PDA

View Full Version : Ellie starts classes tonight

enchantingdragon
7th March 2007, 10:52 PM
Wish us luck! She is in a Puppy class even though she is 7 months old because I really wanted her to socialize and I know at 5 months and up other dog breeds can be considerably larger then a Cavalier and I was worried that she would be scared. The trainer I talked to over the phone said all the dogs in the class (5 of them total plus Ellie) are all small dogs, Bichons Beagle and best of all there is another Cavalier in the class!! Im excited and I hope that this helps Ellie's fear issues. Wish us luck! Ill post after we come home and let you guys know how it went!

natalieandmike
7th March 2007, 11:10 PM
I'll be interested to see how it goes...we may be doing the puppy class too for Bianca...good luck you two! :flwr: -Natalie

molly
8th March 2007, 12:17 AM
Good luck tonight Jasmine. The trainer will also help you with some advice. She will be fine as you help her over her fears! Hope you love the class. Let us know how it goes.

enchantingdragon
8th March 2007, 01:32 AM
Ok so this is how class went. Some good some bad

When we first got there we had to wait outside because the other class hadnt let out yet. We saw the other Cavalier right away. She was a small Blen Ellie was afraid despite the other Cavalier's eagerness to play. Paul picked her up for a bit and then we held her as we kneeled on the ground. Would you know it she came into heat right there in the aisle at PetSmart. I went to buy her a pad thing while Paul talked to the instructor. We put her in the pad and the instructor said this class would mostly be talking if we wanted to come in anyway. So we took her and held her on our lap. Besides the 2 Cavaliers there were 2 Bishons, a Beagle, 1 Shih Tzu, and 1 Shih Tzu/Bishon mix. While the other pups ran around on their leashes as the instructor talked our lil Ellie sat in our lap and watched from above. After a while we lowered her onto the ground and she had few encounters with the other dogs and she would run behind our chairs to escape them. Everytime she allowed a dog to approach her we pet her and praised her. Then they did the command for watch me with treats. Ellie is all about the treats and because Paul trains with her at home not only does she perform watch me perfectly twice she sat for them as well. While the other dogs were working she started to get bolder and even ran to the Shih/Bichon mix owner and jumped up with her paws on his lap to try to get at some of his treats. When class ended we talked to the instructor and she said she thinks Ellie should be able to still come to class with her pads on. The ring is enclosed and the only male in the class is the Shih/Bishon mix. We figure we will just carry her from the car to the store and back because her fear issues are great right now and she did make some huge break through tonight that we would like to work from this success and move on. I was just so proud that she let other dogs come up to her and sniff her and she didnt growl or bark and even touched noses with the beagle. I think this was a good idea and I hope at the end of this 8 week course we will finally have a non-fearful pup! The funny thing is where Ellie lacks in fear she makes up for in actual training Between her breeder and my husband she has a lot down already so that part should be good for her. Any thoughts?

Lani
8th March 2007, 02:38 AM
Hi Jasmine. Aloha from Hawaii! :flwr:

Sounds like Ellie had a good class and how great that she is letting other dogs approach her. :-)

molly
8th March 2007, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a really good start! As she develops more confidence you will see lots of slow changes in her behavior.

Kodee
8th March 2007, 04:00 AM
Well I think that is better than a good first class, it was great. Kodee spent the first night in my lap most of the time too. Tonight was our second class and a whole new ball game! She is NOT treat motivated, couldnt care less what I offer usually, she is attention motivated. That works great at home but not in a room of dogs :sl*p: At free time she hid under the chair but would run out with her bottom tucked under and zoom around the room, back under the chair. She cracked everyone up as she wanted to play but was still to nervous.

You'll do fine and your right, she just needs a neutral territory to meet dogs first. Meeting on your own property is harder so this definately will help. Have fun!

How many of the dogs are male? Does the instructor think it wont be a problem then? Hope not, sounds like you enjoyed it!

Kodee
8th March 2007, 04:02 AM
Hi Jasmine. Aloha from Hawaii! :flwr:

Sounds like Ellie had a good class and how great that she is letting other dogs approach her. :-)
No! Wait are you really in Hawaii? Tell me its not so, you get sun and beach and I get sub zero and snow! OH lucky you are if your there!

Battie4
8th March 2007, 10:19 AM
just wondering was the class designed specifically for smaller dogs? Cause everytime we go to like petsmart to go see one of the puppy classes the "puppies" are huge retrievers or some other large breed dog.

*Pauline*
8th March 2007, 04:43 PM
All the dogs in Dylan's class are huge. It isn't a problem. They are all on leads though. ;)

enchantingdragon
9th March 2007, 12:29 AM
It just happened that all the dogs in Ellie's class are lil dogs. When I called I asked the trainer what other dogs were signed up and she told me and I was pleased that they were all small. I think its just a coincidence but Im happy about it nevertheless

Cathy Moon
9th March 2007, 01:38 AM
It just happened that all the dogs in Ellie's class are lil dogs. When I called I asked the trainer what other dogs were signed up and she told me and I was pleased that they were all small. I think its just a coincidence but Im happy about it nevertheless
What a blessing for you and Ellie that all the dogs in her class are small! This is such a wonderful opportunity for her. :D

Julie S
9th March 2007, 04:57 AM
Was Ellie only exposed to a small number of dogs when she was growing up?

Sounds like she had a great time at her first class! I think those puppy socialization classes sound like such a great idea. I can't wait to get our little one into that class as soon as we get her. Another thought - can you take her to doggie daycare when you're at work instead of crating her? The socialization benefits would be great!

enchantingdragon
9th March 2007, 12:31 PM
Honestly Julie I dont know the answer. I dont think so as when we went to pick her up her breeder had 6 other dogs and her litter had 5 pups so it seems she grew up around a lot of other dogs I think her issues come from the fact that she was use to being part of a large pact and now she is all alone to face these new experiences and thats a bit scary to her now that the other dogs are not with her

mishmosh
15th March 2007, 11:42 PM
My 6 mth old puppy is a bit of a nightmare at classes at the moment. He's sooooo excitable and over-confident and is more interested in trying to greet and play with the other dogs, kiss their owners or look out of the window!! icon_whistling