PDA

View Full Version : Look who I picked up!! Update...with PICS!

moniechris
6th March 2007, 02:05 AM
This poor little baby girl has been stuck in the Tampa Animal Services shelter for over a month. I am amazed that she has survived this long because it is a HIGH kill shelter. when I was trying to find out more about her, there were over THIRTY pages of dogs (with at least 20 per page). There are several "spaniel mixes" so I am going to take another look around when I am there to see if anyone else needs rescuing. They have been wonderful and are allowing rescue to take her in, so I am picking her up after work tomorrow. Here she is, she is definetly a mix, but has the cavie chestnut markings. the poor baby is scared to death and I can't wait to get her out of this hell hole!!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/rescue.jpg

We never would have known about this baby without the wonderful women at the shelter contacting us and we are soooo grateful! If you want to be involved in rescue, simply leave your name and number at your local shelter/county animal services and they will contact you if a baby needs your help!!!

luvzcavs
6th March 2007, 02:43 AM
She is lovely. She does look very scared though, poor love. Its good that you could help her :flwr:

Lindsay
6th March 2007, 02:48 PM
Hope all goes well for you today! So glad that there are people like you out there! :flwr:

moniechris
7th March 2007, 02:54 AM
What a damn day. :roll: So I spoke with the shelter representative this morning and "settled" everything, updated my name, all of my dogs' rabies tag info (including Zoey, who got her rabies shot yesterday, so this woman knew how many dogs I own) and I drive 45 minutes after work to pick up this little love. I get there and fill out all of the forms (which is an adoption form even though I work for a rescue) and they tell me that I CAN'T TAKE HER HOME because I live within city limits and you can only own four pets!!! What the hell!! (It's a darn good thing she doesn't know I have cats!! :wink: ) I am FURIOUS because this little girl is being punished because I love my dogs enough to have them all updated on their shots so they are in the system! GRRR :evil: It would have been AWFUL NICE of this lade to let me know this before I drove all the way down there to get rejected. I wanted to cry.

Believe me, we are working around this and she will be out by tomorrow morning at 8am sharp. (She will be in my home by 3pm..shhh!!!) I just can't believe that they would rather put this girl to sleep than give her to a rescue member who will find the perfect home for her. I made them SWEAR that she will be ok until tomorrow , we have 24 hours to get her out or they will put her down.

I went and visited her...I had to walk through ROOMS AND ROOMS FULL of dogs....they have over 500 right now. :cry: :cry: :cry: I can remember each one of their faces and I wanted to love on them all. When I finally got to her, she seemed so scared...they are so over crowded that a chow chow puppy was attached to the fence of her kennel by a leash. This puppy was so rambunctious and excited that I was on the floor near him that the little cavie girl was too afraid to come to the front of the kennel. I didn't get to pet her, but I told her that no matter what, I will get her out. We made eye contact, and I think she knew I was coming back.

I tell you, I was THIS close to hiring a homeless guy on the street to get her out for me...I can't stand that she is spending another night in there, but she will be here tomorrow. Say some prayers for her tonight...

Shay
7th March 2007, 02:54 AM
Good for you Monica. Thanks for helping this poor little girl!!! :flwr:

Maxwell&me
7th March 2007, 02:59 AM
Sending prayers your way that she finds her way to you~

Julie S
7th March 2007, 04:29 AM
Oh, this just breaks my heart! :( I honestly cannot stand to go into animal shelters (I'm a wuss, I know) ... I literally cry for days and days afterward.

Good for you! I am so happy she's going to be home with you tomorrow!

