• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raw chicken necks for puppies

Caraline

All my dogs eat raw (skinless) chicken necks, but I do not know at what age I should allow our puppy Beau to have them. Normally I would ask his breeder but they are travelling o.s. at the moment.

So, those of you who feed necks, at what age did you start them off?

I've never fed raw chicken to my cavs, so I'm no help to you, sorry. But I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere not to feed raw meat to puppies as it's too much bacteria for their system - I will look for that Cavalier book. It might mention what age it's ok to start with raw.

Thanks Cathy. I've noticed that the raw v cooked meats views are different from country to country. Here in Australia almost everyone (I think) feeds raw meats at least occasionally. Our raw produce handling laws are extremely strict & we do not have the salmonella, e-coli, shigella & staph problems that some other countries do.

Beau's breeder started him on minced raw chicken & beef before he came to us, so his little tummy is fine with the actual meat. On his feeding guide, she had written "raw chicken necks" 3 times per week, but she hadn't written down at what age he could start with the bones. I'd like to start him so his little teeth & gums get a good workout, but obviously I don't want him choking on something that he was meant to chew up, rather than swallow whole. :yikes

I've been feeding Nemo chicken necks since he was 4 months. At first I boiled the necks and chopped them up into small cubes. works for me and for him.

Caraline said:
Thanks Cathy. I've noticed that the raw v cooked meats views are different from country to country. Here in Australia almost everyone (I think) feeds raw meats at least occasionally. Our raw produce handling laws are extremely strict & we do not have the salmonella, e-coli, shigella & staph problems that some other countries do.

Beau's breeder started him on minced raw chicken & beef before he came to us, so his little tummy is fine with the actual meat. On his feeding guide, she had written "raw chicken necks" 3 times per week, but she hadn't written down at what age he could start with the bones. I'd like to start him so his little teeth & gums get a good workout, but obviously I don't want him choking on something that he was meant to chew up, rather than swallow whole. :yikes

When I fed chicken necks I started by holding onto one end while the dog gnawed on the other. I imagine if you started this way with Beau he would learn he needs to chew them. I started raw necks with Bentley when he was about 4mos old. He had NO problem learning to chew them up properly.

How nice for you that Australia has such stringent rules in place in regards to food!! I wish our system worked that efficiently here in the US... there have been a rash of problems lately, from fresh leaf spinach to chicken to peanut butter :yikes ! Makes me worry!

BarbMazz said:
When I fed chicken necks I started by holding onto one end while the dog gnawed on the other. I imagine if you started this way with Beau he would learn he needs to chew them. I started raw necks with Bentley when he was about 4mos old. He had NO problem learning to chew them up properly.

:sl*p: What a sensible idea. That is what I will do. Thank you!

xox

Back