print out to my vet, and she's very curious how they market them as odor free. I've emailed the company, we'll see what they say.

I was thinking that when I read it, about the odour free. Keep us posted on the reply. Glad your little one is on the mend.

i noticed zack got loose stools from bully sticks too. and certain other treats. good luck, hope gus heals up fast.

i would really like to know how they make them odor free. i used to get them from a bulk bin at the pet store, and almost always they had no odor, but occasionally i would get ones that did have odor :yuk: and the pet store person said they have no way of predicting which ones will have the odor and which ones won't. At about that point, i stopped giving them. kinda sad because he loved them so. But there really seemed to be a pattern with the looser stool--and that odor--NO WAY! blechhhh

luvzcavs said:
I was thinking that when I read it, about the odour free. Keep us posted on the reply. Glad your little one is on the mend.

This is the reply I got from the company regarding my email asking about how their products are odor-free:

"The only reason a bully stick smells is because the blood and urine have not been properly drained. We just take the extra time to make sure we rinse our bully sticks very well. We don't use any chemicals or anything like that in any of our products. All of our products are 100% natural. Thank you and have a great day."

:yuk: Sounds wonderful :yuk:

My Vet loves to turn the stomachs of his nurses by letting them kiss his Cavaliers then telling them that they have been on the farm with him whilst he has been castrating piglets and bullocks! Guess where the excess flesh ends up? :yikes :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
:yuk: Sounds wonderful :yuk:

My Vet loves to turn the stomachs of his nurses by letting them kiss his Cavaliers then telling them that they have been on the farm with him whilst he has been castrating piglets and bullocks! Guess where the excess flesh ends up? :yikes :lol:

well, as long at the testes have been rinsed, i suppose it's ok......

icon_whistling :flwr:

Jen said:
...This is the reply I got from the company regarding my email asking about how their products are odor-free:

"The only reason a bully stick smells is because the blood and urine have not been properly drained...."

:shock:
i think that was more than i wanted to know. i'm afraid i'll have nightmares......i guess i'll stick with sams yams and pegetables for the forseeable future....:lol:

I have just googled sams yams and pegetables, wow we don't have anything like that here. Do they last as long as rawhide chews ?

I think they don't last as long as rawhide chews, but they do last a while, at least for my two, including the one i refer to as Jaws. She is The Destructo when it comes to toys, and quite the Hoover in the backyard. A Sams Yam or carrot Pegetable will last her maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I haven't clocked it but although i don't have much experience with rawhides, my impression has been that they last longer than pegetables and Sams Yams. the Sams Yams are leathery, they are tough enough that i can't tear them into pieces except with great difficulty and patience. The Pegetables are hard cylinders and dogs can gnaw on them, it takes mine quite a while to get to the point where they can break it into smaller pieces so they can actuallly consume it.

There have recently been some recipes for making your own Sams Yams, I think it was on the Health and Diet forum and it was quite recently.

Back