Maxxs_Mummy
7th March 2007, 02:11 PM
{{{{Monica}}}} hope you can find a way of getting her out. :hug:

inca
7th March 2007, 02:17 PM
oh monica how terrible my heart really goes out to you ....please keep us updated

things like this really bug me big time rules and boundries before the dogs happiness really makes me blood boil

Shay
7th March 2007, 05:07 PM
Monica....Any news for us??? I hope it's good news!! :xfngr:

moniechris
7th March 2007, 05:17 PM
Well...my contact is at the shelter right now filling out the application to get her out. We have had to fight, make a thousand phone calls and lie through our teeth to pull this off. icon_whistling

I figured out a way around the system...I am going to transfer Stewie to my MIL's name so that way I have a "free spot" in the hillsborough county computers so we won't have to go through this again. We have joint custody with my in-laws anyhow, so he spends every other week there, which is where he will be when I foster.

This is absolutely ridiculous that to the county, it seems more appropriate to keep a dog in a shelter with 500 other animals, then to give it to a person in a HOME with 4 dogs. Give me a break.

I am expecting a phone call in the next 5 minutes that she is out...cross your fingers. Then it is off to the vet for her, and the groomers!!

Lindsay
7th March 2007, 05:41 PM
:xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr:

Good luck today!

Shay
7th March 2007, 05:50 PM
This is absolutely ridiculous that to the county, it seems more appropriate to keep a dog in a shelter with 500 other animals, then to give it to a person in a HOME with 4 dogs. Give me a break.

That is just unbelievable. Makes no sense at all. Just another example of a ridiculous bureaucracy. Everything crossed on this end!!!

moniechris
7th March 2007, 06:01 PM
She's out!!!! And she will never have to see the inside of that horrible place again. The guy who got her for me said that she is really sweet, and already seemed relieved to be out. She was soaked in urine, and is now headed to the groomers. Poor little thing. I can't wait to get her!!

Shay
7th March 2007, 06:24 PM
That's the best new yet. :mexwav: :jump: :jump:

PamH
7th March 2007, 06:31 PM
I am so happy to hear this! Congrats. I hope you find a great home for her.
Pam

matties mum
7th March 2007, 06:41 PM
:jump: :jump: So pleased :mexwav: :snap: can we see photos
----- Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Crittercall
7th March 2007, 08:32 PM
Good for you, Monica. I'm glad you were able to work things out to get the dog - even if it meant "sacrificing" Stewie!

You know who I'd talk to about the quarantine time. But that's me. You've got enough brains to listen to your vet and do whatever he says is best. Are your other dogs vaccinated against kennel cough?

What will you name this new one?

JaneB
7th March 2007, 11:15 PM
How's your girl, Monica? Has she made it home yet? I've thought about you all day. Rescue is not an easy task, it just about wears you out emotionally. So proud of your tenacity. You go girl!

JaneB

Charleen
8th March 2007, 02:11 AM
Congratulations on freeing the little baby. Well done. Cannot wait to hear more.

moniechris
8th March 2007, 02:48 PM
What a sigh of relief!! I picked the sweet baby up form the groomers yesterday around 4pm and she smelled soooo good!! The poor little thing just seemed in shell shock and just curled into a little ball in my arms. She was a dream in the car and stayed in my lap with her head of my chest and just looked at me with these big sad eyes.

I took her to the vet and he said that she seemed healthy (minus the irregular heart beat) and that she showed no signs of coughing or nasal discharge. He said that if anything, the little baby probably contracted kennel cough while in the shelter and it had probably already run its course. She would no longer be contagious and I shouldn't have to isolate her. :D (I decided to anyhow so that my boys don't trample the poor little thing when she comes home)

She got back to my house and I took her on a short walk up and down the street. She looooves to be on the leash and outside. She just perked up and wagged her tail and pottied the second her feet hit the grass. When she came inside though, she became nervous again and went back into the "shell shock mode". I blocked her off in the sunroom and she had her own little room with a view of the golf course and a warm bed. She had no idea what to do with the bed and layed on the tile, so I picked her up and put her gently on the bed. She kept lifting her paws because she didn't know what it was :( . Eventaully she layed down and went to sleep for several hours. What a day!!

