• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bio-Scan Analysis for allergies / sensitivities

CavyGirl

Has anyone heard of bio-scan analysis? Apparently, while being hooked up to a computer, it measures the body's stress responses and energy demands and can tell you what your allergies and sensitivities are, among other things. A person at a local holistic store said that they do it for pets too! So I called the lady they referred me to and made an appointment to bring Charlie in for next Friday. She says she'll spend between 1.5-2 hours with us, and we'll likely figure out what is causing Charlie's itchiness and we'll put together a plan for him. It will cost $125 CDN, but such a little price to pay if it works!!

Anyone else try something like this?

Have you Googled this on the internet to see what it says?

I've never heard of it, and I've been fighting itchy dogs for literally years - first one dog, now another.

I am assuming that your regular vet hasn't done anything satisfactory to help the dog (and I definately understand that!). Have you taken the dog to a Dermatologist?

I'll admit, I'm pretty much the eternal pessimist. This sounds like a great idea if it works, but I think I'd do some homework, ask for references, etc., before I went foreward with this.

By "putting together a plan" is she talking about holistic supplements, changing food, etc.? Both of my dogs were allergy tested using bloodwork and we tried the anti-allergan injections on them but the only real results I saw was that they would run when they saw me with a syringe in my hand. :shock: The veterinary dermatologist I worked for used skin testing a lot - the same kind that is used on humans. He seemed to have better results with that than the blood testing that I had opted for.

I'd like to know more about it - it sounds interesting and would be great if it works.

I have talked to two people that have had it done on themselves and swear up and down that it has changed their lives. The lady at the store has this computerized analysis done on her dogs, and said they were able to pinpoint exactly what foods their dogs did best on, and what was causing all their problems (including environmental issues) when other sources couldn't determine the likely causes. I can't say that I am a believer yet, but I am praying that this works. I read a bit about it, and it makes sense from the little I understand.

Charlie is only 3 months old, and he started itching about a week after I got him. The vet couldn't find the source of the problem. He did have a vial of Revolution for parasites, just in case. Other than that, I have a humidifier running all day where he sleeps, he only drinks filtered water, I have washed all the blankets in hypo-allergenic soap, I started him on fish oil and he is transitioning to a BARF diet. I know it is a very short time for all this, but I hate seeing him bite his legs...he is starting to lose hair where he bites. I really don't want to go through the long process of eliminating certain things out of his diet then having to wait a month to see if what I removed was a cause of his condition(while he suffers through it). She said the plan would consist of the foods that agree best with him (apparently a computer generated list shows what had the "best" reaction, and what had the "worst") and perhaps short term homeopathics to clear his body of toxins. It might not even be food thats causing the problems, but cleaners I'm using or other environmental allergens. :?

If this works I will be ecstatic...if not, I guess I will have to start eliminating certain foods and see a dermatologist. Once we see her next Friday, I will post the results of the visit!

I hope I didn't sound too pessimistic about it - I agree that holistic medicine can often do what traditional medicine can't.

But I do wish you would think very long and carefully about the BARF diet. I know that some people think it is the most wonderful thing around, but I've heard so many others that are totally against. I've studied pet nutrition and been around a bit and there is no way I would put my dogs on it. (I see all kinds of parasites and undesirables in the bones and raw food - except for maybe some veggies, and dogs don't need a lot of veggies.)

Would you consider posting another topic on here just asking about the BARF diet? It would be interesting to see the responses here.

Without wanting to sound like a wet-blanket, I'd wait til the heat is turned off in the spring.

Both of my doggies, all of my children and my Hubby get dry, itchy skin when the furnace is on.....

Our beloved Charley (first Cavalier) would stop itching the day the furnace was turned off.

I saw that you are using a humidifier, that's a good idea too.

If he's just a pup, I'd wait before using that method. Just my 2cents worth. :flwr:

I thought it might be the heat too, which is definitely still a consideration. There are just so many things that it can be. I really don't want him on any medication either, especially because I have no idea what the source of the problem can be. Thanks for all your concerns about the bio-scan. But because it is completely non-evasive, there is absolutely no harm in having it done, other than a hole in my pocketbook if nothing comes of it. If it does work out for Charlie, I think I'll have one done on myself too! :lol:

I have been reading about the BARF diet for a few years now and have been up and down on the issue. Charlie absolutely loves the stuff, and I must say, that his poops are a lot smaller and nice and hard (whereas they were starting to get pretty soft), and its only been 3 days. The frozen Bison meal I'm getting is made locally as well, its organic, and is human consumption quality. I'm still not completely convinced that the BARF diet is best, but I can't say that commercial dry dog food is either. I'm also considering Orijen 0% grain free food. Charlie is still a puppy, and I want to make sure that he gets everything he needs so he can grow up to be a healthy and strong Cavalier! :D I don't want to change all of Charlie's food so fast, so I'll do a little at a time and see what happens. Wouldn't it be great if the bio-scan concludes he's allergic to wheat (or whatever!), and it just so happens to be the case?!!?

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate your concern, and gladly welcome all your thoughts and experiences to help Charlie and me through our own itchy ordeal...

Allergies

I know this wont help much , but a Professor in Dermatology wrote an Article saying that Cavaliers are one of the Breeds most GeneticallySusceptible to Inhalant Allergies
Bet Hargreaves

the idea sounds awesome!! please let us know how it goes cause Im sure if this does work a lot of people will want to end up trying it! Also you said it costs 125 cdn just wondering how much that is in dollars?

I had a Bio Scan allergy test done a few years ago and to be perfectly honest I think it was a complete waste of money.

I have some food allergies (not intolerances) and so I have to be careful when eating out in restaurants and at other people's houses.

One of my main allergies is to lamb and this machine said that I didn't have an allergy to it - I had already had proper hospital tests that said I was - I would consider this to be extremely dangerous.

I know that I have 'proper allergies' as I have spent time hooked up to oxygen and on drugs because of them & until I knew exactly what my allergies were, I had to carry an Epipen everywhere with me - now I am just careful about what I eat.

Please think very carefully before you put your little Charlie through this - proper allergy tests done at your Vets or dermatologists and sent away to the labs to be cultured are much safer and not as expensive as you might think. You may also be covered by insurance for them. :flwr:

Back