• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do u get your dogs trimmed? clipped?

Mycavyangels

i was wondering as we are thinking of taking buddy for a trim,
Do u get your cavs trimmed? shaved? clipped?

I get harveys feet done but I love his ears and long shiny coat so I just groom him every day.

I do it myself :D I have also clipped Toby, Amy (Blue Star)'s dog and Charlie, my neighbour's Cavalier as well as a few others. I find it very therapeutic to groom and clip dogs - especially Cavaliers as everything is interspersed with doggy kisses :flwr:

We used to have Charley "trimmed and tidied", a couple of times a year.

Mind you, he had a very thick coat.

As he got older, he had skin problems, so was clipped in the summers for comfort.

Mary Alice has a much finer coat, we've just clipped her slippers due to the snow and mud.

We'll see how she copes with the heat in the summer. :)

Holly gets clipped every 2 months or so. She has a very heavy coat- absurdly so, given how tiny she is- and while I can keep most of it under control the ears are a lost cause.

Amber's coat is proving to be very fine, so I doubt she'll ever need regular clipping.

Lisa, It's amazing the differences, isn't it??

Charley was like a wooly mammoth by comparison to Mary Alice!! :lol: :lol:

I trim off the "bedroom slippers" as it worries me if I can not see toenails. I also shorten & thin out the hair around the boy's penises to help them aim a bit better.

Caraline said:
I trim off the "bedroom slippers" as it worries me if I can not see toenails. I also shorten & thin out the hair around the boy's penises to help them aim a bit better.
But I LOVE the look of slippers! Really it was the first thing I noticed on a cavalier! But you know, I have yet to live with the downside of them getting dirty etc.. so I may change my tune in a yr :lol:

I take off most of the hair on the underside of the ear flap and also right behind the ear (where matts tend to grow). They get a sanitary clip (monkey butts) and sometimes we take off the slippers (especially in winter). They don't look trimmed though and it's alot easier to groom them.

My two girls have been getting trimmed every 8 weeks or so. They both have too much hair! I take them to Chockie's breeder and she grooms them.

Geordie has never had his hair cut; his hair is easy to brush and comb.

I just trimmed Bentley up this past weekend. He was getting rather straggly looking, so I trimmed the length on his sides, his chest and his pantaloons in the back. Then I bathed him... once he was dry his pantaloons puffed WAY out, and still are way silly looking!! :sl*p: I left his feet alone because I just LOVE his hairy feet :lotsaluv: :wggle: :fool:

I've tried to get a rear-view picture because he really looks like a "wide load", but he won't let me get behind him to snap a shot. I'll have to enlist my husband's help.

I haven't trimmed Clancy at all. I can only imagine how his coat is going to be... he's so curly and wild!

WooHoo, just the thread I was looking for. My Toby is just one year old so I know his coat is still going to grow, but his feet are bothering me.

He has a very large amount of fur on his feet, they get wet and dirty. I am concerned also that something could be going on there that isn't good for him.

If you get your Cavs feet trimmed, can you tell me what I should tell the groomer to do? There isn't another Cavalier within 50 miles that I am aware of.

goldcountryrose said:
If you get your Cavs feet trimmed, can you tell me what I should tell the groomer to do? There isn't another Cavalier within 50 miles that I am aware of.

I do them myself. It is easy. I use a man's beard trimmer, or hair shears. I run all over the soles of the feet to de-bulk all the hair they are walking on. Then I just run the shears over the toenail area, just enough so I can keep an eye on their length. When they are asleep & really relaxed I also often get a pair of small hair scissors & sort of pull that hair from between their toes straight out & snip it short. I'd recommend getting a pair of round-nosed scissors for this, but at the moment I haven't been able to find any, so am using pointy sharp scissors. For this reason I am very careful & I aim the scissors so that if the dog jerks, the pointy side gets pushed away, rather than into the foot.

molly said:
I take off most of the hair on the underside of the ear flap and also right behind the ear (where matts tend to grow).

I do the same with Cody, I also trim along the edge of the ears as the hair was constantly aggravating her eyes.

i do get alfs feet done because if i try to do it he thinks its play time and i end up chasing him all over the house.then he wins because i am shattered.he doesnt lpay the dog groomer up he knows she means buisness.the price i pay for trim of feet and clean the inside of his ears out is 5 euro.not bad and worth it.

Zippy said:
Lisa, It's amazing the differences, isn't it??

Charley was like a wooly mammoth by comparison to Mary Alice!! :lol: :lol:

You're not kidding. Holly was clipped last week and now (apart from the fact that she has a very round little barrel chest) looks under than Holly. Wee short fluffy ears! I love her ears when they're long, but personally I think she looks good with them short as she has a small head and short ears make her look more in proportion. And she's less likely to put them in her food. I'm going to buy scrunchies for when they grow out again.

I like to see the full coat and only trim under my boys' paws and round izzy's slippers because they grow very long. The only reason for me to trim would be if the coat got badly fouled in some way (eg with paint) or the dog needed to be kept cool because of heart trouble. Izzy has a very bad heart, but doesn't need trimming as his coat is very fine.

i may watch the groomer when i take j in. i have been trimming myself behind his ears and under and his feet and give his butt a good going over as well with small hair scissors he usually has this after his bath and mad drying moment so more often than not falls asleep in the middle of it all. but i did want to see how the clippers are used. didnt know if human ones were the same as i have those and am always clipping my hubby and son!!! are they ?

Back