Later, around 11, she woke up and came up to the door looking for me and I again took her for a little walk. Again, she perked up, did a little prance and put her paws on my thigh and did a cavie stretch :l*v: My heart just leaped out of my chest and I gave her tons of hugs and praise.

This morning she seemed like a different dog, she was happier and a lot more outgoing. I can't wait to get home from work and post pictures. She looks so different than that terrified little girl in the shelter :D :D :D

Mary
8th March 2007, 02:59 PM
You are wonderful for all you have done for this sweet little girl and sounds like she is thanking you for it!!

Shay
8th March 2007, 03:05 PM
What a great story with a happy ending. Can't wait to see pics. You are an angel for rescuing this little girl. *ng*l

Denise G.
8th March 2007, 03:50 PM
Great news Monica--thanks for being this little girl's angel!!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Cathy T
8th March 2007, 05:03 PM
She sounds wonderful Monica!! And with a little tlc I'm sure she's going to make someone very very happy. I loved reading about her. You brought her to life for me with your description. How sweet that she had her little room with a view of the golf course. Good for her!! Well done, Monica, well done!

Maxxs_Mummy
8th March 2007, 05:17 PM
Really well done for getting her out of there, Monica - never mind the fact that poor Stewie now has new parents ;) I'm sure he doesn't mind really :lol:

The little one will soon settle in and I'm sure she trusts you already :flwr:

KimNIndy
8th March 2007, 10:12 PM
wow monica that was quite a rescue you did!!! thanks so much for all the work for this little girl. can't wait to see the pictures!

:D :D :D

k

moniechris
8th March 2007, 11:30 PM
Here are lots of pics of Haylie (I picked a name!!! YAAY!!)
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/Rescue%20babies/haylie023.jpg
Happy girl :D
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/Rescue%20babies/haylie017.jpg
I got a wooo wooo!!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/Rescue%20babies/haylie016.jpg
Cody is not quite sure about our house guest, but he warms up quickly
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/Rescue%20babies/haylie011.jpg
Who's a pretty girl?? I'M A PRETTY GIRL!!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/moniechris/Rescue%20babies/haylie008.jpg

Crittercall
8th March 2007, 11:52 PM
What fun! Poor little Stewie, having to miss out on everything.

I'm glad that Haley's in good shape and that she's making friends so quickly with everyone in your group. Looks like she'll make a great pet for someone.

Shay
9th March 2007, 01:12 AM
Ahhhh....She's smiling and looks so happy!! :flwr:

luvzcavs
9th March 2007, 02:11 AM
Oh wonderful pics and story. Good on you for helping this little girl. Are u keeping her for ever or just till you find a suitable home ?
You can really see the cav in her she is lovely.

Lindsay
9th March 2007, 02:20 AM
Monica, she looks so happy! So glad there are wonderful people out there like you that can give these sweet babies a good life until she finds her true mommy and daddy. I hope she never has to go through any more terrible things ever again! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
9th March 2007, 12:47 PM
Monica, she's simply beautiful. I couldn't have resisted either :flwr:

moniechris
9th March 2007, 02:58 PM
I am just fostering her for now, If I kept her then my hubby would move out :lol:

I also am in love with the high that rescuing gives, and I want to do this for the rest of my life. )Now I just need to win the lottery so I can do this full time :D) If I adopted her then I wouldn't be able to foster anymore, because I simply wouldn't have the funds or the room so I know that I am going to find her a great home where she will be somebody's baby :l*v:

nangel519
9th March 2007, 03:43 PM
Monica - she looks so wonderful! I'm sure you are so proud to see that smile on her face and know you are the one who put it there.

Congrats on a successful rescue! Here's hoping she finds her forever home soon!! :flwr:

Justine
10th March 2007, 12:48 AM
she has a happy and kind face ,her eyes remind me of my old lab.

