PDA

View Full Version : Darn those matts!

Denise G.
5th March 2007, 09:50 PM
They really sneak up on you don't they??? I'm pretty religious about brushing Mia, but the other night I discovered a big mat under both her ears and three in her rear-end feathers. Not surprised about those, because she's pretty wiggly when I brush her back there. Luckily, I found a matt brush at Petco that worked pretty well and she was a very patient girl while I worked on them for the better part of TWO HOURS! I finally had to cut the matts out of her hiney feathers--she's very sensitive back there... :yikes

What do you guys use for matts?

Needless to say, I'll be paying much closer attention when I brush her from now on...what a pain! :roll:

inca
5th March 2007, 10:38 PM
i use a product called silk spirits its a protein oil normally used on the coat i rub a little between my thumb and fingers then tease the knot out it work great its takes a few mins but so worth doing i don't like having to cut them out I am sure most of us don't either

its made by Chris Christenson

BELLE'S MUMMY
5th March 2007, 10:51 PM
i use a product called silk spirits

Inca - where do you get this from it sounds like just the thing i've been looking for!

lbyerline
6th March 2007, 04:00 AM
My poor babies have such uneven hair on their ears from all the times I have had to cut them :(
We have what we call stickly weeds in our yard and they stick and you can not get them out. So I end up cutting them out :(

inca
6th March 2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000099.cgi?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehubintsecu red%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fP_index%2ehtml&WD=spitits%20silk&SHOP=%20&PN=Cats%2ehtml%23a3225c#a3225c

here you go ...for me its an essential in the grooming box and the smell is to die for ..

LauraD
7th March 2007, 03:20 PM
I find that it is easier to prevent the matts first (I had a nasty matting situation that took over 2 hours to get out too :sl*p: ). Since the last time Riley had bad matts, I now use a detangling spray before I brush him. Also I use a little extra sprayed (and worked in with my fingers) behind the ears and the silky feathery hair on the legs, chest, and hiney area. I use Petsilk leave-in Conditioner spray.
This has really reduced the production of matts and I haven't had to deal with them in months. I love this product, it's a must-have for me. :)