• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Panting a lot ........

Zippy

Mary Alice has been panting a lot most of the day and all evening.

This is not normal for her and I'm wondering what could be causing it.

The only other change in her, is that she was snappy, once, this afternoon.

As I was stroking her, she suddenly growled, then snapped towards my hand.....most unlike her usual happy self.

We haven't had as much exercise this last week, as it's been very icy and terribly cold outside.

She still plays, is eating and has plenty of water available. Ideas?? :flwr:

I wonder if she is in some sort of pain. Panting can be associated with pain. What part of her body were you stroking when she snapped? My poor senior citizen Scarlett the Boxer occasionally gets a pancreatitis type of attack & she will pant like a steam train during these episodes.

Sounds like pain to me - I'd take her to the vet.

Hope she feels better soon! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

zippy maybe she was hot and bored? I know when kosmo gets hot he pants like crazy! Both of my dogs are starting to be destructive - I've only been giving about 10 minute walks because of this awful weather! :( I can't wait until spring is here

Thanks everyone.....I think she might have been in pain too.

She's fine today, we all went shopping and it was her first trip downtown. lol

I had been kissing her on the top of her head, while she was curled up on the bed. So, I was definitely stroking her around the head.

Barb, we're not sure if she's been spayed or not, no visible scar nor paperwork. Time will tell.....in the next few months.

We hope it was a one off but if it happens again, we'll have to investigate.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I just didn't associate the panting with pain. :)

Hi Zippy, have a quick look at my thread on lungworm, my George panted a lot with this. He also did the occasional yelp as though he was in pain and would twist round to look at his hindquarters (I forgot to put this in the thread and I know another dog with L/worm that also did the yelping thing). Probably isn't this but might be worth you taking a look at the other symptoms :flwr:

Back