KimNIndy
11th March 2007, 12:09 AM
oh she just looks beautiful! i'm sure she will be a wonderful guest while she's with you monica!

k

*Pauline*
15th March 2007, 11:19 PM
What a tranformation. I LOVE before and after pics, not that it's nice to see the before pics. She looks so relaxed now ans so fluffy. :D

Alison_Leighfield
16th March 2007, 02:42 PM
You have a very happy ending .... that is just wonderful news.

icon_welcome Haylie to the list, we all love you lots xxx

And Monica, you have nerves of steel and some guts girl!!! well done ;)

Alison. :flwr:

Lindsay
16th March 2007, 02:49 PM
Monica, is she still with you? How are things going? :flwr:

WoodHaven
16th March 2007, 02:56 PM
I also am in love with the high that rescuing gives, and I want to do this for the rest of my life. )Now I just need to win the lottery so I can do this full time :D) If I adopted her then I wouldn't be able to foster anymore, because I simply wouldn't have the funds or the room so I know that I am going to find her a great home where she will be somebody's baby :l*v:

My daughter has "caught" the fostering bug too. She is fostering a lab that was caught in a housefire. Poor thing lost most of her pads on her feet, her nails MELTED, she is missing bits of her ear. She had second and third degree burns all over her body -- her owners ditched her at the vets when they found out how expensive it is to treat a dog with burns for 2 MONTHS.

moniechris
16th March 2007, 04:16 PM
Haylie is doing wonderfully. She has changed so much in the week that I have had her. She is more outgoing, learning to approach my fiancee instead of cowering under the table and she has found her voice. She sings for her supper, she barks when we come home, she even chases my boys around the yard. She does the cutest little tap dance with her front paws when she is happy. I just love her.

Unfortunately, the home we had lined up for her changed their minds. They decided that they did not want to go through the pain of losing another dog to heart failure (they have already lost 3). :( They would have been the perfect home for her, but alas. Now I am searching through applications again :roll: If anyone would like to apply, let me know!

Cathy T
16th March 2007, 05:04 PM
Hang in there...the absolutely totally perfectly wonderful home is going to come along and it's all going to work out just right!

Kodee
22nd March 2007, 07:40 PM
I wander into this section about once a wk. The reason I hold off and then come and do all my reading on one day, is everytime, stories like this just get me :cry*ing: . Wow it started the moment I got to the second page of pics with her big smile and shining eyes. That is one happy dog - congrats to you and your family cause you obviously know how to make a confused scared dog confident and loved! That alone will make it so much easier to find her the perfect loving home.

Julie S
22nd March 2007, 10:46 PM
I love this story! Haylie sounds like a big bundle of sweetness. I am really hoping she finds her perfect home soon!

moniechris
22nd March 2007, 10:55 PM
Haylie is doing so well and I thank everyone who has been following her story. :D She is doing exceptionally well and has even grown fond of Michael (who acts like he has won the lottery every time she lets him touch her :D :D :D ) She used to cower under the couch every time he entered the room, and now she paws him for attention. Who knew!! I will post more pictures soon, but because of the Zoey fiasco, I have had my hands full. She still needs a home though, so please, if you know anyone interested, PM me!!

Lindsay
23rd March 2007, 02:40 PM
She is doing exceptionally well and has even grown fond of Michael (who acts like he has won the lottery every time she lets him touch her :D :D :D )

That is so cute :flwr: So glad she is coming out of her shell. I will let my coastal friends know she needs a home. :flwr:

Kodee
13th April 2007, 05:34 PM
My daughter has "caught" the fostering bug too. She is fostering a lab that was caught in a housefire. Poor thing lost most of her pads on her feet, her nails MELTED, she is missing bits of her ear. She had second and third degree burns all over her body -- her owners ditched her at the vets when they found out how expensive it is to treat a dog with burns for 2 MONTHS. That has got to be the saddest thing I have read in a long time. Your pet suffers through the damage of a home fire (imagine how scared that dog must have been) and you DITCH IT?? I dont put my pets above my children but certainly I move heaven and earth for them when in need as I would for my children. I just dont get some pet owners and why they have pets to begin with :mad: